• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

New CTX700 reviews

I wish Honda (or any of the big three for that matter) would come out with one of these (what the NT700 should have been!!):

Kawasaki 650 engine clone in a SV650 style frame with a mini FJR look:

15674.1366894340.650TR.jpg

Last edited:
To yticolev...

I agree that built-in storage is always good. The frunk, I would think, is even handier than underseat, saddle bags, or top-case storage, because you can actually stow or unstow before dismounting if you want.

I guess my point is that I'm going to make the riding stance/position, the way the bike fits me, and highway comfort higher priority than built-in storage or even the ease of adding storage, because I've learned from others on ModernVespa.com that there are simple and cheap solutions for luggage if one is not picky about how it looks, how it mounts, or where it sits on the bike. Now I don't want it mounting over the gas tank, but, other than that, since I'm getting the bike primarily for a long, daily commute to and from work, and the bike will be under cover both at home and work, the luggage is not that big a deal to me, especially since I don't often stop to get groceries.

I'll take the advice about riding the NC some more to give the foot position another try. On the scooter, I've rarely had the urge to stand. I'll just have to check out the Comfort part of the CTX when it comes in, sit and ride them both, and then decide.

One thing is for sure. The latest review helps me throw out one model. I now know, at least from one experienced opinion, that the naked CTX pushes on your body like a sail, and that the fairing model helps with that a lot. That was one thing that I've wondered about. I didn't want to spend an extra $800 for a fairing that is just there for looks. I wish he had ridden one with a tall windshield also and had been able to report on how that affected the ride.

I've got one general question as a MC dummy. Do cruiser-style bikes ever have center stands, and if not, how does one lube/clean the chain or even properly check the oil level with only a side stand? Are there other after-market devices, so that one can center the bike and dismount it.

Coming to all of this as a scooter rider, this one aspect intrigues me about MCs. It's like buying a car with a parking brake as an add-on accessory. I don't get it that they sell motorcycles with no way to park it level in stock form.

that would have been ideal for me but without the side luggage.
by having a full fairing on I'm sure this would give the nc a better mpg ..less wind drag?

Yep, United Motors. They have a decent dealer network here in Houston (right now), but parts availability is the main issue. I had a Hyosung (Korean) GT650 (SV 650 clone) a few years back and it was a great bike. But, the dealer network dried up and I sold it.

Both Hyosung and United motors are fairly popular in other parts of the world, just have not been able to get a decent foothold in the US.

I've got one general question as a MC dummy. Do cruiser-style bikes ever have center stands, and if not, how does one lube/clean the chain or even properly check the oil level with only a side stand? Are there other after-market devices, so that one can center the bike and dismount it.

Coming to all of this as a scooter rider, this one aspect intrigues me about MCs. It's like buying a car with a parking brake as an add-on accessory. I don't get it that they sell motorcycles with no way to park it level in stock form.

Not sure what you're asking when you ask if there are any other after mkt devices where you can "Center the bike and dismount it"? it's normal to use the kick stand when dismounting and once off the bike to put it up on it's center stand. Getting off an MC without the kickstand down is very likely to result in a dropped bike, and there's no physical way to get it up on the Center stand whilst still aboard.

Why they don't come with a center stand is a great question, and maybe the answer to that is the same as to the question of why Honda don't supply us with a tool kit in the US.

My daughter's PCX150 scooter came with both center and side stands as standard, and for half the money a NCX costs, but also no tool kit.

I love having the center stand as the bike takes up less space in my garage when on it.

I don't think I've seen a cruiser with a center stand, but that doesn't mean they don't exist. Most cruisers don't have a chain, they use either belt or shaft drive. For those with chains, and for other jobs requiring either lifting the wheel off the ground or leveling it the bike, they use a different type stand. Typically the bottom of the frame under a cruiser is flat enough to use a hydraulic motorcycle/ATV Lift. The lift goes under the engine/transmission and you pump a handle to raise both the front and rear wheels off the ground.
I imagine the main reason cruisers don't have center stands has to do with ground clearance. Seems their styling mantra is lower is better. The first cruiser I bought was so low that the first time I tried to turn onto a side street I drug the frame. At any rate when you start with a design that calls for a low profile, anything that sticks down or out like a center stand isn't a good thing. This is just my opinion and there may be some other reason, but the bottom line is you don't normally see center stands on cruisers.
Bob

I'd point out that the NC700 doesn't come with a center stand either, something Honda takes a lot of flack for. You certainly can do all the basic maintenance without one, including chain tension adjustments, but of course it is a lot easier with a center stand. Most probably one will become available for the CTX, but you can also do what many do and use a stay at home stand. These are available for $50 up (one pictured below). Pump up style jacks are more money. Lots of folks don't want center stands, racers for example.

