• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

NC750x vs Tiger 800 ?

bumblepee

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello everyone, and sorry for this long post as a new member. I would like an opinion on differences between NC750X DCT and Triumph Tiger 800 (or 850, or 900).

I am about to buy the first big motorcycle in my life after riding scooters in the city for many years. I live in the suburbs now and commute by highway 25 miles away. I have a car and don't plan to use the motorcycle regularly for commuting, but I am looking for a motorcycle that is a pleasure to go around during summers, maybe commute when I feel like to, and start going out and explore new places.

I discovered recently the NC750X DCT which ticks many boxes in my world (1. cheap to buy, 2. cheap to maintain, 3. low center of gravity, 4. fully automatic transmission). I tried a NC750X DCT yesterday along with a BMW F850GS. Found the NC to be quite ok, although I did not feel as protected while riding as with the F850GS. The other bike I am considering is some used Triumph Tiger 800. There are Tigers from 2012, 2014, and 2016 in my area, or I could go for a barebone new 2021 (the cheapest Sport trim).

I wanted to ask if someone have Tigers besides the NC. I told the sales person I am buying the NC (I liked it a lot) and I have about two days to make the deposit now. But I noticed the same issues many people talk about here, namely:

1. The wind protection is bad. I felt much more wind on the NC (cutting off at my neck) than the BMW F850GS (cutting off at the top of my head, I am 6ft tall). On the NC, I found myself curving in the seat to bring down my head and avoid some of the wind (bad position of course). This concern is important because I plan to commute on the highway at 75-80 miles/h. More wind = less stability = more difficult ride = slow down behind other cars. Anyone knows how the Tiger is doing on wind protection, or how ti compares to NC? Is there a decent solution on the NC for wind protection at highway speeds, I can't seem to find any here in the forum?
2. The seat of the NC is bad, and everyone knows that. I started to have tailbone pain after 20 minutes of the test ride. The seat is also a bit low for me (this is why I like the F850GS which is more like riding a horse). Yet, nobody seem to have a solution on a good seat for the NC 2021, and some say it's not the seat but the entire bike configuration (foot pegs, etc.). There are Lust jackup kits to increase the bike height, and that would be logically the best solution, but I am affraid of chasing complicated solutions for a problem that might be on the bike design.

Those are my two main concerns. Don't take me wrong, I liked everything else on the bike, including the storage space for the helmet, but my perfect bike is one that you have the pleasure to frequently take out of the garage, and you find yourself riding frequently for shorter and longer rides. This is the reason why I moved away from bigger monster size bikes like BMW1200GS, Yamaha Super Tenere, etc.

Thanks for reading this far and for any tip that helps me make the right decision.

Welcome to the forum.

I owned a 2014 Tiger 800R for 13,000 miles. I am much shorter than you at 5' 6" and normal torso/leg proportions. The Tiger had terrible buffeting at highway speeds and I quickly purchased the accessory Touring windshield Triumph offered at the time. It was adjustable for rake. It was no real improvement for me and I moved on to the Madstad windshield for the Tiger. It made that bike into a touring capable motorcycle with a nice quiet cockpit. No buffeting and quiet enough to listen to helmet audio. The Madstad was excellent on the Tiger. After a time I sold the Tiger and purchased a 2015 NC700X DCT. Because the Madstad made such a difference on the Tiger and the stock NC screen was noisy and offered little wind protection for me I immediately acquired the Madstad system for the '15 NC and heartily endorse it. However, Madstad does not yet sell one for the 2021 but is currently looking for a 2021 owner in Florida to allow them to prototype a system for the new bike. With both the NC and Tiger had to address wind protection for day rides to 300 miles and trips of up to 500 miles one way. Although I knew it when I bought it, the Tiger was much more top heavy than the NC and I got tired of the high center of gravity and lack of frunk storage. I traded a manual transmission 2012 NC for the Tiger and after the 13,000 mile 'year of the Tiger' I missed the NC's friendly qualities so much I acquired the 2015 NC DCT, my second one.

Thank you dduelin.

