• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

NC750-XA ecu/pcm

Craigeng

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Guys,
I recently bought a NC750XA stolen recovered.
When it arrived I was horrified to see the ecu was missing... at least I think it is? under the front seat section is a plug hanging in the wind.
I have a key and when no key is in the HISS light flashes (guess that is the immobiliser?)
When I put the key in and turn on ignition the HISS goes out.
If I purchase a new ecu will it work or will it need coding?
Due to the HISS going out when key is on I guess the immobiliser is key barrel controlled?

Or any other help would be welcome

Craig

This is an interesting question because I don't remember if anyone mentioned the legal aspects of ECM/PCM replacement.
The Service Manual only mentions something like this:
"If the ECM/PCM is replaced, perform the following:
- Key Registration Procedure (page 23-x)
- Clutch Initialize Learning Procedure (NC700Xx) (page 12-xx)"

Hi Lootzyan,
Thanks for that... Legal requirements?
I am guessing the clutch procedure refers to the XD with a PCM?
although the unit is missing the bike is an XA and only one plug under the seat hanging in the wind,
do you think it can be replaced with used one or would it have to be new at as you will know silly money

thanks,
Craig

First, my guess is as good as yours.
I think you can use a used ECM suitable for your model.
In your case, it is probably enough to complete the Key Registration Procedure.
Here is an example from the 2011 Service Manual:

Capture (1024x541).jpg

First, my guess is as good as yours.
I think you can use a used ECM suitable for your model.
In your case, it is probably enough to complete the Key Registration Procedure.
Here is an example from the 2011 Service Manual:

View attachment 50820
I did not review the ECM installation steps to see if there is some kind of hard reset or initialization process for an old ECM. It looks like from the key registration procedure, a new ECM perhaps has a startup program where it will look for two new keys. A used ECM simply slapped into the bike will already have keys programmed, and wouldn’t accept a new key that happened to be in the bike simply when the ignition switch is turned on, so you would need to go with the third key or additional key procedure, with which I am unfamiliar.

There is a separate procedure in case all keys are lost.
I do not really want to analyze it, but at the beginning it is mentioned that in this case the ECM should be replaced with a new one.

Capture (1024x530).jpg

I think a used ecm will not accept new keys, it seems to me if you lose all keys you have to replace ecm and keys.... if like my case you lose ecm the existing keys are useless but also reading between the lines you can only assign keys to an ecm to which you have a working key.... the only other option is a virgin ecm with new keys as is pointed out in both the examples above at procedure 1.
My guess is any ecm on ebay is useless without a working key... but I thank you all because without your imput it would have taken me much longer to get to this point.
I would like to share my solution. I checked the part number of my ecu with Honda from the vin. I have luckily found an ecu with keys barrel and antenna (chip reader) online and ordered it, so I reckon this cant fail new locks, ignition barrel ecu and two keys. phew lucky
ecu alone from honda over eight hundred quid...... crazy

Is there an option to disable HISS and use the keys you have?
In our case, Honda-USA made sure that we do not have any problems with immobilizers. ;)

Is there an option to disable HISS and use the keys you have?
In our case, Honda-USA made sure that we do not have any problems with immobilizers. ;)
That sounds like something really smart to consider. Install a US market ECU and bypass HSS if all else fails.

That sounds like something really smart to consider. Install a US market ECU and bypass HSS if all else fails.
Wow yes.... end of immobiliser problems...
So many things are so different in the US..... like in the US they have the right to repair, meaning the manufacturers have to disclose all the tech you request.... unlike UK where you get..."Dealer only"...
Also software protection dongles not allowed.... passwords yes dongles no
I have a sneaky feeling the HISS falls into a similar category so when I lose my keys unlike here They cant force you to buy a new ecu at 1000 bucks.... they would probably by law end up having to replace it. So sod the security for motorbike theft,,, just remove it.
In uk since they realised they could code things on vehicles in the name of security.... its become a joke so you have to take to dealer and buy over inflated manufacturer parts.... even the tyre pressure sensors are coded so you have to but theirs at 100 quid each.... who is going to streal a tyre pressure sensor from inside the tyre???

Wow yes.... end of immobiliser problems...
So many things are so different in the US..... like in the US they have the right to repair, meaning the manufacturers have to disclose all the tech you request.... unlike UK where you get..."Dealer only"...
Also software protection dongles not allowed.... passwords yes dongles no
I have a sneaky feeling the HISS falls into a similar category so when I lose my keys unlike here They cant force you to buy a new ecu at 1000 bucks.... they would probably by law end up having to replace it. So sod the security for motorbike theft,,, just remove it.
In uk since they realised they could code things on vehicles in the name of security.... its become a joke so you have to take to dealer and buy over inflated manufacturer parts.... even the tyre pressure sensors are coded so you have to but theirs at 100 quid each.... who is going to streal a tyre pressure sensor from inside the tyre???
I'm in the USA, and the three new motorcycles (Honda and Zero) I bought in the last 11 years do not have immobilizers. However, the Bombardier Recreational Products machines do have electronic keys (they call it DESS). I think a BRP dealer can program a new key to an old ECM, so ECM replacement probably not required if keys lost.

Nearly every automobile/light truck sold in the States lately has a chipped key. However, I have a vehicle built in the last 5 years that does not. So, it's a mixed bag.

That sounds like something really smart to consider....
This question becomes more and more legitimate.
My new vehicle has a keyless ignition system. I must have the unlocking transmitter with me. This is today's norm.
So far, I have neglected to find out what to do if the entire security system and the starter breaks down. I don't know if there is any temporary bypass of the security system. And I'm far from the dealer.
I have known about the existence of such a system for a long time, but this is the first time I experience it myself. I guess it's time to think about preventive measures.

I wonder if things are changing in the states?
I don't think lack of immobiliser protection on mega bucks machines is down to cost of retail.... my thoughts are its legislation on blame?
But that is just a guess.....
Yes keyless cars.... I have a polestar completely keyless... there is an instant connection to polestar above the rear view mirror, connect with customer support and an sos button.
I have never pushed either but keyless whet would happen with no access to get in the vehicle??? who knows.
I can now unlock and drive using my phone..... Mmmmm not going to rely on that.... ever.
got the used replacement of ecu keys chip reader and locks on the way for the NC750 so will let you all know.

mzflorida

That sounds like something really smart to consider. Install a US market ECU and bypass HSS if all else fails.​

What a top Idea.... wish I had thought of that.... but you think Honda would have missed that??? I doubt it.
All the cash the manufacturers are reaping from Europe.... probably find (like DVD's) it will recognise wrong region???
But I love all the help you have all offered.

Craig x

This question becomes more and more legitimate.
My new vehicle has a keyless ignition system. I must have the unlocking transmitter with me. This is today's norm.
So far, I have neglected to find out what to do if the entire security system and the starter breaks down. I don't know if there is any temporary bypass of the security system. And I'm far from the dealer.
I have known about the existence of such a system for a long time, but this is the first time I experience it myself. I guess it's time to think about preventive measures.
Hi Loot..... I am sure you are on with it, but you really need find the answer to this..... lets hope it never happens

...but you really need find the answer to this..... lets hope it never happens
I think it's better to rely on Google search than on hope. There is always a high probability that someone already has a solution to the problem you are looking for. In my case, a phrase like "push button start bypass for 'my vehicle'" produces more results than I would like.
In your case, searching on Google for example "Honda HISS disable" gives many instructions, some interesting and some naive.

Back