• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

NC750X manual Power thoughts

InfernoST

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi All
I have a quick question regarding the power of the NC750X manual. When I was researching the machine I came across a bunch of Videos stating that the bike could use more power, am I the only one finding the bike has plenty of power?
I find the bike to be plenty fast and powerful, when I want to pass it does it quickly and effortlessly with cruising at 70+ with my fat arse a non issue. Even though my old 650 Burgman has similar power specs this machine is so much more lively and willing.

I love my NC700X. It has plenty of power for the riding I do all over town and in the rural areas.
With that said, I just returned from a week long trip on my ST1300. The next morning I rode the NC to work and immediately felt the power difference/deficiency (50hp vs 120hp). The necessary power is relative to the rider, what they are used to and their expectations.

Hi All
I have a quick question regarding the power of the NC750X manual. When I was researching the machine I came across a bunch of Videos stating that the bike could use more power, am I the only one finding the bike has plenty of power?
I find the bike to be plenty fast and powerful, when I want to pass it does it quickly and effortlessly with cruising at 70+ with my fat arse a non issue. Even though my old 650 Burgman has similar power specs this machine is so much more lively and willing.
I have a 700 and I find that it has plenty of power. One’s satisfaction with the NC would depend on their expectations.

I have noted over the years that an often cited reason for selling an NC and moving on to another motorcycle was perceived lack of power. That is not a strike against the NC, but rather I always figure those people simply may not have done their research before buying an NC. The power output is not kept secret.

We have a 700 and a 750. They are pretty similar.

I have no issues with the power, it is not a sport bike but also not intended to be. For what it is, it manages very very well. In fact I think as a practical all-around bike it is among the best out there.

I feel like a lot of the NC “reviews” out there are from folks who would never actually ride this type of bike and just don’t get it. As a result, you get these lukewarm reviews that parrot each other and make it seem like the NC is an embarrassment of a bike — a bastard child that Honda could care less about — whose only decent application is “commuting”. I take all of them with a big grain of salt.

I have both an ST1300, and the NC700. Sure , the 1300 is smoother, more comfy, and more powerful. It’s also heavier, gets about half the gas mileage, and is harder to work on.
I find they complement each other- the NC is loads of fun to ride, powerful enough to do highway duty when needed, and MUCH less hot in the steamy summer months.
It’s a keeper!

I feel like a lot of the NC “reviews” out there are from folks who would never actually ride this type of bike and just don’t get it. As a result, you get these lukewarm reviews that parrot each other and make it seem like the NC is an embarrassment of a bike — a bastard child that Honda could care less about — whose only decent application is “commuting”. I take all of them with a big grain of salt.
I actually saw a few reviews that were very complimentary and one article said it is the best commuter bike. But you are correct, many reviews are pretty lukewarm, with descriptive words like 'efficient,' 'competent' and 'practical' used as the keywords. It is also a fairly popular large displacement bike in Europe/Asia but seems to be considered too small and underpowered here in the US, largely because we have a very different market here, which is dominated by 900 pound HD cruisers.

I have to admit that I have a bit of apprehension concerning the power of my soon to acquire NC 750. By way of explanation I have ridden liter bikes pretty exclusively since 1977, except for 3 bikes, a 2000 750 Nighthawk, a 2003 Triumph Bonneville 863 and a CB 500x all of which I felt were underpowered and under braked, particularly the CB 500x, but my needs have changed lately and I'm hoping the NC has enough power and brakes to satisfy my current needs.

I agree. Mainstream motomedia membership is generally composed of horsepower crazed “testers” than cannot understand the purpose of a bike like the NC. I pay no attention to those types of reviews. In addition, dealer salespeople can sometimes poo-poo less powerful (and less profit margin) bikes and steer buyers away from the usable, practical NC series.

