• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

New Africa Twin = Home Run?

Red Rider

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
100 hp
Lower seat height to 32.5”
Adjustable W/S
500 lbs wet
300-plus mile range
CRUISE CONTROL standard
DCT or Manual

Just to name a few...
Mebbe Honda has a hit on the horizon:)

Could be.

As I understand it the cc's and hp were bumped up to provide good performance while still meeting the next level of EU emissions standards. Apparently several mfg's have done/are bumping up engines.

I'd be more interested in the rumored 850cc version. If it's a little lighter, a little shorter to the seat, but still has cruise control. In theory I could flat foot a bike with a seat height of 32.5" but an inch lower would be nice.

A frunk would be a huge bonus too!

I agree with you as to the 850cc version. Haven’t seen whether that’s a reality yet. But if it is, I swap the frunk for the cruise control... :rolleyes:

Then again, maybe they’ll throw Cruise on next year’s NC!!

May as well wish BIG :cool:

If the Africa Twin is intended for riding where there is no road, it is simply too heavy, and produces unnecessary power (for me, anyway). A half size version would interest me much more. Even the rumored 850cc seems too large.

I understand the appeal of cruise control, but I have cruise on my ‘Wing and might use it only 5% of the time I ride it.

Last edited:
If the Africa Twin is intended for riding where there is no road, it is simply too heavy, and produces unnecessary power (for me, anyway). A half size version would interest me much more. Even the rumored 850cc seems too large.

I understand the appeal of cruise control, but I have cruise on my ‘Wing and might use it only 5% of the time I ride it.

Hey Greg, I agree with the"t oo heavy for me" statement. I went from the Super Tenere down to a 650 Vstrom. The Vstrom is almost as boring as the NC and that's why i like it! (Joke) . I believe I could go up to an 800 (maybe 1000cc depending on the bike) in size and be very happy. I put 45,000 trouble free miles on the S10 but it was very heavy!

I'm going to Colorado and Utah in 2 days with Banjoferg ! Actually going to meet him in Co. Springs and tour Utah's canyon lands.

I miss the Hillbilly Hangouts!

The current Africa Twin has been a great success for Honda as it is and I think the '20 version is a excellent evolution. One thing my little NC750X has shown me (actually, more like reminded me) that HP is not the end-all-be-all in motorcycling. My current stable of motorcycles are all well over 100HP each with the exception of the 750X which I commute on daily. With 50HP on tap, it safely gets me up to the required 80-90MPH my local freeway pace requires me to with no issues and gets off the line and beats all cars in regular driving conditions.

My main current long distance tourer is a KTM 1190 ADV, which is comparable to the Africa Twin. Excellent performance, awesome power (especially with all the performance upgrades), very capable and well rounded motorcycle. I am seriously considering replacing it with the new AF when it becomes available next year. Another thing the 750X has shown me is that Honda simply puts together a good quality product. The switches, hand controls, transmission, plastics, etc....it all seems miles ahead of what KTM outfits their bikes with. My personal experiences with KTM products has been excellent but a few people within my riding circle will never purchase another KTM product again from their personal experiences....almost no one has that reservation with any Honda product, car/motorcycle.

I think Honda has serious winner on their hands. I will be closely eye'ing the AF when it comes out next year. My biggest issue is just getting away from the office long enough to enjoy riding bikes for more than a day or 2 at a time (commuting does not count).

1. Weight of unit - Honda NC750 DCT weight is 500 lbs
Suzuki VStrom 650 weight is 490 lbs
BMW R1250 GS is 549 lbs
2020 Honda Africa Twin DCT Sports ES weight is 520 with the new light frame

So, not really a issue.

2. More power in the 2020 Honda Africa Twin DCT Sports is increased to 100 horse power. Any motorcycle that will run the speed limit is all I really need.

So, more power makes no difference to me, as it is not needed for most situations I will get into.

3. New frame with lower set high makes a big difference to me, as I could not even consider riding the 2019 Honda Africa Twin with out folks posted to catch me at every stop. The new lower seat height standard is 33.4 inches and you can buy a lower seat if needed. The NC750x has a 32.7 seat height.

So, the new frame on the Honda Africa Twin is a big plus for me.

4. 525 drive chain as opposed to the 520 drive chain. Could get a BMW R 1250 GS with shaft drive, but it is $7000 more.

So, got no problem with chain life that is almost double that of the 520 drive chain.

5. Rims are spoked tubeless size 21 inch and 18 inch the perfect dirt size rims and tires.

So, on the road I will only have to plug the tire, and not change the tube. Over the years I believe I have had a flat on a motorcycle in every state. Plug a whole lot easier.

6. Electronic Suspension.

So, no more bent rims when I go to the dirt. I did bend and brake a few DCT rims. Oh yeah, will not have to stop and let air out of the tire in the dirt and add air when on the pavement.

7. Extended Warranty a must with all these electric modules.

So, I will have to purchase the 8 year extended warranty at around a grand.

8. Cruise Control.

So, no more fingers going to sleep when spending long hours on the road

9. Will not be available for about 6 months

So, with my luck the next tsunami storm is about to total another Honda plant in Japan. It always takes me almost a year to get my new motorcycle from the time I ordered it. Also, I will be beyond rabbit if DCTFAN gets his before I do this time.

