• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

NC's at High Altitude

PortlandZinMan

Site Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just curious...anyone have any issues with the bikes at high altitude? Going to be hitting 7000+ feet in a few weeks (Crater Lake, OR). My old ST1100 would loose a bit of punch up there. I know she will run, but just wondering.

Just curious...anyone have any issues with the bikes at high altitude? Going to be hitting 7000+ feet in a few weeks (Crater Lake, OR). My old ST1100 would loose a bit of punch up there. I know she will run, but just wondering.
I've gone to over 9,000ft and there was no noticeable difference. I weigh 230lb side cases and stuff in the frunk was at least another 30lb. That was riding twisties at 45mph or so and no level ground. The climb from 6.5 or 7k up to 9k was pretty steep and the NC chugged along great

You'll lose horsepower regardless because there is no way to compensate for the thinner air. The Fi can probably adjust to prevent it getting overly rich but it can't add oxygen to the mix!

decently implemented EFI makes the best of whatever atmospheric conditions compared to carbs that have not been re-jetted to the new conditions, but yes, they still lose power as you go higher. it could really be a pain with carbureted snowmobiles due to not only altitude but temperature. we have it good.

I dunno about the people who didn't notice a loss -- but I've ridden up that way before on the NC and quite honestly, it was painful. Constantly downshifting to 5th (or sometimes 4th on the steeper passes) to keep momentum and speed.

The 48 horsepower comes more like.. 30, haha.

It'll do it, you'll just be happy when you're past it. :) Thankfully you'll be in Oregon and everyone will be driving around at about 40 miles per hour with their head up their butt, so you'll be able to keep up no problem. ahhahahaha!

Guys ride all the high Colorado passes on 250 dualsports stacked up with camping/touring gear all the time. There's probably been riders doing it on carbureted Suzuki DR200s for that matter ; }

I routinely ride from Estes Park, Colorado through Rocky Mountain National Park over Trail Ridge Road and then down the other side of the Rockies into Grand Lake, Colorado for lunch. I forget the exact highest point, but I think it's around 12,700 feet. Much of the ride is well above 10,000'. You'll be fine. Yes, you lose some HP, but you'll still have way more power than you can use if the tourists are anything like we have here in Colorado!

I usually gag all the way down the hill because I'm smelling the burning brakes from the Lincoln ahead of me with Missouri license plates and an octogenarian at the wheel!

Yeah, Going-To-Sun Road in Glacier NP always smells like hot brakes -- and fear -- too ; }

I've ridden Mt Evans many times on many bikes.

You will definitely feel a dramatic drop in power near the top, even compared to Denver.

There is less cooling at high altitude even though the motor's power requirements are fairly high because of the grade.

Having said that, I have never had a problem, whether on FI or carbureted bikes, the only exception being slide-throttle carbed bikes that don't respond well to elevation changes.

The main thing as far as I'm concerned is to go when there's minimal traffic as it's a beautiful road with beautiful scenery and if you hit it at the right time you can have a beautiful ride, as well.

The MAP sensor will reset the fuel mapping when the key is cycled at altitude.
Cycling the key below 3,300 feet will reset to the lower level.
The computer is not smart enough to know when one transitions these elevation changes.

The MAP sensor will reset the fuel mapping when the key is cycled at altitude.
Cycling the key below 3,300 feet will reset to the lower level.
The computer is not smart enough to know when one transitions these elevation changes.

Have to throw the BS flag on this one. ^^^^^^^^

If this was true the bike would run like crap as you climbed a mountain or descended into Death Valley. Fuel control would be effected and failed emissions and the catalyst would be toasted if the system went rich.

While the NC sytem is not super smart compared to some automotive systems it is smart enough to maintain full fuel control from below sea level to 14,000 feet with no rider intervention.

Last edited:
Have to throw the BS flag on this one. ^^^^^^^^
If this was true the bike would run like crap as you climbed a mountain or descended into Death Valley. Fuel control would be effected and failed emissions and the catalyst would be toasted if the system went rich.
While the NC sytem is not super smart compared to some automotive systems it is smart enough to maintain full fuel control from below sea level to 14,000 feet with no rider intervention.

I knew I would get push back on this one.

The Service section Cycle World Oct 2017 replied to an Africa Twin question riding 8000' Mount Charleston NV.
The bike would lose power surge and sputter unless he cycled the ignition at the higher and lower elevations.
CW Nierlich calls the MAP on the AT a BARO manifold absolute barometer pressure sensor. I ASSume the NC is similar.

Some of the more simple systems do not have a separate BARO sensor. As they use the MAP sensor to do both jobs. But the MAP does not normally need to be reset. Would be more inclined to think there something wrong with the MAP sensor, hoses or wiring in the cycle World case. Or even deferred maintenance on the air cleaner on a dirt bike, or fuel pump and filter probelm might have far more effect on the engine at altitude where the MAP can not longer keep the mixture in control causing sputtering.

Last edited:
Back