• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

NC750X manual Power thoughts

If these reviewers would take the NC to the Smokies, they could see where the bike shines....ride the Dragon, Cheraholla, hell bender, Wawah road...out ride most of cruisers, keep up with most sport bike riders (except the ones who really know how to ride), easy to keep in its power-band, stable in a lean (heck Tacoma has a NC track bike) and get 70-80+mpg in the Smokies doing it....Put knobbies on it and you can take it on sand roads, forestry roads, some single track lanes....is it a dirt bike, no....is it a dual sport, no....however, you can take it to places some dual sports go...and you can do Interstate speeds (or higher) to get there....

When MCN reviewed an '18 NC750X manual, it was a glowing review.
They loved the bike.
I don't remember the time frame, but MCN editors changed at one point, and the publication swirled down the drain after that. The glowing NC report was likely the prior generation testers and writers.

Paper stats don't favor the NC, but the actual lived experience does. Glenn Curtis set his motorcycle speed record (136mph/219kph) with only 40 horsepower from a 4410cc V8 engine. Our top speed might only be 125mph but I think only @TacomaJD would regularly approach that speed.

Compared to the C50 I own, the NC is a lithe ride. I think even my 30hp DRZ has a lot of gusto. Both the NC and DRZ have a power-to-weight ratio of .1, which exceeds most cars and is more than enough for me.

The only time I found the power 'lacking' was riding two-up while climbing a mountain pass, probably over packed with luggage, and trying to exceed 80mph. You know, stuff one doesn't actually need to do.

Basically, the reviewers were used to reviewing sporty and muscly bikes, and imagine that's the reason anyone buys a bike. Keep in mind in NA, a bike is typically a "toy" instead of a "vehicle". Most (certainly not all) bike owners in NA have a car for commuting and a bike for fun.
Imagine reviewing a string of Ferraris, Lambos, Hellcats, etc. and then being asked to review a Civic or a Corolla. If you're in the "fun-focused" mindset, you would probably complain about the car.
Ultimately the NC was designed as a commuter, and most North Americans don't "get" that.

Basically, the reviewers were used to reviewing sporty and muscly bikes, and imagine that's the reason anyone buys a bike. Keep in mind in NA, a bike is typically a "toy" instead of a "vehicle". Most (certainly not all) bike owners in NA have a car for commuting and a bike for fun.
Imagine reviewing a string of Ferraris, Lambos, Hellcats, etc. and then being asked to review a Civic or a Corolla. If you're in the "fun-focused" mindset, you would probably complain about the car.
Ultimately the NC was designed as a commuter, and most North Americans don't "get" that.
When insurers were giving discounts during the early days of the pandemic under the assumption people weren't driving as much, I was peeved to find out that I didn't get one for my bikes. I even called them to ask why I didn't get a kickback on that policy.

I was personally offended when I was informed that they assumed motorcyclists didn't ride that much anyway and the company assumed that all bikes were hobby vehicles and priced policies accordingly.

This is the country that used to drive motorcycle development and style. We have some of the best roads and open spaces to enjoy our bikes on. Bah! Humbug!

And therein lies the problem with these “professional reviews” by motorcycle media outlets — many of the reviewers have become desensitized to motorcycling in a way because they’re exposed to such a vast number of bikes and constantly trying out the latest and greatest. As a result, I’m sure that many of the bikes just start to “bleed together” so it makes sense that a bike like the NC would be tossed aside by many as a “boring commuter” that offers nothing new or exciting other than storage.

Your average customer, though, will never get to experience that breadth of bikes. Instead, they buy specific bikes for specific reasons. That means that many of these comparisons made by professional reviewers end up being fairly useless in real world scenarios, and why so much of what makes a bike “good” simply comes down to personal preferences and experiences (as I imagine your friends with the CBR 250 can attest to). Personally, I could care less that the NC has a single disk up front for example — the bike is still capable of stopping well and that’s all that matters to me. If it’s different from another bike I’ve ridden, I’ll get used to it so long as my overall experience is positive.