Btw, there is also a 2017 Africa Twin crf1000l near me, with about 17k miles. Any thoughts on ppl who had that and the nc750x besides the differences in hp?

Thank you dduelin.

Btw, there is also a 2017 Africa Twin crf1000l near me, with about 17k miles. Any thoughts on ppl who had that and the nc750x besides the differences in hp?
Can’t answer from direct experience, but the AT is a physically larger machine with a different intended purpose. It has tubed tires and spoked wheels, as has a frame more similar to a dual sport than the NC’s street design.

I have ridden an AT briefly, and although I am plenty capable of handling heavy motorcycles (have a 900 pound Goldwing), I have no desire to deal with the AT’s size and weight for backroad one-up pleasure riding. In general, I find that smaller is most often better than larger.

I think the best approach is to lay out exactly how you intend to use a motorcycle, then chose a model built for that purpose. Start with your needs, not with what motorcycle happens to be available nearby.

I have owned a CRF1000L first model (non DCT). I have test ridden a first model Triumph Tiger 800 and owned a Triumph 1200 Explorer. I currently own a NC variant, the X-Adv, and previously owned a first model NC700X. I am 5'8" tall and shrinking.

I am a firm fan of Triumph triple Adventure bikes, but at age 70 I am no longer robust enough to handle that top heaviness at low speeds or manhandling them. I preferred the 1200 to the 800, but both motors were a delight to ride because of their power characteristics and that gorgeous sound. Imho the Triumphs would be better suspended than the NC. I also believe that ergonomically they would be better bikes than an NC for a 6' person. However the NC carries its weight much lower and that is one reason I still have an NC based motorcycle. The Triumph would have a more powerful motor but the NC is significantly more economical.

I purchased the CRF1000L more or less as soon as it appeared on the market. It was a nice motorcycle with good power. The suspension was initially good but that soon changed. Suspension issues were one of the main reasons I eventually parted with it, but more of that later. It was comfortable and carried its weight reasonably well albeit it was still too tall for me. However I never really gelled with the bike. About 10,000kms into ownership I started to notice a stiffness in the forks that gradually got worse. Interaction on the ADV forum soom revealed a wear problem in the forks. It was severe enough to require fork replacement. Honda were a bit hit and miss about dealing with the matter. Then the damping in the shock started to show signs of internal wear. I had had enough and parted with the CRF for my current X-Adv.

With my initial NC700X I found that the suspension for a so called Adventure bike was harsh and unforgiving. I loved the motor and its easy going usable power. I tried to remedy the suspension with Wilbers shock and Andreani fork inserts. The shock worked but the Andreanis did not. The Africa Twin replaced the NC eventually because of the suspension woes but as it turned out it was out of frying pan and into fire. However I knew I would have another NC in my future because of that excellent motor and economy, and DCT which I had liked when I tested an NC750DCT.

So in summary. I think the NC750X DCT would be an excellent purchase, but You need to be sure that it is a good fit for Your 6' frame. If You have long legs it might be a little cramped for You. I think an Africa Twin would be perfect for You, but for a 2017 model year beware of the forks. Later models had such issues remedied to my knowledge. The Triumph would also be good for Your height, but as said above they are top heavy. I won't comment on screens because what is good for one is not always good for another.

Best of luck with Your purchase whatever it might be.

I think maybe you need to get some more miles in on a real, upright motorcycle to be more comfortable in the wind. If you don't mind my saying, your feeling of instability may be psychological. I ride every day and cruise 75-80 on my 28-mile commute. I came from a Triumph Tiger 1200 which had far superior frontal protection, but honestly, the NC is not what I would call unstable in the wind. Sure, it gets blown around a bit more than a 600 lb Triumph, and the suspension and seat leave much to be desired, but it is plenty stable. The issue I have with wind is just the noise. For that reason, I paid a few bucks more on a quieter helmet. Once you get used to it, you just relax and go with it. I'm even getting used to the harsh front suspension after 600 miles and I am less shocked by the sudden impact of potholes in the roads.

