• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

NC750X manual Power thoughts

I traded a FJR for my '21 NC750XA. The power difference is huge, yet it really isn't when you think about riding style. I am not a street racer so I really don't need or use all of the available power on the FJR. I got lazy with the FJR because being in the 'right' gear was not so important due to the torque available.

The NC does just fine and knowing I do not have excess power available makes me think harder about making safe passes on two-lane roads. The lighter NC reduces the risk of running wide in corners. I have no complaints about the power and I knew going in there was going to be a reduction. I am happily surprised with the way the NC makes power.

I do have a couple of complaints about comfort, but that is for another thread.;)
I rode an FJR for 14 years so I know what you mean. It kind of spoils you when it comes to always-available power.

Thanks for this. Can I ask where you have seen the emulators on sale?
I don't want to derail this thread so I'll give you a link for a thread that discussed installation of Cogent Dynamic fork emulators.

There are other suppliers of emulators - Race Tech and Ricor have both been used by forum members.

The key to really loving the NC is to start on a slug. My first bike was a Royal Enfield bullet. 26 hp, 500 cc single. Thing rode like an off balance washing machine humping a paint shaker. The throttle worked like a suggestion box. I lost most of the original bolts when they rattled loose. To me the NC is a 2 wheeled hooligan death machine capable of traveling at warp speed. If I rode a faster bike then I would know what I was missing out on and my wife might kill me…

If I had done the research before buying it, I wouldn't have bought it - not enough power and not really an adventurer. Coming off of a ZG1000 and a VL1500 I was ready to give up motorcycling altogether. I bought this on a lark and the joy of motorcycling has returned. I really, really enjoy a variable throttle versus the on/off he VL1500 and, especially, the ZG1000.

for us older guys .
back in the day if you had a bike that did 100 plus mph you had a good bike.
the Honda 750 just managed 125 mph,till the Kawasaki Z900 came wow 130 mph.
at the time Laverda was the fastest at 140 mph. it was quite a few years before the so called super bike came along.
I had a Suzuki T500J 110 mph(down hill. lol) 45 bhp,37.5 torque and that was considered a big bike then.
right that's out of the way.
the NC is a different kettle of fish,you really can't compare it to other bikes.
1,-it will commute all day long.2-,you can tour, 3- fuel economy well over 200 miles on 14 ltr .
for daily run for pic nicks the frunk! there's loads of reasons to like this bike.
here the NC750X DCT is very popular,Honda altered a lot on the newer bike to make suitable for all sizes and to replace the 'S' model.
which I was considering in buying but since I sat on the new X model I like it a lot.
so that maybe my next bike if I decide not to go for a maxi scooter.

Well I'm 71, so I guess I'm an older guy?. My first street bike at 15 in 1965 was a 50cc 2 stroke Italian Aermacchi badged by HD called an M-50. It had a whopping 3.5 HP, and ran 45-50 mph wife open, so in comparison the NC 750X is a rocket. But over the years and 32 motorcycles that followed, the bikes got more powerful, and my last was a 2018 Yamaha FJR with 145 hp. Compared to that, the NC 750X is a slug.

Like I've said it's doing everything I want it to do so far, but I do miss the limitless torque and hp of the liter plus I4's. Whoever said riding a slow bike fast is more fun .... has never ridden a big bike fast.

I can tell you this, if Honda brings out a low 500 pound DCT type bike with 85-100 hp and 65-75 ft lb torque, cruise control, ABS, TC, heated grips etc in a bike with a seat height similar to the 2021 NC 750X, I'm afraid my 2021 750X would be traded in or up for sale here, post haste.

