• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

New member from SW Ohio

the Ferret

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all,

Just traded my 2018 FJR in on a 2021 NC750X DCT. Pick it up as soon as they are released here late May, early June?

Soon to be 71 year old munchkin with some medical issues, but don't want to give up riding. It's time to go a little lighter. I also ride a Honda CB1100 DLX. Been a daily rider since 1965 (rode 350 days and 21,000 miles last year). Wife and I have ridden to 42 US states, 2 provinces of Canada and 5 countries in Europe. At 69 with a hip and two knee replacements, she told me she thinks she is finally done touring so I don't need a 2 up touring bike any longer. The NC is slated to be my daily local rider. At this point the CB 1100 with soft luggage will get called upon to take some yearly out of state trips with my son, brother, and son's FIL (who btw rides a 2019 NC750X std shift model) unless I find the NC capable for those too.

Here to learn about the nuances of the NC and particularly the DCT.

Forum was recommended to me by dduelin who I know from the ST-Owners group (put 110,000 miles on one of those before getting the FJR). Thanks for the tip Dave

The Ferret (Mickey)

My circumstances aren't that different than yours.
I went from a Honda Goldwing F6B to a '20 NC750X DCT.
I couldn't be happier!
Welcome, and enjoy.

I do touring on my 700. In the beforetimes my wife and I rode to Ashland, Oregon every year for the shakespeare festival. We would both prefer something like the FJR or ST1300, or even a Goldwing but we're not in the right place for as many bikes as I already have.

Solo touring is a lot easier. I've done the saddlesore 1000, lots of moto camping, and many multiday trips. The lack of cruise control and chain maintenance are the biggest drags on the experience.

Also having to fuel up when your buddies do instead of when your bike needs it can be a real pain. For them. I always tell them when I'm getting ~70-71mpg or better

Janus, yea it's an in my head problem rather than a bike problem. I have ridden liter bikes since 1977 and "in my head" it just doesn't seem possible to tour on something that has less than 60 hp. I'm hoping it proves me wrong.

it just doesn't seem possible to tour on something that has less than 60 hp.
I used my NC to travel from Ohio to Oregon and back. It never let me down but did leave me wanting more. Two examples are, make sure you have enough road to complete your passes and be aware that, at least on mine, the NC's fantastic fuel mileage will drop to the lower 50's if sustained rpm's are over 4K.

Ferret, I did a butt burner 1054 miles in 17 hours on my 2013 NC700x....all interstate, cruising at 74-75mph with plenty of oomph to pass cars when needed...during the summer, I ride 6-8 hours on Saturday and Sundays....sometimes 400+ mile treks to the Dragon....welcome from south central Indiana (Scottsburg area)...

... it just doesn't seem possible to tour on something that has less than 60 hp. I'm hoping it proves me wrong.
Wife and I took ours on the Great Lakes Circle Route in 2019. Planned to do Route 66 last year but Covid delayed us, then a 2.5 month old baby showed up on our doorstep as an emergency foster placement so those two things curtailed our plans for taking the NCx's to California. Yesterday the court just extended his stay with us, he is now 13 months old and looks like we get to keep him at least until late summer/early fall. So no looks like our Route 66 trip is delayed again. But if you accessorize it with touring in mind it is very capable of making long hauls.

Wife and I took ours on the Great Lakes Circle Route in 2019. Planned to do Route 66 last year but Covid delayed us, then a 2.5 month old baby showed up on our doorstep as an emergency foster placement so those two things curtailed our plans for taking the NCx's to California. Yesterday the court just extended his stay with us, he is now 13 months old and looks like we get to keep him at least until late summer/early fall. So no looks like our Route 66 trip is delayed again. But if you accessorize it with touring in mind it is very capable of making long hauls.