Now, in the colder weather in PA, that wind will indeed make a difference, so a better windshield would be good. I'm waiting to order the one I want, with not much to choose from for 2021. The mounting changed so we are all waiting for Puig and Givi to release the new ones. I did spring for the Honda Tall Windscreen (3" higher than stock) but it barely put a dent in the wind noise and impact of the airstream. Lots of people on this forum rave about Madstad but I am not a fan of the look. California Scientific (who, oddly, is not located in California), makes tall windscreens but I am not in love with how those look either. I'm waiting for Puig, which is the brand I had on my Triumph and I loved how it was made, how well it worked, and how it looked. The Givi is close to it in my opinion so I will buy whichever one is available first here in the USA. We will see but I'm resigned to the fact that I may never find a windscreen I like that will allow me to match-light a Cohiba at 80 mph. I'll be ok if the noise is knocked down to the point where I can hear my helmet audio at full cruising speed without noise-canceling headphones.

I got rid of the Triumph because it was too much bike for my old, fat ass and weak knees. Too afraid to drop it at a slow speed (which I almost did more than once). Top-heavy and a bit too tall for my 32" inseam. But it was an amazing tourer. If you're not suffering from the same lameness as me, you should consider it, especially the smaller 800. Coming from a scooter, bikes that size might not be the best choice for your first foray into a full-on motorcycle. Perhaps consider waiting for the Triumph Tiger Sport 660 next Spring. But I think you're on to something with the low-CG NC, as obviously many people would agree on this forum. Compared to my Triumph, the NC feels like a feather at slow speed but it's still planted enough at freeway speed.

Thanks all. Just picked up the new 2021 NC750x DCT today. Legs are quite cramped in the low height of this bike, but will wait to see how to resolve it. I'm 6ft tall btw. The rest of the stuff is quite neat (well, minus the windshield). I like the low rev torque, a drastic difference with an older Honda Hornet 650cc I tried this summer. If anyone has any proven solution to extend the legs more, please let me know.

If anyone has any proven solution to extend the legs more, please let me know.
I'm 6'1" and Knight Industries lowered footpegs helped a lot.
I believe the '14 to '20 pegs for the NC should fit the '21 model as well.

Hello everyone, and sorry for this long post as a new member. I would like an opinion on differences between NC750X DCT and Triumph Tiger 800 (or 850, or 900).

I am about to buy the first big motorcycle in my life after riding scooters in the city for many years. I live in the suburbs now and commute by highway 25 miles away. I have a car and don't plan to use the motorcycle regularly for commuting, but I am looking for a motorcycle that is a pleasure to go around during summers, maybe commute when I feel like to, and start going out and explore new places.

I discovered recently the NC750X DCT which ticks many boxes in my world (1. cheap to buy, 2. cheap to maintain, 3. low center of gravity, 4. fully automatic transmission). I tried a NC750X DCT yesterday along with a BMW F850GS. Found the NC to be quite ok, although I did not feel as protected while riding as with the F850GS. The other bike I am considering is some used Triumph Tiger 800. There are Tigers from 2012, 2014, and 2016 in my area, or I could go for a barebone new 2021 (the cheapest Sport trim).

I wanted to ask if someone have Tigers besides the NC. I told the sales person I am buying the NC (I liked it a lot) and I have about two days to make the deposit now. But I noticed the same issues many people talk about here, namely:

1. The wind protection is bad. I felt much more wind on the NC (cutting off at my neck) than the BMW F850GS (cutting off at the top of my head, I am 6ft tall). On the NC, I found myself curving in the seat to bring down my head and avoid some of the wind (bad position of course). This concern is important because I plan to commute on the highway at 75-80 miles/h. More wind = less stability = more difficult ride = slow down behind other cars. Anyone knows how the Tiger is doing on wind protection, or how ti compares to NC? Is there a decent solution on the NC for wind protection at highway speeds, I can't seem to find any here in the forum?
2. The seat of the NC is bad, and everyone knows that. I started to have tailbone pain after 20 minutes of the test ride. The seat is also a bit low for me (this is why I like the F850GS which is more like riding a horse). Yet, nobody seem to have a solution on a good seat for the NC 2021, and some say it's not the seat but the entire bike configuration (foot pegs, etc.). There are Lust jackup kits to increase the bike height, and that would be logically the best solution, but I am affraid of chasing complicated solutions for a problem that might be on the bike design.