I like my NC 750X, but I'd like it more if it had more, if you get my drift

Hi All
I have a quick question regarding the power of the NC750X manual. When I was researching the machine I came across a bunch of Videos stating that the bike could use more power, am I the only one finding the bike has plenty of power?
I find the bike to be plenty fast and powerful, when I want to pass it does it quickly and effortlessly with cruising at 70+ with my fat arse a non issue. Even though my old 650 Burgman has similar power specs this machine is so much more lively and willing.
As long as I can embarrass Tesla drivers I am happy.
Hi All
I have a quick question regarding the power of the NC750X manual. When I was researching the machine I came across a bunch of Videos stating that the bike could use more power, am I the only one finding the bike has plenty of power?
I find the bike to be plenty fast and powerful, when I want to pass it does it quickly and effortlessly with cruising at 70+ with my fat arse a non issue. Even though my old 650 Burgman has similar power specs this machine is so much more lively and willing.
I get an average of 80 mpg, and still manage to embarrass Tesla drivers off the line.

For years I complained that for some weird reason no one bothered to make an actual commuter bike. Yes, there were quite a few small displacement bikes that were billed as commuter bikes but to get them on the freeway everyday was just plain stupid. One had to run them close to redline just to keep up with traffic and forget about running them in the summer in Phoenix, even if they were air-cooled they were running to fast to help. On top of that motorcycle manufacturers seemed to think a tach was optional. It just did not make sense to me. Engines had become so much more efficient by the time the new millennia hit and there was simply no reason we could not have a fuel efficient bike that would run at freeway speeds.

When I found out about the NC I was ecstatic. Finally a bike designed to run with low rpm's that could easily run freeway speeds AND get great mileage. Plus, it was a Honda! Which also meant durability and probably easy to work on. At first I was slightly disappointed it came with a chain instead of shaft but after a month I decided to go ahead and change both sprockets so it ran even lower rpm's on the freeway. Swapping the sprockets was one of the easiest wrenching I have done. I have not been disappointed with the lack of power. I mean, yes it is difficult to do a burnout or a wheelie like I could on my Virago but I no longer care about trashing my bike with stunts.

TLDR; Despite installing lower gearing, I am happy with the power of the NC.

I have a 2012 NC700X with the manual 6 sp. I bought it new in 2013. Swapped a '09 Kawi EX500 Ninja for it. I would say the Ninja was a tad quicker. The NC has more going for it though. Wider powerband, better fuel mileage, better ergo for me and the "Frunk". I feel it has plenty of power. I have no problem running 80 on the interstate. I 've looked at cruisers and my problem with them is having your feed out in front of you. It just feels weird to me. If i was looking for a new bike the new NC750 would be in my top 3 for sure. They have addressed the 3 "shortcomings " . The seat is supposed to be better. I replaced mine with a Sargent and it could still be a little better. 7500 rpm redline. The rev limiter at 6500 is just brutal IMO. and a slightly lower seat height. I'm 5'11" 280 built like Fred Flintstone long body short legs. It's starting to get a little tough to get my 62 year old fat ass in the machine. I love my "Nerd Cycle" I am very pleased with it.

My NC 700X has all the power I need. Up to 6,000 rpm it feels like it has a bigger engine than my VStrom 650. Actually it does, slightly. It revs much lower on the highways too, feels relaxed at 75. I love the torque. When I was 16-40 I wanted the fastest bike I could afford. After 40 I could finally afford a fast bike but my hooligan days were over. I just wanted a torquey, nimble, affordable bike I could work on & pick up if dropped. NC 700X nailed it.

for us older guys .
back in the day if you had a bike that did 100 plus mph you had a good bike.
the Honda 750 just managed 125 mph,till the Kawasaki Z900 came wow 130 mph.
at the time Laverda was the fastest at 140 mph. it was quite a few years before the so called super bike came along.
I had a Suzuki T500J 110 mph(down hill. lol) 45 bhp,37.5 torque and that was considered a big bike then.
right that's out of the way.
the NC is a different kettle of fish,you really can't compare it to other bikes.
1,-it will commute all day long.2-,you can tour, 3- fuel economy well over 200 miles on 14 ltr .
for daily run for pic nicks the frunk! there's loads of reasons to like this bike.
here the NC750X DCT is very popular,Honda altered a lot on the newer bike to make suitable for all sizes and to replace the 'S' model.
which I was considering in buying but since I sat on the new X model I like it a lot.
so that maybe my next bike if I decide not to go for a maxi scooter.
Ah a man who remembers Motor Cycles. T 500 Suzy, 450 Honda black Bomber, plus assorted BSA’s, Turnips, Snorting‘ Norton’s, XLCH’s “competition hot”, and similar machines ruled the roads. The “ton” was the measure of a hot bike. Now folks consider 50-70 hp machines “ beginner bikes”, while back in the day those were for the experts-yet the Type 1, Mark 0 human is the same…