When it comes to reviews, I prefer hearing from your average rider who has ridden the bike for awhile and comments on why they chose the bike, what they use it for, their personal list of pros / cons, what accessories they’ve added, things they wish would be different, whether they’d buy it again, other bikes they looked at, etc. To me, that’s infinitely more helpful and meaningful than Motorcyclist Magazine giving me a 23 minute video where the reviewer is trying to rehash hastily memorized stats in an out-of-breath voice while lane splitting at 73mph on the highway.

Just my two cents.:D
Exactly right on all counts revmatch, which is why guys like me come to the forums like this to find out what is what.. because you guys that live with them on a daily basis KNOW and understand the bikes and speaketh the truth usually, good or bad.

Last edited:
Paper stats don't favor the NC, but the actual lived experience does. Glenn Curtis set his motorcycle speed record (136mph/219kph) with only 40 horsepower from a 4410cc V8 engine. Our top speed might only be 125mph but I think only @TacomaJD would regularly approach that speed.

Compared to the C50 I own, the NC is a lithe ride. I think even my 30hp DRZ has a lot of gusto. Both the NC and DRZ have a power-to-weight ratio of .1, which exceeds most cars and is more than enough for me.

The only time I found the power 'lacking' was riding two-up while climbing a mountain pass, probably over packed with luggage, and trying to exceed 80mph. You know, stuff one doesn't actually need to do.
125 mph must be a 750 thing, because neither of my 700's will do over 105. That's the fastest I've been on one, and it was downhill and I was tucked down behind the windshield. Lol

125 mph must be a 750 thing, because neither of my 700's will do over 105. That's the fastest I've been on one, and it was downhill and I was tucked down behind the windshield. Lol
Idk I have a 700.... It is rumored that my bike read 125 on the dash when piloted by an anonymous person.... Two up and on a multi day tour.

There was a very long straight going downhill though. On I5 southbound somewhere in southern Oregon.

When insurers were giving discounts during the early days of the pandemic under the assumption people weren't driving as much, I was peeved to find out that I didn't get one for my bikes. I even called them to ask why I didn't get a kickback on that policy.

I was personally offended when I was informed that they assumed motorcyclists didn't ride that much anyway and the company assumed that all bikes were hobby vehicles and priced policies accordingly.

This is the country that used to drive motorcycle development and style. We have some of the best roads and open spaces to enjoy our bikes on. Bah! Humbug!
For what it’s worth, Geico did give me a 10% discount when renewing my motorcycle policy last year (and I don’t have a car).

I don't remember the time frame, but MCN editors changed at one point, and the publication swirled down the drain after that. The glowing NC report was likely the prior generation testers and writers.
I think MCN (Motorcycle Consumer News) and MCN (Motor Cycle News) articles are getting mixed up in this thread which would be easy to do! Motorcycle Consumer News is an ongoing UK magazine and the other was published in the USA until it's demise in early 2020.

Still, Motorcycle Consumer News is a good example of how hard it is to publish objective motorcycle journalism. Yes, staff writers and editors come and go but In October and December 2012 MCN appeared two very complimentary reviews but in October 2013 they scored it last in a three bike comparison. During all three articles the writers had just hours to form impressions about the bike and even then impressions formed in isolation or impressions formed in light of ranking or judging against a group of bikes can make a huge difference when compressed to 2000 words.

I like to absorb the minutiae of motorcyles and I've read everything it was in my power to read on the NCX series since 2011. Saved what I could in a three ring binder. I don't give any one review much credibility but just like news of current events I don't get all my "news" from one point of view but rather both or a few sides and come to my own conclusions however flawed. These guys are human and rely on memory recall and snap judgements to a large degree and I wouldn't want the job. I count among riding acquaintances a rider that has occasional ink in one of the last remaining print publications. He sat down with me and 5 or 6 other riders after I ride I led at a particular rally and took copious notes. When the article hit the magazine I was misquoted and it made no difference at all in how the article portrayed the history and drawing power of the rally. He got the general idea and most of the details right so there's no need to bust on him about it.