When I retired in 2013 one of my best riding buddies and I decided to take a trip. He said he always wanted to ride RT 66 and I said I always wanted to dip a toe in the Pacific Ocean. We started planning. So in June 2014 we took off road to St Louis and picked up 66 and rode it as best we could to San Louis Obispo Cal. We then headed up the coast on PCH where I stopped and dipped my toe in the pacific at Monterey. Then up the coast to San Fran then back east over to Pikes Peak. Then to the Bonneville Salt Flats then on back to home. 5500 miles in 11 days. It was an awesome TRIP! Of course I rode an ST 1300 and he rode a V storm 1000.

uieuv4J.jpg

Last edited:
Hello from Columbus! I ride in Sport 2 setting. Drive shifts very quickly, and can/will shift mid corner. As a first time biker I did not like that. Sport 1 is better, but still can shift unexpectedly in Twisties. I find S2 to be a good compromise. I still get 60+ mpg riding it hard, and find that I also utilize the paddle shifters a lot too while in auto modes. Besides that, I find the seat gets rough after an hour or so, and no matter how many windshields/adjustable brackets I try, I think this thing was designed for turbulence.

Hello from Columbus! I ride in Sport 2 setting. Drive shifts very quickly, and can/will shift mid corner. As a first time biker I did not like that. Sport 1 is better, but still can shift unexpectedly in Twisties. I find S2 to be a good compromise. I still get 60+ mpg riding it hard, and find that I also utilize the paddle shifters a lot too while in auto modes. Besides that, I find the seat gets rough after an hour or so, and no matter how many windshields/adjustable brackets I try, I think this thing was designed for turbulence.
Howdy Mayor..my riding buddy I made the California trip with lives in Newark. Probably not very far from you.

You will love the new Bike Ferret and it is good to hear you still ride every day .
miss my CB1100 , remember me now ? ;]

Attachments

• 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 7
Of course I remember you use2b. Been over a year since we've seen you over there. Still quite a few of the old guys left, you should stop back in and say Hi.

here are the only mods i did to my bike . I recall you and i both had a fit over Honda moving the horn button and you bought one off a 2013 for your 2014 CB1100 .
with 50+ years of muscle memory plus still owning old Honda's the button had to be fixed on both of my 2014's. --note the ugly button on the bottom. other than that you will love the best " ole man's motorcycle " ever built .
my exhaust is a $80 knock off but i could not be happier as it sounds and looks great after 3500 miles with no change with its looks or tarnish but the bark may have increased and i love the popping sound on let off. this is a great sounding engine if you decide to let her sing.
my horn is very straight forward and everyone has their own way but this was unused space that just fit and makes the hose very short . the center stand was easy by using the spokes and turning the wheel to pull the spring with rope/etc.
hope this helps and i love this bike

Attachments

• horn.jpg
    horn.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 13
  • DSC00019.jpg
    DSC00019.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 13
  • can.jpg
    can.jpg
    229.7 KB · Views: 15
here are the only mods i did to my bike . I recall you and i both had a fit over Honda moving the horn button and you bought one off a 2013 for your 2014 CB1100 .
with 50+ years of muscle memory plus still owning old Honda's the button had to be fixed on both of my 2014's. --note the ugly button on the bottom. other than that you will love the best " ole man's motorcycle " ever built .
my exhaust is a $80 knock off but i could not be happier as it sounds and looks great after 3500 miles with no change with its looks or tarnish but the bark may have increased and i love the popping sound on let off. this is a great sounding engine if you decide to let her sing.
my horn is very straight forward and everyone has their own way but this was unused space that just fit and makes the hose very short . the center stand was easy by using the spokes and turning the wheel to pull the spring with rope/etc.
hope this helps and i love this bike
Yea, the horn in the middle thing drove me nuts on the 14 CB, since my ST 1300 which I had ridden for 8 years had the turn signal in the middle as did my FJR. Now, I'll probably have to put my 14 switch back on the CB so it will be like the NC and both bikes will be the same lol.

Folks say things like this but our brains have nearly unlimited power to learn new muscle movements with practice and sufficient repetition. I know Ferret rides everyday he can and would have no trouble learning where the horn, turn signal, and downshift button are on any machine. I ride three bikes now all with different control button configurations. Key is riding often and using each control every ride.

Back