The word "boring" is used for the NC7x0 constantly in reviews, and I read and watched dozens before I picked mine up. I don't think they find the bike hopelessly underpowered, but perhaps unengaging. I do have some of my own opinions, but this is my first bike after all so what do I really know?

I think a lot of the cries of boredom come from people who review liter sport bikes for a living and then get on an NC7x0 and don't know what to do with a motorcycle that has adventure bike looks but with a car-like redline and a storage compartment where the fuel tank should be. I agree that a lot of reviewers simply don't "get" it. In a way, I see my NC700X the same way I would a later-model Accord V6 with a 6-speed or a Camry TRD. They've got the edgy looks, and enough pep to not literally lull the driver to sleep; but the primary goal is sporty practicality. That's where the NC shines. And that's exactly why I bought it. It's not a race bike that stomps all over Lambos from a red light. But my Corvette also isn't my daily driver.

Let’s not forget that NC stands for New Concept. It’s design intentionally steps away from the common high reving sport bike or heavy cruiser models that dominated the market. Efficiency and practicality were important design goals.

I have to admit that I have a bit of apprehension concerning the power of my soon to acquire NC 750. By way of explanation I have ridden liter bikes pretty exclusively since 1977, except for 3 bikes, a 2000 750 Nighthawk, a 2003 Triumph Bonneville 863 and a CB 500x all of which I felt were underpowered and under braked, particularly the CB 500x, but my needs have changed lately and I'm hoping the NC has enough power and brakes to satisfy my current needs.
If you are looking for something comparable to a liter bike, you are setting yourself up to be disappointed with NC750. The NC has similar power to the CB500x (a different torque curve though).

Powerful bikes have their pluses, but they can be more boring than a great all purpose bike like the NC.
I test drove a Yamaha Tracer 900 last year.
It was so 1 dimensional (power-on, power-off, and lots of lurching and snatching in between) that I was bored after 5 minutes.
And if you wanted to use that power, the engine had to be in the mid-range of its torque curve.
It would make a horrible all around daily driver for me.
Just another man's opinion.

Powerful bikes have their pluses, but they can be more boring than a great all purpose bike like the NC.
I test drove a Yamaha Tracer 900 last year.
It was so 1 dimensional (power-on, power-off, and lots of lurching and snatching in between) that I was bored after 5 minutes.
And if you wanted to use that power, the engine had to be in the mid-range of its torque curve.
It would make a horrible all around daily driver for me.
Just another man's opinion.
My first bike was a Vespa GTS 300. While I ultimately ended up wanting more interaction in the form of manual gear shifting, I loved the sheer usefulness of its under-seat storage, top case, glove box, and center stand. Felt like I was in a self-sufficient bubble of sorts haha. That kind of practicality is part of what’s drawn me to the NC, as it means that I’ll be able to use it that much more in everyday life.

I find that its fun to ride the NC750 (solo) and I use pretty much all the power it has. No issues and good passing ability in 4th gear.

Actually, I like it better than my big motor bikes where I very rarely use all the power available.

I like the sound of the bike accelerating and decelerating through the gears with perfect DCT shifts every time. I run the DCT in mode S1.

I agree. Mainstream motomedia membership is generally composed of horsepower crazed “testers” than cannot understand the purpose of a bike like the NC. I pay no attention to those types of reviews. In addition, dealer salespeople can sometimes poo-poo less powerful (and less profit margin) bikes and steer buyers away from the usable, practical NC series.
You can't hardly blame moto reviewers though for not being generally impressed with the NC. If you had the ability to ride every new latest and greatest motorcycle that came along, I'm guessing in comparison you too would just find it just adequate, if not a little boring. After all it's nearly 500 pounds and has just over 50 horsepower, has a single disc front with a 2 pot caliper and runs out of power at 6200 rpms. Those are not mind blowing numbers. It may indeed be a great motorcycle, but with regards to many of today's motorcycles, in all categories other than economy, it falls woefully short.

