• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

NC700X vs. DR650 Today - Looking to add some dirt to my life

It seems to me that adding Rally Raid components to the CB500X would be an expensive proposition without much assurance that you'd end up with a bike that is truly good in the dirt.

A lot of club pals ride dual-sport events and many of them have switched happily from the DR650 to the DR400. :)

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!

Thank you everyone for the feedback. Went and picked up a 2017 CRF250L today with 837 miles on it. Nice of the previous owner to break it in and do the first service for me :)

Just got back from a 50 mile ride and I'm all smiles. This is EXACTLY what I was looking for.

• I can flat foot it comfortably.
  • It's feels significantly lighter and easier to manage than the DR650 did.
  • It reminds me of my 2012 CBR250R - same motor just detuned - in that it makes going 30 mph leaned over in turns a ton of fun.
  • It took it on some local gravel roads and probably did them 40% faster than on the NC
  • Definitely not fast, not even as fast as my first ninja 250 back in 2001, but man it's fun to wring this little guy out.

20200808_163541.jpg20200808_163512.jpg

Hard to go wrong with the CRF. Fun fact: I have seen motorcycle MSRP markdowns that were(are!) greater than the total cost of a cherry late model CRF250L. Mine is well modded but the single most effective change was putting on a 45 tooth rear sprocket (wanted the front kept at 14T to preserve the chain). I had to file the chain guide but the bike feels like a much more powerful bike and the top speed and mileage is the same. It is unnatural how understressed the motor feels with the lower gearing. I started with the 13T front sprocket and it was a revelation.

Congrats on CRF. I was in the same boat. NC700 will never be able to do what a dedicated dual-sport or a dirt bike can do. I test rode DR650 and hated it. Not sure where all that bragging buzz about DR is coming from but to me it felt like a heavy uncomfortable pig. I ended up picking up a DRZ which is lighter and more capable in dirt. Its a bit too tall for me though so I might put it up for sale. Wasn't able to find any WR250 which I was initially aiming for. Might just pick up a 250L as you did but I ve never test ridden one.

Last edited:
Not sure where all that bragging buzz about DR is coming from but to me it felt like a heavy uncomfortable pig.
The "bragging buzz" about the DR650 is that it doesn't cost that much either to buy or maintain, nothing so sophisticated that it can't be worked on in a third world country, can do highway speeds all day without winding out, is lighter than the BMW 650 or KLR 650 and does dirt better than either, has an incredible aftermarket in every category, and for some being able to achieve a low seat height without much compromise is a plus.

If you don't need the faster highway speeds though a decent smaller-displacement dualsport that's even slightly lighter is going to win.

Congrats on CRF. I was in the same boat. NC700 will never be able to do what a dedicated dual-sport or a dirt bike can do. I test rode DR650 and hated it. Not sure where all that bragging buzz about DR is coming from but to me it felt like a heavy uncomfortable pig. I ended up picking up a DRZ which is lighter and more capable in dirt. Its a bit too tall for me though so I might put it up for sale. Wasn't able to find any WR250 which I was initially aiming for. Might just pick up a 250L as you did but I ve never test ridden one.
Looks like you're in Lancaster, I'm in York. If you want to meet up I'd be happy to let you test ride mine if you let me check out your DRZ :) I'll PM you.

Hard to go wrong with the CRF. Fun fact: I have seen motorcycle MSRP markdowns that were(are!) greater than the total cost of a cherry late model CRF250L. Mine is well modded but the single most effective change was putting on a 45 tooth rear sprocket (wanted the front kept at 14T to preserve the chain). I had to file the chain guide but the bike feels like a much more powerful bike and the top speed and mileage is the same. It is unnatural how understressed the motor feels with the lower gearing. I started with the 13T front sprocket and it was a revelation.
So, would you recommend 13T or 14T front with the 45 rear?

I think the 45 is what I'm thinking about going with, but want to learn more.

I'd like more low end power than top speed..

Cheers

So, would you recommend 13T or 14T front with the 45 rear?

I think the 45 is what I'm thinking about going with, but want to learn more.

I'd like more low end power than top speed..

Cheers

The 45T with 14T front worked well for me and my chain has held up very well, which I partially attribute to sticking with the 14T front sprocket. The bike was extremely easy to ride off road with the 45T rear. I am currently running the stock gearing as a test to see what the bike feels like with just the power upgrades I made. It feels great on the street but I don't like it off road as the clutch modulation required in slow technical uphill sections seems excessive.

Back