• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

NC750X manual Power thoughts

On back roads with no traffic I keep creeping up to just over 70 mph if I don't watch my speed. This NC DCT with Madstad windshield is super smooth.
Anything with an upright or sport oriented seating position is like that with me. Anything under 60-70 feels like I'm creeping along. I'm like that in most everything, even autos....but as far as bikes go, I'm less like that on my bagger cruiser. I assume due to the relaxed seating position that feels like I'm riding a recliner. Lol

I sold my 77 Goldwing, 650 lbs and 82 hp when I bought my NC. The comfort of the Wing on the road was excellent. With a 8500 rpm redline, the sound of the engine revving and the acceleration was exhilarating but you eventually had to stop. The weight of the Wing was getting to my 73 year old knees. Plus, it was a real beast to try to get on the center stand.

The comfort and riding position of the NC is not bad and I love the lighter feel of the NC in those low speed situations. Leaving the Wing's 4 cv carbs for fuel injection was a relief and it is much easier to put the NC on the center stand. I gained more than I gave up with the NC. I can live with the lower power.

On back roads with no traffic I keep creeping up to just over 70 mph if I don't watch my speed. This NC DCT with Madstad windshield is super smooth.
For many it's difficult to overstate what an improvement a good windshield is to the NC and the Madstad in particular. It makes the bike into one you can go to distant places on without excessive wind noise and physical fatigue.

Last edited:
125 mph must be a 750 thing, because neither of my 700's will do over 105. That's the fastest I've been on one, and it was downhill and I was tucked down behind the windshield. Lol
I've never been into triple digits on mine. Now that I have a Madstad windshield and Tusk boxes, it goes even slower.

For many it's difficult to overstate what an improvement a good windshield is to the NC and the Madstad in particular. It makes the bike into one you can go to distant places on without excessive wind noise and physical fatigue.
My DRZ came with a better windshield than the one on the NC.

20210618_185203.jpg
It's so much more quiet o_O

I've put about 11,000 MI on my 2018 NC750X in just about a year. Highways, back roads, dirt road. Plenty of power for me. The NC is a user friendly bike. Great engine breaking, and a ton of torque. Being 60+ now, I appreciate the easygoing personality of the engine. You can lug it all day in 5th gear, and has plenty of acceleration if you know the sweet spot in the power band. I can ride it all day effortlessly. And yes, the gas mileage (avg 70mpg) is amazing. Side note: Just got the Avon Tralrider tires (love 'em).

When weekly riding with my usual group, I hit WOT several times. That's fun, they can't
do it. Rode a 300cc scooter about 2400 miles, 75 mph , 72 mpg. I stayed with
the group. Oh, I don't go to track days, too old.

I've put about 11,000 MI on my 2018 NC750X in just about a year. Highways, back roads, dirt road. Plenty of power for me. The NC is a user friendly bike. Great engine breaking, and a ton of torque. Being 60+ now, I appreciate the easygoing personality of the engine. You can lug it all day in 5th gear, and has plenty of acceleration if you know the sweet spot in the power band. I can ride it all day effortlessly. And yes, the gas mileage (avg 70mpg) is amazing. Side note: Just got the Avon Tralrider tires (love 'em).
I also have the Avon Trailriders, I love them, they are an excellent tire.

My riding club is all Harley and Goldwings with more power than I have. However I can keep up because their lean angle is tiny compared to mine. Doesn’t matter how much power you have if you have to scrub speed on every corner.

I’m still just getting into my NC and only have a few hundred miles thus far. I’m an old guy and coming from much heavier and much more powerful machines (last two were a GL 1800 and a Triumph Tiger). The NC is down on power compared to those or any literbike, but the power is certainly adequate for anything you’d actually need. It’s not a Sportbike, if you bought one thinking so you’re gonna be unhappy - it is a lot of fun on winding roads, has plenty of zip on the slab. Old guys like me remember when “hot” bikes had HP numbers in the 50’s (BSA, Triumph, HD) and we rode those and much less powerful bikes everywhere. My old YM1 305 Cross Country had what 29 hp, rode it on long road trips (hands went to sleep from vibration every hour or so) The NC is way more sophisticated and powerful than anything out there in 1967 and we did just fine, thank you.

Last edited:
I too am spoiled as hell with high hp bikes. I chose the NC on purpose. HP means nothing when i'm riding it.

I'm 2 days in on a 2021 DCT. I read/watched many reviews and tempered my expectations about power. I'm coming from bikes making about 130 hp for the last 15+ years. I think I am not surprised by the power I have and I feel it is adequate. My other bikes had power that was much more than adequate. Exhilarating is a better word. The NC's power is not exhilarating, but it is ok for the type of riding I do, mostly commuting on LA freeways, where many of the cars come to a stop and we motorcyclists do not. Great for filtering. Cruises at 75 easily. It's fine.

Overall, so far I am enjoying the bike, but I must say I'm disappointed about the front suspension. Wow is it harsh on even the smallest of potholes at speed. I'm a bit heavy, deuce and a half, so that factors in I'm sure. On my last bike, a 2017 Tiger 1200, I never even had to look down and could ride right over any road irregularity. On the NC, I need to really watch the road surface at least enough to prepare myself for the shock as a few times it has really startled me, especially if I'm looking over my shoulder making a lane change at the time.

So, I'm on the lookout for an upgrade for the front forks hoping we can dampen that effect a little bit. If not, or if after some breaking in it doesn't get better (or I don't adapt), this shiny new bike will be up for sale and I might be looking at a Tiger 660. I hope it doesn't come to that because I really want to like this bike.

One other thing. I hear the older bikes had very uncomfortable seats and the 2021 seat is much improved. I can't imagine how bad the older ones are if this is an improvement. It's not horrible but definitely not great. I might be looking for an aftermarket seat as well.

The 2021s have the Dual Bending Forks which are supposedly superior to the old forks, but I too find them harsh. I find the rear suspension harsh too, but it does corner well, without running wide, and transitions side to side easily.

The seat for me is neither great nor awful. I can live with it.

As for power I am just about 3000 miles in on my 2021, and coming from an FJR, and an ST 1300 before that, I still feel the power of the NC is adequate, but nothing more. There certainly aren't a gob of ponies waiting in reserve waiting to be unleashed lol. The upside to that is the great gas mileage, and what should translate into low tire and chain wear.

It's not a sport bike, it's a budget commuter. Better suspension, seat and power can be had with a different bike, but would cost thousands more.

It's not a sport bike, it's a budget commuter. Better suspension, seat and power can be had with a different bike, but would cost thousands more.
If everyone understood this I think the NC would sell much better. Instead too many folks try to compare this to a 100+ hp sport bike and walk away disappointed.

If everyone understood this I think the NC would sell much better. Instead too many folks try to compare this to a 100+ hp sport bike and walk away disappointed.
Like I said in my post, the power is in line with my expectations. However, there's no excuse for a shitty seat. But I am not bothered that much by the seat as many stock seats are not great and that's why so many are available in aftermarket. The front forks are just not good at all. By the way, in the USA, this is a $12K motorcycle out the door. MSRP is $9,300. We could do with some better front forks in that range. Cartridges would cost $500 more, not thousands. I don't believe anyone with any riding experience at all thinks this is a serious sport bike.

However, there's no excuse for a shitty seat. The front forks are just not good at all. I don't believe anyone with any riding experience at all thinks this is a serious sport bike.
Couldn't agree more.
It is what it is, and doesn't pretend to be anything more.

Back