• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

new bike!

johnakay

Site Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
traded in my tracer 700 for a 900.
getting it this thursday.

s-l1600_1.jpg

Very nice bike, but not one I could relax on with that frantic motor. Best of luck on it.

In 1973 I went down and got tangled up with my Suzuki. I can only bend my left knee a little more than 90º and had a central dislocation of my left hip (femur punches through the hip socket). This has created all sorts of problems with getting a 21st Century comfortable motorcycle seat. I wanted a better sport touring than the NC and bought the US model of that bike (FJ-09). From 10/17 through 2/18 I went through multiple seats including a custom one by a well known expert. In addition, while a dandy hooligan bike, I found it to be mechanically noisy, busy bike that didn't smooth out until over 80 MPH. I finally gave up this past Feb. and traded it in on a demo 2017 BMW R1200GS. The seat isn't great, but I was able to mod it so I can do consecutive 500 mile days. Really like the big, mellow boxer engine. I really hope the 900 works out for you as well as the 700 did.

to be honest I've not test ridden it. it was such a good offer so I bought it.
I wanted one anyway to do a few touring around england etc. once done I'll more than likely go back to the NC
I like the DCT and frunk.
more than likely the 'S' model unless Honda change the new styling on the 'X'.
dont like the big side panel if anything I like the old style better.
as for the tracer I will put 1 tooth bigger front sprocket.always do on new bikes except the nc.
will let you know how it feels once I start riding it.
got to get it insured/taxed.

so far since coming back off my hols.I've done 180 miles on my new tracer 900. never thought I would say this but loving it better than the 700.oozes power.very flickable and so easy to ride.very pleased is an understatement.plenty of grunt thats for sure.so easy to get up to speed..just a slight twist of the throttle and she off got over 90 at one point.went to whitby came home on another route. wanted to try out some of the roads we usually go on going to grosmont,rosedale bank top(very sharp 'S' bend.it was easier to do on the 900 than the 700 believe it or not.just stayed in second gear going up make it even easier still and I think wide bars help to.the motor is a peach.so glad I bought it.worked out the mpg and it returned 60.07. so it should do over 200 miles to a tankful.

Last edited:
OK, it's been forever since I bought a new machine; actually only 1 was ever bought new in 1991 (the Ducati). So I don't remember, is there such a thing as new bike smell like an automobile? Regardless, hope it is a great experience.

There is. I think it has to do with the engine paint baking in. You notice it on cars too, but obviously it's easier on a bike.

OK, it's been forever since I bought a new machine; actually only 1 was ever bought new in 1991 (the Ducati). So I don't remember, is there such a thing as new bike smell like an automobile? Regardless, hope it is a great experience.

There is. I think it has to do with the engine paint baking in. You notice it on cars too, but obviously it's easier on a bike.

There is a new bike smell, but I call it a stink. Like Doc said, it's probably paint and plastics emitting chemicals from engine and exhaust heat. I'm happy to get rid of it after 1000 miles or so.

I test rode the Tracer 900 GT a couple of weeks ago and fell in love with that bike. Flickable, throttle more responsive, quick off the line, the GT model has factory cruise control (standard), heated grips (standard), but the price, nope, nada, not until the GT comes down in price to the non-gt price (probably wont happen, ever)....MSRP here in the States is $12,999 and not many coming to the USA. The Tracer 700 is not coming either (wasnt here in 2018, not going to be imported in 2019)-the Tracer 700 has a 689cc engine and 74bhp...I am not an engineer-how do they get 20+ more hp from on 19 more cc than our NC700 with 670cc and 51hp engine....

The Tracer 700 is not coming either (wasnt here in 2018, not going to be imported in 2019)-the Tracer 700 has a 689cc engine and 74bhp...I am not an engineer-how do they get 20+ more hp from on 19 more cc than our NC700 with 670cc and 51hp engine....

I think the Tracer has a 10,500 RPM redline.

Last edited:
davidc83;205474I am not an engineer-how do they get 20+ more hp from on 19 more cc than our NC700 with 670cc and 51hp engine....[/QUOTE said:
Don't need to be an engineer, but HS physics would be handy. This is the equation for HP:

hp.jpg

So, to increase HP either Torque, RPM, or both have to be raised. Things like compression ratio, bore/stroke ratio, cam timing, ignition timing, combustion chamber geometry, intake & exhaust geometry, valve train design all effect engine characteristics. It's also 40 lbs lighter than the NC.

I test rode the Tracer 900 GT a couple of weeks ago and fell in love with that bike. Flickable, throttle more responsive, quick off the line, the GT model has factory cruise control (standard), heated grips (standard), but the price, nope, nada, not until the GT comes down in price to the non-gt price (probably wont happen, ever)....MSRP here in the States is $12,999 and not many coming to the USA. The Tracer 700 is not coming either (wasnt here in 2018, not going to be imported in 2019)-the Tracer 700 has a 689cc engine and 74bhp...I am not an engineer-how do they get 20+ more hp from on 19 more cc than our NC700 with 670cc and 51hp engine....

Typically, Honda engines are “understressed”, meaning they are built heavier, and designed for less rpms, thus delivering less HP. This also explains why they generally are very durable, and tend to accumulate high mileage totals.
There’s no such thing as a free lunch!
That being said, modern manufacturing techniques, extremely fine tolerances, and great engineering make even the high revving, sportier bikes much more reliable than even 10 years ago. Win-win!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back