Those are my two main concerns. Don't take me wrong, I liked everything else on the bike, including the storage space for the helmet, but my perfect bike is one that you have the pleasure to frequently take out of the garage, and you find yourself riding frequently for shorter and longer rides. This is the reason why I moved away from bigger monster size bikes like BMW1200GS, Yamaha Super Tenere, etc.

Thanks for reading this far and for any tip that helps me make the right decision.
I’ll agree with DDuelin, I had a 19 Tiger 800 XRX, good features, but a lot of buffeting when stock, very top heavy and I found mine to be quite “buzzy” through the grips (to the point I took it back to the dealer for the problem-chief triumph tech rode it and pronounced it ”normal”. I have had a number of ADV type bikes (1050 Tiger, Super Tenere, GS1200, F650 GS Dakar). I love the ADV riding position (much like the ”standard” motorcycles from when I was young. With that said, they are all top heavy and somewhat clumsy at low speed, and the reach to the ground is a bit of a stretch for my 5’11, 30” inseam self. I got tired of fighting the top heaviness and long stretch to the ground. I found the NC a lot easier to handle and just a more enjoyable ride in most situations. Power on the NC is down significantly compared to the other bikes you’ve mentioned, however it delivers its power in the range where you will actually ride, so the perceived difference is not that great for most riding. I’d compare the NC to the old F650 GS (single cylinder). Power was much closer (the thumper put out like 60 hp). I loved my old single BMW but the 34.5” seat got to be too much for me. ALL of them need a replacement seat and different windscreen to suit me. Coming from something smaller I believe you’ll be happier long term with the NC. Good luck with your choice whatever you choose.

Last edited:
I'm 6' tall as well. +1 re the knight lowered pegs. I've also added a gel cushion to the seat and recently added a piece of foam between the seat and the cushion...result being that I sit about 1 1/2" higher - legs feel less cramped now.

Just added Rox 2" bar risers to compensate for the raised seat and to reduce forward lean a bit.

+1 re the Madstad screen...big improvement over stock... One caution though - based on Madstad's recommendation, I bought the 20" screen.
Now that I'm sitting higher up, the screen is too short...

Good luck with your new NC!

Agree that Madstad windscreen is good, but that you should go higher than their recommendation: I'm 5'10" and bought the 20" - use it adjusted all the way up. So at 6', 22" for you.
BTW, wasted $160 on the Honda tall windshield - like banging on your head with a hammer.
(Have 2" adjustable risers, so seated position a little taller)

For the seat, I had mine re-upholstered by Seat Concepts and can ride 200-300 miles without thinking about it. Very happy with it. Supposed to be same height as stock, but I think it adds about ¾", which you wouldn't mind according to you post.
Only drawback is the downtime.

Last edited:
Agree that Madstad windscreen is good, but that you should go higher than their recommendation: I'm 5'10" and bought the 20" - use it adjusted all the way up. So at 6', 22" for you.
BTW, wasted $160 on the Honda tall windshield - like banging on your head with a hammer.
(Have 2" adjustable risers, so seated position a little taller)

For the seat, I had mine re-upholstered by Seat Concepts and can ride 200-300 miles without thinking about it. Very happy with it. Supposed to be same height as stock, but I think it adds about ¾", which you wouldn't mind according to you post.
Only drawback is the downtime.
Yes, Seat Concepts will install their kit on your seat pan if you like. Seat Concepts' usual practice is to ship you the cover and foam. If are a DIY person, the only down time is the hour or three that you might spend installing their kit. Also, if you install it yourself, you have the opportunity to reshape the foam to your liking before installing the seat cover.