On topic, I think the NC700X is a trashy little underpowered motorcycle and I've bought three of them just to make sure :)

Last edited:
I think MCN (Motorcycle Consumer News) and MCN (Motor Cycle News) articles are getting mixed up in this thread which would be easy to do! Motorcycle Consumer News is an ongoing UK magazine and the other was published in the USA until it's demise in early 2020.

Still, Motorcycle Consumer News is a good example of how hard it is to publish objective motorcycle journalism. Yes, staff writers and editors come and go but In October and December 2012 MCN appeared two very complimentary reviews but in October 2013 they scored it last in a three bike comparison. During all three articles the writers had just hours to form impressions about the bike and even then impressions formed in isolation or impressions formed in light of ranking or judging against a group of bikes can make a huge difference when compressed to 2000 words.

I like to absorb the minutiae of motorcyles and I've read everything it was in my power to read on the NCX series since 2011. Saved what I could in a three ring binder. I don't give any one review much credibility but just like news of current events I don't get all my "news" from one point of view but rather both or a few sides and come to my own conclusions however flawed. These guys are human and rely on memory recall and snap judgements to a large degree and I wouldn't want the job. I count among riding acquaintances a rider that has occasional ink in one of the last remaining print publications. He sat down with me and 5 or 6 other riders after I ride I led at a particular rally and took copious notes. When the article hit the magazine I was misquoted and it made no difference at all in how the article portrayed the history and drawing power of the rally. He got the general idea and most of the details right so there's no need to bust on him about it.

On topic, I think the NC700X is a trashy little underpowered motorcycle and I've bought three of them just to make sure :)
Yes, I was negligent in not being clear which MCN I spoke of earlier. It was the now defunct United States based publication.

Idk I have a 700.... It is rumored that my bike read 125 on the dash when piloted by an anonymous person.... Two up and on a multi day tour.

There was a very long straight going downhill though. On I5 southbound somewhere in southern Oregon.

allegedly​

I find the NC power is adequate. That all depends on where I am riding. If I am stuck in traffic from traffic light to traffic light I don't particularly like riding the NC because everyone is in a drag race from light to light and that isn't fun no matter what you are riding, but the NC is just adequate for that task. If out on the interstate and droning along at higher speeds... Again I think the NC is adequate. But get it on some two lane twisty back roads and I find it EXCELLENT. Just right for the task. When I get on my larger bike I absolutely feel the difference and the bigger bike works well for the riding the NC is just adequate. Luckily I moved to a rural location with mostly 2 lane twisty roads so I don't have to deal with the other stuff nearly as much now. So the NC is a keeper. If anything I am considering downsizing the bigger bike to something lighter and easier to manage in the garage. The NC is a treat to handle in the garage and the slow speed maneuvers.

My first bike was a Vespa GTS 300. While I ultimately ended up wanting more interaction in the form of manual gear shifting, I loved the sheer usefulness of its under-seat storage, top case, glove box, and center stand. Felt like I was in a self-sufficient bubble of sorts haha. That kind of practicality is part of what’s drawn me to the NC, as it means that I’ll be able to use it that much more in everyday life.
One of the reasons I chose the NC is because of the frunk, looks and low end torque. It doesn't compare to the Burgman 650's storage but will be really close down the road.

I get it because that's why I bought it, for commuting in style.

105? 125?? Well, y’all just wave as you go by. I’m just happy as a clam poking along and taking in the sights. I think somebody all ready said it, but the NC is just a great “all-round” ride. It has something for everyone. Even those speed demons!
Brother I'm extremely happy with what I have, I hit the gas and she moves if I want more I downshift and nail it I couldn't ask for anything more. What I love the most is just cruising around on it.

Back