• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

New bike MPG only 50?

The automotive industry is faced with balancing economy and emissions requirements vs power and driver experience. If increases in fuel economy are achieved, they can reduce the fuel capacity (weight) and achieve a range that consumers find acceptable. Reducing weight helps fuel economy and 'performance'.

As with 'VW Dieselgate', lower emissions does not always equate to better fuel economy.
But also with VW, when they put a TDI in a Jetta, they kept the same size tank, which significantly upped the range (by something like 80% if I recall correctly). They didn't decide to put a smaller tank in the TDI to maintain the same range of the gas engine version while reaping the benefits of the smaller capacity.

I just mean, did they sit down and research and calculate that 600km in a tank for a car is optimal, or is it more of an old holdover where there's no need to have a tank exceed 600km because that's what people are used to, so we can take advantage of the benefits of a reduced fuel volume without sacrificing range, instead of going for an increased range.
Basically, did what seems to be a standard number come from science or just out of someone's butt and no one feels the need to change it.

But also with VW, when they put a TDI in a Jetta, they kept the same size tank, which significantly upped the range (by something like 80% if I recall correctly). They didn't decide to put a smaller tank in the TDI to maintain the same range of the gas engine version while reaping the benefits of the smaller capacity.

I just mean, did they sit down and research and calculate that 600km in a tank for a car is optimal, or is it more of an old holdover where there's no need to have a tank exceed 600km because that's what people are used to, so we can take advantage of the benefits of a reduced fuel volume without sacrificing range, instead of going for an increased range.
Basically, did what seems to be a standard number come from science or just out of someone's butt and no one feels the need to change it.
I cannot answer that question as I was on the automotive electronics side of things not the vehicle design. I do know there are many competing requirements that must be addressed in vehicle design. There is a finite amount of space to fit all of the parts of a vehicle. The increase in electronics has been eating away at the precious space that could be used for additional fuel, cargo space, passenger space, etc.

My guess is that we arrived at this specification empirically, not wanting to 'give up' something from the past that people have grown to expect.

My guess is that we arrived at this specification empirically, not wanting to 'give up' something from the past that people have grown to expect.
That's the sense I got too, the range isn't some magic number with actual significance, it's just what people expect.
A car with much less range is going to be undesirable (range is one of the biggest complaints for current electric car models) and a car with an increased range is going to be less desirable than a car with the same range but reduced weight (and other benefits).

New 2021 NC750X owner here...

My mpgs seem quite a bit lower than everyone else's.

I've got about 900 miles on my bike. Just did the first oil change.

My commute is mostly 55-60mph and I'm averaging 54-56mpg. If I get stupid with the throttle, it'll drop to 52mpg. 54-56mpg is as good as I can get. That's me short-shifting, coasting and everything else I can think of to help it get better mileage.

I recently did a trip to Jonesboro, AR which was about 350 miles, round trip. It was mostly interstates at 80mph. I averaged 48mpg on this trip.

I'm not exactly mad, but I am pretty disappointed when every thing I read about this bike says 60mpg or better.

I'm just not seeing it so far. I'm hoping it breaks in and gets better. 56mpg isn't bad, but I have to baby it to get that. 52mpg seems flat-out mediocre. And 48mpg seems poor. My Harley Ultra Limited got 45-47mpg. The NC should do better, I would think?

My commute is mostly 55-60mph and I'm averaging 54-56mpg. If I get stupid with the throttle, it'll drop to 52mpg. 54-56mpg is as good as I can get. That's me short-shifting, coasting and everything else I can think of to help it get better mileage.

I recently did a trip to Jonesboro, AR which was about 350 miles, round trip. It was mostly interstates at 80mph. I averaged 48mpg on this trip.

I'm not exactly mad, but I am pretty disappointed when every thing I read about this bike says 60mpg or better.

I'm just not seeing it so far. I'm hoping it breaks in and gets better. 56mpg isn't bad, but I have to baby it to get that. 52mpg seems flat-out mediocre. And 48mpg seems poor. My Harley Ultra Limited got 45-47mpg. The NC should do better, I would think?
48 mpg at 80 mph in cool weather is about right but 54-56 mpg at 55-60 mph isn't. How are you calculating your mpg so far?

Are you basing your MPG off of a dashboard display, or are you calculating it with odometer readings and actual gasoline volume purchased? Are you using the lower RPM range, say 2000-4000, or are you riding it at 4000-6000 RPM? I get great mileage but for riding at 55-60 mph, my RPM never goes above 3500. 55-60 mph riding should get you 65 mpg.

It’s important to note that the NC can get good mileage, but not with 80 mph interstate travel. The way the motorcycle is ridden will have a very large impact on the fuel economy.

Oh OK. That's not very accurate. Distance / fuel burned is more accurate and the more tank fill-ups measured improves accuracy over time.

I use an app called Fuelly to track mpg. Free version. It only takes a moment to enter distance and fuel added. Here is a pic of the last few fill-ups.

Fuelly screenshot.PNG

Last edited:
Calculate it by hand and you'll see that there is a difference.

Also, I didn't start getting my best fuel economy until after a few thousand miles. Probably due in part to break-in of the bike and also me getting used to how to ride it efficiently.

Rural rides (35-55mph roads), I've achieved 87 mpg (US gallons). General commuting through town 65mpg without trying and 72mpg with mindful effort.

A simple one tank method...Fill up, reset or zero either A or B on gauge, drive until next fill up. Check miles ridden. Fill up. Divide miles ridden by gallons and tenths used to refill.. example: 206.7 miles ridden divided by 3.2 gals to refill equals 64.59 mpg or approx 65 mpg. Reset A or B whichever one you used and repeat.

Back