Thanks all. Just picked up the new 2021 NC750x DCT today. Legs are quite cramped in the low height of this bike, but will wait to see how to resolve it. I'm 6ft tall btw. The rest of the stuff is quite neat (well, minus the windshield). I like the low rev torque, a drastic difference with an older Honda Hornet 650cc I tried this summer. If anyone has any proven solution to extend the legs more, please let me know.
The seat problem I resolved with a Russell Day Long seat. Initially the seat comes back 1 1/2 " taller, but they can make it even higher. The seat is custom made to you. They use photos taken by you on the bike to help design the seat. I am on my second one ,on two different bikes. They do quality work, but are not cheap. From when you send your seat in, the turn around time is apron. 4 weeks. They are running about 3 months back log. I found the wait was well worth it.
I also put wider foot pegs on which mounted lower. So between the seat & the foot pegs your legs should get some relief.

I also am 6' tall, live in Philly and commute on my 2018 as much as possible. I haven't found the seat to be that horrible and I've gone up to NH in a single shot. I upgraded the windshield to a Puig with cheap amazon risers. I purchased a set of lowering pegs and never bothered to install them, also cheap amazon parts(surprisingly good quality). I commute if it is above 40 and below 90 degrees while I'm riding and no rain. If you are interested in the pegs let me know. Any chance you Have Givi bags and were crossing the Ben Franklin this afternoon?

The footpeg position, distance to the seat is the same on the 2021 as it is on the previous taller versions of the NC 750. The height difference to the ground is due to lowered suspension, not a change in frames

The footpeg position, distance to the seat is the same on the 2021 as it is on the previous taller versions of the NC 750. The height difference to the ground is due to lowered suspension, not a change in frames

That is actually very interesting. When I looked at it the other day in person, it appears to be substantially smaller than previous model years.

The 2021 top frame rail has a substantial bend and dip above the engine that the 2012-2020 frames do not have. The seat to peg distance may not have changed but the frame did.

I'd just like to point out that all of this talk about one's height doesn't mean so much when considering the footpeg distance. It's our inseam (leg length) that matters. I'm 6' tall as well, but I have a 32" inseam, so it's not so hard to tuck my stubby little legs in, but I have a freakishly long torso, so my head sticks up like a big ol' melon, which is why I prefer the taller windshields. Some people that are 6' tall have 34-35" inseams and those people for sure will have issues with the peg distance and the bike will feel small to them. If I had legs that long, I might have kept my Tiger for a while longer.

I'd just like to point out that all of this talk about one's height doesn't mean so much when considering the footpeg distance. It's our inseam (leg length) that matters. I'm 6' tall as well, but I have a 32" inseam, so it's not so hard to tuck my stubby little legs in, but I have a freakishly long torso, so my head sticks up like a big ol' melon, which is why I prefer the taller windshields. Some people that are 6' tall have 34-35" inseams and those people for sure will have issues with the peg distance and the bike will feel small to them. If I had legs that long, I might have kept my Tiger for a while longer.
I am one of 'those people'. Oddly, I do not feel that cramped on the NC. It was much worse on the FJR with the seat in the high position. Once I get the seat sorted I may get some of the lowered foot pegs. I am quite comfortable on the NC other than the seat.

I also am 6' tall, live in Philly and commute on my 2018 as much as possible. I haven't found the seat to be that horrible and I've gone up to NH in a single shot. I upgraded the windshield to a Puig with cheap amazon risers. I purchased a set of lowering pegs and never bothered to install them, also cheap amazon parts(surprisingly good quality). I commute if it is above 40 and below 90 degrees while I'm riding and no rain. If you are interested in the pegs let me know. Any chance you Have Givi bags and were crossing the Ben Franklin this afternoon?
Sorry, just saw your question. No, I don't have Givi bags and haven't come down to Philly yet. I am up in Bucks County. Do you still have the foot pegs, any link to what type they are? I am still figuring out a solution for my height, but I am not convinced to lower the foot pegs yet, thinking to first raise the seat with Seat Concepts foam, so I don't lose angle tipping on turns.

Back