• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

New-ish member from South Carolina

PeteWolfgang

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all, long time lurker, but finally decided to join up. I have a 2014 NC700X, with SHAD side cases, Honda Center Stand, Honda Rear Rack with Honda Top Case, Puig windshield, Puig rear hugger, Puig front fender extender, and SHAD Comfort Saddle. I'm the second owner, bought it used in 2016, and have about 16K mies total. Haven't taken any major road trips yet, maybe next year (thank you COVID-19). When the weather is nice, I do commute to work on it. I've been riding since 1977, and have owned several bikes over the years. I really like the NC700X, more comfortable and agile than I expected. Don't anticipate getting rid of it anytime soon, this one is a keeper. Maintenance is a breeze on this scoot! Since this quarantine has kept me home more than usual, and the weather is nice down here, I diol all my own maintenance. I'm pretty sure I did the first Valve check/adjustment. Screw and nut, is so much easier than my Kawasaki was with its shim over bucket. I will say, the hardest part was getting that dang electric connector separated from the fan! Along with the valves, I changed coolant, oil/filter, brake fluid, chain clean/lube, and a good wash/wax.

I have noticed that the chain is crap, any recommendations on new chain/sprockets brand wise? I keep my bike on a battery tender, but have noticed there's a little less omph when starting now, I'm guessing the battery is finally losing the battle (it is the original, 6-years old). Thoughts on Lithium versus AGM? I know I'd need a new battery tender for the Lithium battery. Any thoughts on replacement battery?

Thanks for allowing me membership! Pete1A6221D2-1BD8-4283-94C3-471703BF123F.jpeg

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum!
I can’t really speak to your chain question, my 2013 only has 8k miles on it , and chain is in good shape. I did add a manual Oiler to keep it that way. Took about an hour to install, well with it. It’s my first bike with a chain in 40 years .
Battery; I did quite a bit of research on this before replacing my last battery ( 2013 ST1300, same battery as the NC), and decided to stick with the AGM battery. I use a Battery Minder, which desulphates as well as charging. My ST battery was a cheap Scorpion and lasted 7 years - it still turned the bike over, but I was doing a long ride, and wanted to have a fresh one for that . My advice would be to get a reasonably priced AGM from Chromebattery.com, and get a Battery Minder to keep it healthy .
If you’re down in the NW Ga area , let me know, we’ll cruise the mountains!
Ride safe !

Klap

Welcome aboard Pete. When I replaced the stock sprockets/chain on Skookum, I bought a combo pkg with sprockets and chain from Sprocket Center. I stayed with the stock tooth counts and selected a DID x-ring chain with rivet-style masterlink. I think I paid around $130. I was happy with the hardware and the price.
>T
PS.. +1 on what Klap said. I would stick with an agm battery...

Back