I considered such a non-attached stand, but being a bit of a mpg freak, I really wanted the bike level for maximum tank fills.

0000_Pit_Bull_Standard_Rear_Stand_--.jpg

Snipped .......I'm not sure I agreed with his comments about the DN-01. While an "automatic", that bike had a CVT, not a DCT. Very different.
The DN-01 has a hydraulic-mechanical transmission that is electronically controlled. Honda calls it the HFT or Human Friendly Transmission. It is not a simple belt and pulley CVT that varies gearing ratio with a centrifugal variator. The HFT is seamless in operation or simulates a 6 speed transmission depending rider choice. Very different from a CVT.

My old 1980 GS550L was kinda-sorta cruiser looking (which I hated) and had a center stand, which used to be standard equipment on just about all street bikes, at least the Japanese ones. I always put it on/off the center stand while mounted, but it had a rather low seat.

How much higher is the seat from the ground when on the center stand is the NC?

I have to say I think Honda has the right idea.

In a Bike, Give me what I need, as a basic Bike, nothing more, options available to make it your own, Kind of like a like a Scion car

I do like the CTX700 w/fairing bike, just wish it had the same Frunk and gas tank size like My NC700X.

I would not mind owning both a NC700X & a CTX700

Only problem is standard CTX700 storage is barely enough for a pack of smokes or a wallet, since i dont smoke

I also like the CB500F & "S" or is it "X" but the CB500 seems a little small physically for me i am 6'-0" 180-lbs

The DN-01 has a hydraulic-mechanical transmission that is electronically controlled. Honda calls it the HFT or Human Friendly Transmission. It is not a simple belt and pulley CVT that varies gearing ratio with a centrifugal variator. The HFT is seamless in operation or simulates a 6 speed transmission depending rider choice. Very different from a CVT.

It is true that it is not a belt and pulley CVT, but a Continuously Variable Transmission it is (perhaps that is what you mean by seamless)? Like many other CVTs, it can mimic stepped transmissions but only if you put it in "manual" mode.

Last edited:
Of course I didn't really mean center and then dismount. I stated that incorrectly. I guess what I don't understand is that with my scooter, I'm supposed to put it on the center stand before I check the oil or do anything else maintenance, inspection, or service wise. It is much more sturdy on the side stand, so that's the way I normally park it when it is subjected to the weather or anywhere out in the public, but if I'm going to be looking at anything on it, I put it on the center stand first.

I know in a sense a center stand doesn't make sense for a low-profile motorcycle like the CTX700 that would easily scrape the lower side anyway even without a center stand sticking down even lower. That's why I was confused, and I knew that something must be available. Thanks for the picture of the stay-at-home stand and it seems as though that's cheaper than a center stand anyway and wouldn't be an extra component that has to be lubed/serviced, so I like that idea other than the hassle of mounting it and dismounting it. That makes sense. But does Honda recommend checking the oil with it canted to the left side? or is someone supposed to hold it for you whilst you check the oil and other fluids?

CVT is one of the main reasons I don't like a scooter. Belt replacement every 12.4K, slider/roller, variator, and variator fan replacement expected about every one-and-a-half belt replacements. Other parts wear fairly quickly too within that type of transmission system; clutch, and other transmission parts, because that belt and variator slides back and forth and everything gets wear. I see comments all the time where MC folks are stating that a MC company should use a CVT system instead of a chain-driven standard, dual-clutch, or even shaft-driven standard. These people should be careful what they are wishing for. One might have to clean/lube a chain or shift gears, but all of that is better than having to worry about major transmission work every few thousand miles.

I also don't like the efficiency losses created with the CVTs; at least the systems used in scooters. Honda's DN-01 may have used a more advanced, reliable, and efficient system; maybe something like Nissan uses in cars; but the CVTs used in scooters requires regular transmission work. What other transmission requires regular transmission work every few thousand miles?

...does Honda recommend checking the oil with it canted to the left side? or is someone supposed to hold it for you whilst you check the oil and other fluids?
I don't know what Honda recommends, but on one of the scooter forums, I've read where some owners will carefully lean (and stabilize) their scooters against a garage wall. My Vespa has a center stand, but one of the legs gets in the way when changing the oil, so I use this from Harbor Freight...

Attachments

• mc stand.jpg
    mc stand.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 252
Back