• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Need some input for my trip to Jamaica...

Afan

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My wife and I plan to spend this Spring break in Jamaica. No, weed is not the reason, Colorado is much closer and cheaper :p
Because of all YouTube I watched, articles I read, and audio books I listened, I still believe people are good. And all that "crime and violence" is more product of News and fearmongering. I don't have ANY issue to rent-a-car when in Jamaica, or any other "suspicious" country) but my wife is freaking out we will be robed, raped, tortured, killed and fed to animals...
My "logic" is actually very simple: common sense. Don't try to get any attention, no handling money on street, no loud music in the car/bike, no gold... You know what I'm talking about.

So, I would like to hear your stories and opinions if you visited Jamaica or link to reliable website (No CNN/FoxNews, jamaica-is-horror.com, etc., please).

Thanks for any input,
Afan

My wife and I plan to spend this Spring break in Jamaica. No, weed is not the reason, Colorado is much closer and cheaper :p
Because of all YouTube I watched, articles I read, and audio books I listened, I still believe people are good. And all that "crime and violence" is more product of News and fearmongering. I don't have ANY issue to rent-a-car when in Jamaica, or any other "suspicious" country) but my wife is freaking out we will be robed, raped, tortured, killed and fed to animals...
My "logic" is actually very simple: common sense. Don't try to get any attention, no handling money on street, no loud music in the car/bike, no gold... You know what I'm talking about.

So, I would like to hear your stories and opinions if you visited Jamaica or link to reliable website (No CNN/FoxNews, jamaica-is-horror.com, etc., please).

Thanks for any input,
Afan
I went to school with Tons of Jamaicans. Lovely people but they don’t trust their country either. ‘As a white boy’ they told me just don’t leave the resort and I would be fine. now that was almost 20 years ago so hopefully it’s gotten better. They’re really lovely people though from the folks I met.

No help on Jamaica but when my wife and I went to Puerto Viarta Mexico we were strongly advised not to leave the compound. Took a lot of the fun out of travelling. It became a fancy prison. Europe on the other hand was wonderful and if Europe and Canada traded places I'd travel there often.

No help on Jamaica but when my wife and I went to Puerto Viarta Mexico we were strongly advised not to leave the compound. Took a lot of the fun out of travelling. It became a fancy prison. Europe on the other hand was wonderful and if Europe and Canada traded places I'd travel there often.
:p

"...Took a lot of the fun out of travelling..." - exactly my thoughts.
I'll never go to a country/county/city/place... if I have to be locked - "for my own safety".

To be honest, I really don't remember ANY of those bikers that circumnavigate the world ever said "... don't go there, it's dangerous, you'll get killed..." ?!? \
I can imagine what people told Louise Price when left for Iran? Or #OnHerBike and #ItchyBoots traveling around the World?

Here is the official US dept of State travel advisory for Jamaica: Jamaica Advisory

Country Summary: Violent crimes, such as home invasions, armed robberies, sexual assaults, and homicides, are common. Sexual assaults occur frequently, including at all-inclusive resorts. Local police lack the resources to respond effectively to serious criminal incidents. Emergency services vary throughout the island, and response times may vary from U.S. standards. The homicide rate reported by the Government of Jamaica has for several years been among the highest in the Western Hemisphere. U.S. government personnel are prohibited from traveling to areas listed below, from using public buses, and from driving outside of prescribed areas of Kingston at night.

Bottom line: The country is ranked Orange
Levels.png

Here is the official US dept of State travel advisory for Jamaica: Jamaica Advisory

Country Summary: Violent crimes, such as home invasions, armed robberies, sexual assaults, and homicides, are common. Sexual assaults occur frequently, including at all-inclusive resorts. Local police lack the resources to respond effectively to serious criminal incidents. Emergency services vary throughout the island, and response times may vary from U.S. standards. The homicide rate reported by the Government of Jamaica has for several years been among the highest in the Western Hemisphere. U.S. government personnel are prohibited from traveling to areas listed below, from using public buses, and from driving outside of prescribed areas of Kingston at night.

View attachment 51196
Exactly. They do not take these classifications lightly. Jamaica's own government has reimposed a state of emergency due to violent criminal acts, which is entirely unrelated to any media coverage of the issues.

You might look at the Dominican Republic. I have guys from work that go there frequently and have great experiences. If changing your destination is possible at this point.

The whole world is dangerous to some degree, but then again so is just riding a motorcycle, which I do every day, or almost every day. I have ridden to all of the lower 48 US states, 2 provinces of Canada and 5 countries in Europe. I have also traveled by car to 3 more provinces of Canada, and by plane to Alaska and Mexico. Mexico is the only place I ever felt life threatened and that was by warning if I had planned to leave the resort. BTW we did leave the resort one night, took a cab to a mountain top restaurant overlooking the ocean, but had to pass through a gate with guards armed with machine guns at the bottom of the hill going up to the restaurant. Made the warning the resort gave us relevant in my mind, and in retrospect maybe we were a little foolish and lucky

At this point I would not consider traveling to Mexico due to the Govt warning

Personally I would tend to trust gov't travel warnings

There is a reason they are called " s-hole countries". Got robbed in Mexico almost 50 years ago. Also stopped by machine gun armed troops in the mountains looking for bribes--- things are not better now.

View attachment 51196

In the last two weeks 10 and then 7 dead in California, 2 high school students in my Des Moines shot dead... There are probably more shootings and dead people that are not reported or not on the National News
I wonder what would US Gov Advisory write about visiting USA?!?

Personally I would tend to trust gov't travel warnings

The reason I don't trust US Government Advisory for traveling because they say for Bosnia & Hercegovaina, my country "... Terrorist groups continue plotting possible attacks in Bosnia and Herzegovina. Terrorists may attack with little or no warning, targeting tourist locations, transportation hubs, markets/shopping malls, local government facilities, hotels, clubs, restaurants, places of worship, parks, major sporting and cultural events, educational institutions, airports, and other public areas...." and, as a Bosnian, believe me, it's soooo far from the truth. Terrorists?!? The only things Bosnians like to terrorize are food and beer. Nothing will happen to you. Or, to be more accurate, nothing can happen to you more than in any city in US and/or CAN or any other country of "western civilization" :D
https://travel.state.gov/content/tr...y-Information-Pages/BosniaandHerzegovina.html

As a matter of fact, I would like to know what terrorist attacks happened in B&H that I'm not aware of?

Regarding the mass-shootings and dead people in January, most of the countries can advise their citizens to NOT visit US.
Also, I lived in the Bronx for more than 2 years. Walked through Harlem and South Bronx with family... Never had any bad experience... "Regular" people are good. I believe in people.

I'm digressing... As somebody actually said, the main reason to NOT go to Jamaica is: "... if my wife was uncomfortable going somewhere for a vacation, I'd NEVER give it a 2nd thought and go elsewhere ... otherwise, it wouldn't be a vacation...". And he's totally right.

Back