• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

New member in Fountain Hills AZ

Motojbj

Reaction score
Visit site
I am a re-entry motorcyclist retired in Arizona. My past riding includes: 99 Iron Butt finisher, riding from Houston to Prudoe Bay Alaska, and touring europe and Mexico. I ran in many enduro rally’s throughout the west. But, at 72, I aged out of the long rides - problem with arthritic hands. But 2 years after liquidating the fleet and getting rid of accumulated gear, I decided to get back on a bike. Selected the nc750x with dct to avoid having to clutch. Also the linked abs brakes will com in handy.

The bike is at the dealer waiting to be picked up after adding a center stand. Now my reason for posting: I want aluminum box side cases and can’t figure out which ones will work on my bike. I have reviewed the forum posts and can’t find a definitive answer. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Also, as fitting out a bike is part of the experience, I know I will be replacing: windscreen, seat, and possibly suspension. As far as grips, I will use a cramp buster for a while and see which throttle lock works best.

So, I don’t post much unless with a question, but I look forward to reading the forum and picking up my bike. See ya on the road.

Welcome. Sounds like you were quite the rider before. Hard to give it up, isnt it?

The 750 DCT is a nice bike which you will enjoy Im sure. Its light weight (relatively), handles well and gets great gas mileage. I find the 270 degree firing order a bit throbby myself which takes some of the pleasure away for me, but others seem to like it. Might take you a bit of getting used to if you are used to controlling a motorcycle with a clutch, but you will adapt soon enough.

Couple of things, with the DCT in gear , any pressure on the throttle moves the bike forward, and you cant just pull in the clutch to disconnect that power, so a cramp buster has to be used with extreme caution.

Just curious. You said you are 74? now, and done with long rides, so why the need for giant aluminum boxes which add weight and make mounting and dismounting more difficult? Do you normally carry a lot of stuff on your rides? More than will fit in the frunk? Maybe you still camp?

Anyhow best of luck with your NC. Ride safe

I am a re-entry motorcyclist retired in Arizona. My past riding includes: 99 Iron Butt finisher, riding from Houston to Prudoe Bay Alaska, and touring europe and Mexico. I ran in many enduro rally’s throughout the west. But, at 72, I aged out of the long rides - problem with arthritic hands. But 2 years after liquidating the fleet and getting rid of accumulated gear, I decided to get back on a bike. Selected the nc750x with dct to avoid having to clutch. Also the linked abs brakes will com in handy.

The bike is at the dealer waiting to be picked up after adding a center stand. Now my reason for posting: I want aluminum box side cases and can’t figure out which ones will work on my bike. I have reviewed the forum posts and can’t find a definitive answer. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Also, as fitting out a bike is part of the experience, I know I will be replacing: windscreen, seat, and possibly suspension. As far as grips, I will use a cramp buster for a while and see which throttle lock works best.

So, I don’t post much unless with a question, but I look forward to reading the forum and picking up my bike. See ya on the road.
Motojbj

Congrats on the new bike. I'm a few years older than you but bought mine for the same reasons. The heavy clutch pull on my Guzzi just got to be too much for me. I've added a center stand, taller factory windshield and have a YSS shock on order. I expected problems with the seat but so far it's working for me. I'm fiddling around with a CrampBuster Throttle Rocker and so far it's seems helpful. No problems with low speed throttle control on u-turns, etc. I'm pretty happy with the bike and hope it will keep me on two wheels for a few more years.

All the best!

John

Thanks for the welcome. To the Ferrett, I need the boxes because I still camp and travel significantly. I am planning a 4 corners ride in th next few months and I need carrying capacity. Side cases have always worked for me as it keeps the center of gravity low. I willl probably keep bike stuff in the frunk: tire repair kit and air compressor, rain gear, registration papers, Glock, etc.

To Jazzmoto, glad to see there is someone older than me keeping riding. Actually, one of my riding buddies is 85 and still riding 500 mile days. Also, he rides a pedal powered bike almost every day. So, he is the one who shamed me into riding again. Plus, I hate not riding. It was my self image that I was a motorcyclist and I never liked being on 4 wheels.