10. So, I ordered my 2020 Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sport ES DCT about 5 minutes after I saw the bike about 5 days ago. Bad thing is I now have to get back into ducking practice before my wife finds out.

One thing about being in your mid 70’s is you know what to expect !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Besides I most likely will not live long enough to pay off this bike, but what a good time I will have going out!!!

Last edited:
Spoked rim tubeless tires are a BIG plus.

I agree with OCR, the power increase, if any, is meaningless. And, if this this is meant to actually go in dirt, it has way more power (and weight) than you’d need for that anyway.

525 chain is great, but I wish motorcycle engineers would put their heads together and develop a zero maintenance, light weight final drive system so we can get away from chain maintenance and frequent replacements. Present chain drive design, all exposed to the elements, is so primitive. If automobile owners were told to stop and crawl under the car and lube their final drive every 500 miles, how well do you thing that would go over? Why are motorcycle owners putting up with it?

Good luck with your new AT, OCR. I hope you get it soon and enjoy many happy miles!

One of the best things I ever learned from our navy friend, Fuzzy, is the Tutoro chain oiler. The rear rim still needs cleaning, but the oiler sure cuts down the time spent on the chain.

Last edited:
One of the best things I ever learned from our navy friend, Fuzzy, is the Tutoro chain oiler. The rear rim still needs cleaning, but the oiler sure cuts down to time spent on the chain.
And you've been kind enough to pass that along, it was on your recommendation that I looked into a Tutoro and I've had one on my NC for years now, great product that I recommend to anyone with a chain

I have to be honest, the new 2020 w/ 6+ gallon tank, electronic cruise control, TFT colored screen, DCT, spoke rims and tubeless tires makes me think of trading up. My NC only has 50,000 miles so there is a lot of life left in it....But....I really like this new AT.

africa-twin-2020-3-3678-XL.jpg

My current Africa Twin only has 26,000 miles due the heath problems I ran into the last 2 years. However, I know beyond any shadow of a doubt I am selling my current Africa Twin for the new 2020 Africa Twin Adventure Sports ES DCT. I have been on the roads to the ends of Alaska (the known world) and seen the BMW’s with the bad shaft drives being hauled back to Fairbanks for the $1500 fee. These bikes then had to be flown back to the US cities for repairs, another $1500. So, I can live with the 525 chain....

I'm done with tall heavy bikes. I am of the school of thought that if I can't pick it up then I shouldn't be riding it. I am 5'8" and as such I accept that the AT is now too tall for me. I am also finding that lighter bikes are much more fun. Sure the NC is comparable weight wise but it carries that weight waaay lower down.

2020 CRF1100L = Home Run
IMO Honda's AT playbook has been planned way back when they released the 2016 models.
2016 AT was a hit to first base.
2017 AT were nothing but color changes
2018 they hit 2nd base wtih Throttle by Wire and additional power modes and drew many people towards the Adventure Sports.
2019 was another year of hohum color changes
2020 they finally hit the homerun with introduction of IMU and finally CC.
Touchdown!

DCTFAN, I watched you ride that rocky trail through the forest last year around Snowbird Mtn. I was thoroughly impressed with your skills in handling such a heavy motorcycle as the Africa Twin off road. And yes, it was definitely not a road. Me, I’ll have to stick with my lightweight 144cc Kawi and 249cc Honda for the off-road stuff. The AT is too heavy and too powerful for me to ride off road.

For my long distance trips with maybe 20% off pavement and lack of off-road skills, the AT would be sorely underutilized. For anyone interested, there's a 2017 (I think) AT with CC for sale at G&C Honda in Shreveport. $10K . I forget the mileage - not too high.
I finally found a R1200 GSA I could swing at the local BMW/Indian dealer here in Shreveport, so that's what I'm on now. Sweet ride! But, like you Greg, I wouldn't attempt anything more than gravel on this heavy beast. Very comfy on asphalt on long distance rides. I have two daughters. One lives 600 mile east, one 600 miles west of me....the slab machine wins!

Looks like a great bike I can't afford ;)

I'd *love* to see Honda take the CB500x to a factory "Rally Raid stage three" config. A baby ADV would a great addition to the line up. It's a very popular aftermarket set-up already.

I'd also love to see an NC750xd that was more of an actual light duty adventure bike, with forks and shock appropriate to the job, and clearance to run 17/19. The grunt low down that we have combined with truly sufficient highway speeds and outstanding mileage is a potential winner for "rough road" type ADV riding.

I know aftermarket can achieve those results bikes, but it's added cost. Good solutions from the factory would potentially lower the price to get there.

I would argue that Suzuki makes an inexpensive mid sized adventure bike in the 650 Vstrom. It was my last bike and an excellent ride, but too small for the long haul imho.
I also agree with bringing the CB500X up a notch would be a good idea.
BTW- there's no way I could afford a new GS . I got a great deal on this use one. After trading in my 650Vstrom , I financed $6,300. That was with the catastrophic break down ins. Hope I never have to use it! It has 30,000 miles on it.

Back