• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

New chain

Hmcp88

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Changed the chain today. Sprockets still look good so since I think 13,000 miles is premature for a chain (thanks Honda) I just did the chain. I put a Regina gold (to prevent rust) 520 chain on. $67.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21367004670.165380.jpg

What was wrong with the chain? That sounds like awfully low mileage to need a replacement.

Excuse me, but like oil and oil filter, it is way better to change the chain with new sprockets front and rear.
Just my own silly experience.
:D

Chain had tight spots that were so bad it was jerking in the lower gears. And yes that is the common myth but I'm all about busting myths like 3,000 mile oil changes, replacing the valve cover gasket every time and not plugging a rear tire :)

If the sprockets don't show any wear, I won't change them. I won't change all the tires on my truck if one fails either. YMMV

Chain had tight spots that were so bad it was jerking in the lower gears. And yes that is the common myth but I'm all about busting myths like 3,000 mile oil changes, replacing the valve cover gasket every time and not plugging a rear tire :)

Did replacing the chain fix the problem? I had my chain and rear sprocket replaced under warranty at about 1500 miles because of tight spots in the chain. The dealer replaced the chain, but then found that the problem was actually a malformed rear sprocket and replaced that too.

Yes the chain did fix the riding issue. Only time will tell if this chain gets prematurely worn due to the sprockets. Next time I change the chain I will do sprockets as well but hopefully that won't be for a while..

Question: Is the front sprocket on this bike reversible? I used to reverse lightly-worn sprockets on equipment to 'even out' the wear. Can't do it if any signs of hooking have started, though, unless you want a disaster.

Question: Is the front sprocket on this bike reversible? I used to reverse lightly-worn sprockets on equipment to 'even out' the wear. Can't do it if any signs of hooking have started, though, unless you want a disaster.

Not sure about that. I tried that same approach with front brake pads on my cbr. Rotating the inside pads to the outside so they wear evenly because they never do. Ended up 1. Not being worth it 2. Damaging the rotor. Pads wore in the same timeframe as usual and the rotor had a "grind" to it after that. So I try not to reverse the pattern in which something is worn to, I may be wrong but one bad experience keeps me from doing it again.

It seems to me that years ago (over 30 years) we never replaced the sprockets when changing a chain, unless the sprockets looked like it needed changing. As I recall sprockets just didn't wear out that easily.

Back