• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Ncx going to the repair shop

ziggie

Reaction score
Visit site
Noticed this buzzing noise the other day when clutch pulled in or slowing down.put up on center stand and noise coming from front sproket.turned wheel and it is more like a grinding noise.looked at sproket,no metal anywhere and sproket and teeth look good.I'm thinking stones or something in chain.I got the water hose out and sprayed around the shock and chain area,not hard just running water.jumped on bike to back it up and what a awful grinding noise coming from sproket.after a short ride up the road it started to go not as loud but still doing it.I'm thinking there is a seal behind the sproket or something behind it has gone bad.its over my tech head so going to local honda.they won't get to it until later this week,will keep post updated in Case this is something new going on.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

When you coast or decelerate, all slack in the chain can migrate to the top span Maybe you are just hearing the chain rub the top swingarm rubstrip. Check your chain tension. It's easy and free.

All has been checked.its the bad clicking noise when wet I am worried about.only have to push the bike and its click click click,but loud.

No more ideas - sorry.

Unless it has not been maintained (cleaned, lubed, and adjusted) when needed, your chain should be fine. Did you check for a rock when you inspected the sprocket? (Did you take the cover off?)

You might try cleaning the chain (I use WD-40 on a rag), adjusting it, and lubing it. Clean all the lube gunk and grit off the front sprocket while you are at it. Even on a worn chain this will briefly make it quieter.

Last edited:
I hope just the chain,but I'm thinking something behind the sproket,and louder when wet has me puzzled.

I hope just the chain,but I'm thinking something behind the sproket,and louder when wet has me puzzled.

Have you popped off the plastic sprocket cover and had a quick look see if there's anything stuck in there?

Yes ,and all looks good,cleaned it out,no wore teeth.

I can't remember, do you have a center stand? If not, can you get the bike up off the ground and spin the rear wheel (bike off, by hand) at a standstill?

Yes have center stand,still does it up off ground, that is how I pin pointed where it is coming from.if you could hear it I'm sure you would say that is not good.

I'll put $20 on the chain.

I will take a wild a** Internet guess ............I'll go with the chain......too.

NC made into Motorcycle Consumer News downtime tech Q&A........on dry sticky, kinky links, loose tight chain when rotated, noise and vibration.......all related to the chain maintenance as it pertaining to all motorcycles not just the NC.

Yes have center stand,still does it up off ground, that is how I pin pointed where it is coming from.if you could hear it I'm sure you would say that is not good.

Can you try and see what eliminating the chain from the equation does? Loosen the rear axle, push the wheel forward far enough to take the chain off the front sprocket, make sure nothing is touching, wire or zap strap the chain away from the front sprocket. If this is able to be done safely, start it up, and put the bike in gear.

If noise is still present, pop out the seal, and see if there is any little odd metal bit or pebble somehow stuck between the seal lip and the output shaft. (unlikely I think?)

Who knows, it very well could be the bearing on the transmission output shaft. Unusual, but possible I guess.

output bearing.jpg

I can't find a listing for that bearing alone in the fiche (the whole #3 part is called "COUNTERSHAFT 23220-MGS-D30" and is $183.99) but since it's not a BMW, I would be shocked if it wasn't a simple, readily available off the shelf item, probably under $10.00

Sometimes sounds can also be deceiving, and echo from one place or side to another, faking you out into thinking they are from a spot quite a ways away from your initial guess. Most people (me included) can put on the stubborn hat, and forsake other potential solutions on a quest to seek out "the noise from the front sprocket" when it's really coming from the clutch basket, for example.

Well first thank you all for the help.lbs thanks for the. Break down pic, I will keep for later use.took to Honda and was ready to go a week without it.after looking at chain,and a quick trip,they said chain was banjo string tight.explained to me about how this works and tight dosent let chain move correct. After they adjusted it and all the talk was done I rode back home 30 miles.not a noise or a scratch.I thought after having the new tires put on that it was to lose,and I tighten it.in fact in was in spec.the way Honda adjusted it to me it is lose with the up and down play,but really it is OK.the 3 bikes before were shaft,so I still have a lot to learn on this chain stuff.I think a loud can so I stop trying to hear all the noises,just not use to it yet.anyway thanks again,you guys and gals are great.
On another note,I just got 67 mpg on the last tank without trying,got to love it.

Last edited:
Well first thank you all for the help.lbs thanks for the. Break down pic, I will keep for later use.took to Honda and was ready to go a week without it.after looking at chain,and a quick trip,they said chain was banjo string tight.explained to me about how this works and tight dosent let chain move correct. After they adjusted it and all the talk was done I rode back home 30 miles.not a noise or a scratch.I thought after having the new tires put on that it was to lose,and I tighten it.in fact in was in spec.the way Honda adjusted it to me it is lose with the up and down play,but really it is OK.the 3 bikes before were shaft,so I still have a lot to learn on this chain stuff.I think a loud can so I stop trying to hear all the noises,just not use to it yet.anyway thanks again,you guys and gals are great.
On another note,I just got 67 mpg on the last tank without trying,got to love it.

Yaaay! All's well that ends well! I'm so glad it turned out to be no big headache or worry! :D

I'll put $20 that it's the rear brake pad clicking left to right as the rear rotor rotates through the caliper. Normal, because no brake pad is ever perfectly flat and no rotor is either -- especially small ones like rear pads that sit on a pin and only have one piston. It allows the pad to "rock" left or right (without creating drag) to follow the shape of the rotor or any abnormal rear wheel alignment.

Check that your rear wheel is straight (even on the left and right side of the swing arm), and listen carefully towards the rear caliper....

Mine does it on all of my bikes that have a pin-style mounted brake pad.

Back