I have ridden CBR 250s, Ninja 300s and R3's and if you asked me, I would describe them as good beginner bikes for 16 and 17 year olds, but there are full grown experienced riders that tell me they have plenty of power, even for touring. I have a buddy that absolutely loves his CBR 250, and rides it all over the country. I just dont see it, and if I were asked to write a review on them, it would not be very complimentary, and most likely would not satisfy the owners of those motorcycles. I mean, they are nice little motorcycles, very attractive, very affordable, very reliable, but TO ME not very exciting to ride.

You can't hardly blame moto reviewers though for not being generally impressed with the NC. If you had the ability to ride every new latest and greatest motorcycle that came along, I'm guessing in comparison you too would just find it just adequate, if not a little boring. After all it's nearly 500 pounds and has just over 50 horsepower, has a single disc front with a 2 pot caliper and runs out of power at 6200 rpms. Those are not mind blowing numbers. It may indeed be a great motorcycle, but with regards to many of today's motorcycles, in all categories other than economy, it falls woefully short.

I have ridden CBR 250s, Ninja 300s and R3's and if you asked me, I would describe them as good beginner bikes for 16 and 17 year olds, but there are full grown experienced riders that tell me they have plenty of power, even for touring. I have a buddy that absolutely loves his CBR 250, and rides it all over the country. I just dont see it, and if I were asked to write a review on them, it would not be very complimentary, and most likely would not satisfy the owners of those motorcycles. I mean, they are nice little motorcycles, very attractive, very affordable, very reliable, but TO ME not very exciting to ride.
In 2012, the NC was the latest and greatest motorcycle that came along, so I bought one.

Moto media types need to understand that not everyone is looking for the same attributes in a motorcycle. They often fail because they focus narrowly on the same features they like, thinking the rest of riders all want the same thing. The powerful bikes that testers get excited over are of no interest to me.

Fuzzy went to Alaska with me, he riding his very capable VersysX 300cc. MCN reviewed that bike and called the engine a joke. I wrote to the editor and we had a conversation about their review, and why I disagreed with it and how it did a disservice to the readers. The editor seemed to have difficulty seeing my point of view. For whatever reason, the magazine has since gone out of business.

MCN reviewed that bike and called the engine a joke. I wrote to the editor and we had a conversation about their review, and why I disagreed with it and how it did a disservice to the readers. The editor seemed to have difficulty seeing my point of view. For whatever reason, the magazine has since gone out of business.
When MCN reviewed an '18 NC750X manual, it was a glowing review.
They loved the bike.

And therein lies the problem with these “professional reviews” by motorcycle media outlets — many of the reviewers have become desensitized to motorcycling in a way because they’re exposed to such a vast number of bikes and constantly trying out the latest and greatest. As a result, I’m sure that many of the bikes just start to “bleed together” so it makes sense that a bike like the NC would be tossed aside by many as a “boring commuter” that offers nothing new or exciting other than storage.

Your average customer, though, will never get to experience that breadth of bikes. Instead, they buy specific bikes for specific reasons. That means that many of these comparisons made by professional reviewers end up being fairly useless in real world scenarios, and why so much of what makes a bike “good” simply comes down to personal preferences and experiences (as I imagine your friends with the CBR 250 can attest to). Personally, I could care less that the NC has a single disk up front for example — the bike is still capable of stopping well and that’s all that matters to me. If it’s different from another bike I’ve ridden, I’ll get used to it so long as my overall experience is positive.

When it comes to reviews, I prefer hearing from your average rider who has ridden the bike for awhile and comments on why they chose the bike, what they use it for, their personal list of pros / cons, what accessories they’ve added, things they wish would be different, whether they’d buy it again, other bikes they looked at, etc. To me, that’s infinitely more helpful and meaningful than Motorcyclist Magazine giving me a 23 minute video where the reviewer is trying to rehash hastily memorized stats in an out-of-breath voice while lane splitting at 73mph on the highway.

Just my two cents.:D

Back