• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

New GPS mount

DirtFlier

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
For several years I was using a clamp-on, RAM ball on the left side but it always bothered me because of the closeness to the parking brake handle. Looking at the Madstad mounts, I was sure I could utilize the clamp/adjustment bolts to secure a homemade GPS mount. I made tabs for each side that utilized the Madstad fasteners and added rubber grommets to help shock absorption. The steel used for the side mounts and also the U-shaped piece that holds the GPS is 22 gauge and seems adequate for the job. I tried it yesterday and it seems completely natural to have it up front and in no way did it seem to block vision to the front or to the instrument panel.

After that initial ride I had to adjust the angle of the GPS to reduce glare and will try it again today. I already had alternate holes on top to allow the angle to be changed. :)

New GPS mount for NC.JPG

Last edited:
Your's looks very professional. I used a round bar between the brackets based on lue42's post here:

I think you will really like it there given a little time to get used to it. I bought a similar mount for my VFR which I had to source Europe and wait for but it was worth it. Perfect position for viewing and protected a bit from weather.

F3A75EB0-29C6-47FB-A652-D96432FE0D5C.jpeg

Great position. I use a phone for navigation but have ir mounted in a very similar position between my Madstad windshield mounts. Mine is a bit simpler, I use a Quad Lock on a locking Ram arm. Works great, its in the lower edge of my field of view.

30ZVrQOISuW6evNj8kO2kQ.jpg[img]

So far, I've noticed it's a bit further away then when I had it on the RAM mount on the left side so that makes the on screen lettering smaller! Conversely it's always in my line-of-sight so that's a nice tradeoff. Yesterday, the screen had too much glare so I'll try it again today at a different angle.

ps. I found that working with small nuts/washers up front too often resulted in stuff falling into the gap above the radiator (#$@!@) so I used a old towel clipped to the control cables to cover the tank and that gap. :)

Great position. I use a phone for navigation but have ir mounted in a very similar position between my Madstad windshield mounts. Mine is a bit simpler, I use a Quad Lock on a locking Ram arm. Works great, its in the lower edge of my field of view.

30ZVrQOISuW6evNj8kO2kQ.jpg[img]
Hey, this looks great. I can't tell from the photo--where/how do you have the Ram arm attached to the Madstad bracket? Did you drill a custom hole?

Back