Well I'm 71, so I guess I'm an older guy?. My first street bike at 15 in 1965 was a 50cc 2 stroke Italian Aermacchi badged by HD called an M-50. It had a whopping 3.5 HP, and ran 45-50 mph wife open, so in comparison the NC 750X is a rocket. But over the years and 32 motorcycles that followed, the bikes got more powerful, and my last was a 2018 Yamaha FJR with 145 hp. Compared to that, the NC 750X is a slug.

Like I've said it's doing everything I want it to do so far, but I do miss the limitless torque and hp of the liter plus I4's. Whoever said riding a slow bike fast is more fun .... has never ridden a big bike fast.

I can tell you this, if Honda brings out a low 500 pound DCT type bike with 85-100 hp and 65-75 ft lb torque, cruise control, ABS, TC, heated grips etc in a bike with a seat height similar to the 2021 NC 750X, I'm afraid my 2021 750X would be traded in or up for sale here, post haste.

You just described the 2021 African Twin...

You just described the 2021 African Twin...
2021 Africa Twin seat height 34.3"
2021 NC750X seat height 31.6"

There is simply no comparison when considering location of center of gravity. The AT DCT feels every bit of it's 550 lbs and the NC does not feel like a 493 lb bike.

I've said pretty much the same thing as the ferret - if there was a NC1000X with 90 hp and similar dimensions to the 700/750s it would appeal strongly to a lot of current NC riders. The AT is a much bigger bike.

There is simply no comparison when considering location of center of gravity. The AT DCT feels every bit of it's 550 lbs and the NC does not feel like a 493 lb bike.

I've said pretty much the same thing as the ferret - if there was a NC1000X with 90 hp and similar dimensions to the 700/750s it would appeal strongly to a lot of current NC riders. The AT is a much bigger bike.
Yea at 5' 5 1/2 a 31 1/2" seat height is on the edge for me as it is. Luckily it's a very narrow motorcycle. A 34" seat height would leave my legs dangling in the air on both sides. If I were 5'10"-6'0 tall it would open up a whole new world of modern motorcycles I could ride.

Will be interesting to see if the NT 1100 sport tourer comes to fruition and what its measurements are

The Ferret didnt mention seat height in his spec, and yea, it is not for the height challenged...It is high..but then my little Kawasaki KLX250SF has a 35" seat height but only weighs 305Lbs...

He said he was looking for a bike with similar seat height to NC if I understand all this who said what stuff.
Slight oversight, it's all good. He said similar seat height to that of his *2021* NC750X. Which has a lower seat height than all previous NC's.

The AT also has tube tires. I dunno if y’all have ever tried to patch a tube on a “modern” bike, but the one’s I’ve fooled with are NOT easy. The tries are for the most part “tubeless” (with tubes) mounted of typical “safety” type rims. As a result the old tire spoon tricks do NOT work well or at all. I had a new Bonnieville a few years ago with “tube” tires. Pick up a screw in the rear tire at 189 miles. No way in this world I could break the bead to do a roadside repair. That’s a dealbreaker for me. I’m typically riding alone in very rural areas. The ability to make emergency roadside tire repairs is the difference between a fee minute delay and being “stuck” for a protracted period. The latter is not an option. I’ll never again own any new bike with tube tires. (Just an aside, a Yamaha Super Tenere has tubeless tires and spoke wheels, so it “can” be done)

Back