• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

New Battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lou

Reaction score
Visit site
When I installed a new battery on my NC700XD I inadvertently reversed the polarity. I quickly realized my mistake and corrected the mistake. However, now the total electrical system is dead. I checked the main fuse and it appears good. Any suggestions?

I had a look on the web. I tried various questions similar to yours but the answers were not encouraging. The responses varied from fried wiring to fried ECU and possibly the Alternator. If the fuses are ok, then perhaps try another battery and if that does not work then take it to someone who knows their electronics.

What are you calling "the main fuse"? The one next to the starter relay to the right of the battery or one of the fuses in the fuse compartment?

An AGM battery in good condition and fully charged must give you 12.8-13.0V (depends on the manufacturer. For Yuasa/Varta is 13.0V).

At 12V or lower it's empty and suffers from severe sulfation and you're gonna loose it...

If you can't be helpful surely you can find something better to do with your time.

I'll take you up on that suggestion.

You have provided very little information to help someone troubleshoot YOUR problem. You checked the fuse and it "appears good." Checked what specific fuse, and checked it how? Did you ohm it out, or did you check for 12 volts to ground both before and after the fuse? Did you check the other fuses in the fuse block, as was suggested? Do you have a voltmeter and schematics to work with, or are you limited to simple visual observation?

Sorry, buddy. If you want some help, you're going to need to get more engaged than you are, and stop making snide comments. Good luck.

Last edited:
I'll take you up on that suggestion.

You have provided very little information to help someone troubleshoot YOUR problem. You checked the fuse and it "appeared" good. Checked what specific fuse, and checked it how? Did you ohm it out, or did you check for 12 volts to ground both before and after the fuse? Did you check the other fuses in the fuse block, as was suggested?

Sorry, buddy. If you want some help, you're going to need to get more engaged than you are, and stop making snide comments. Good luck.

Agree. Not sure who or what it was directed to, but I have other things I can do as well.

Check the 30 amp fuse under the cap of the starter relay. The starter relay is tucked in to the right of the battery (opposite side of the fuse block). And there's a spare fuse on the bottom of the relay unit.
Don't ask me how I know !

Beemerphile has excellent pics and knowledge of this.
Don't ask me how I know ! Lol

Hard to imagine that any manufacturer making anything electronic would not spend an additional 10 cents to install a polarity protection diode.
Then again, it is a great way for them to sell a lot of expensive replacement parts.

Not sure any vehicle manufacture has "polarity protection"............other than the installer error usually blows the main fuse if your lucky and boat load of Electrical components if your not. That polarity penalty Has been effect for 75 or more years. ( remember when there was positve ground vehicles ????? And negative ground .......you really had to pay attention back then) .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back