Back to my question: Aluminum boxes fitted to the NC 750X DCT. Any suggestions?

There are several different brands of aluminum cases that will work. Each offers its own rack system.

Hepco & Becker offers at least 3 different aluminum cases.
Givi offers at least 2, probably 3 different aluminum cases.
SW Motech and TUSK both offer aluminum cases. There are other brands offing aluminum cases. Just pick a brand, buy the appropriate mounting rack for the NC750 and be happy. I use Hepco & Becker on my NC750. My wife has Givi on her NC700.

Glad to have you join us. I'm 61, rheumatoid arthritis in both wrists. The DCT works great.

On a side note, I have a friend in Fountain Hills, AZ. She & her husband are California transplants/refugees and love AZ.

Thanks for the replies. I am familiar with the brands of boxes out there. What I need is the specific mounting hardware that willl fit the bike. According to Revzilla, the only one for the 2021 nc750xdct is Shad but the racks are out of stock. Any other suggestions. Anyone who’s mounted boxes on a 2021 bike that can give me the brand and part number? Thanks

Tour & Ride
GIVI
- PLO1192MK PL ONE-FIT MONOKEY Pannier rack
- 1192FZ Rear rack
- 1192KIT (required if no rear rack is used)
All listed as in stock. I ordered my rear rack from them and they are great to deal with.

Some forum members have ordered from Europe vendors due to low US inventory:

Motostorm: https://www.motostorm.it/

Carpimoto: https://www.carpimoto.it/en-US/

Like you, I am re-entering the street motorcycle arena. I’m 68 ( mostly retired) and have an extensive motocross background. Due to some back injuries, I’m no longer willing to case doubles. I recently sold my YZ 450 and I just last week purchased a 2021 750xDCT with 3100 miles on it. Although, in my younger days I rode an XL 600 and a Yamaha RD 350, my motocross passion and first child intervened and I sold my street bikes. Now I am considering an Alaska ride from Phoenix for this summer or possibly next summer. I feel like a complete noob currently and simply want to get some experience riding around Arizona before attempting the marathon Alaska journey. I know I’ll need luggage ( side cases and top case), some kind or gps routing system and ?? and like you am wondering what to get. I’m leaning toward the OEM Honda luggage but want to know more about the cost and advantages/disadvantages of going that route. I’m not averse to considering other options either. So, any information from you or other members of the forum would be welcome.

Like you, I am re-entering the street motorcycle arena. I’m 68 ( mostly retired) and have an extensive motocross background. Due to some back injuries, I’m no longer willing to case doubles. I recently sold my YZ 450 and I just last week purchased a 2021 750xDCT with 3100 miles on it. Although, in my younger days I rode an XL 600 and a Yamaha RD 350, my motocross passion and first child intervened and I sold my street bikes. Now I am considering an Alaska ride from Phoenix for this summer or possibly next summer. I feel like a complete noob currently and simply want to get some experience riding around Arizona before attempting the marathon Alaska journey. I know I’ll need luggage ( side cases and top case), some kind or gps routing system and ?? and like you am wondering what to get. I’m leaning toward the OEM Honda luggage but want to know more about the cost and advantages/disadvantages of going that route. I’m not averse to considering other options either. So, any information from you or other members of the forum would be welcome.
Prepping for an Alaska trip is a subject for a whole ‘nother thread. Luggage needs will depend on whether you do hotels or also plan to camp. The NC has a relatively small fuel tank. On the Alaska Highway you can usually buy fuel every 100 miles or so. For piece of mind in case a station is closed or out of fuel, I highly recommend you consider a way to carry extra fuel, maybe in a 1 gallon RotopaX can.

That fuel storage method may play into what type luggage you buy. I personally do not like the (quite pricey) OEM luggage, but some others do. There are many good aftermarket options. It’s a complex decision you’ll want to spend some time on.

Welcome to the forum!

Prepping for an Alaska trip is a subject for a whole ‘nother thread. Luggage needs will depend on whether you do hotels or also plan to camp. The NC has a relatively small fuel tank. On the Alaska Highway you can usually buy fuel every 100 miles or so. For piece of mind in case a station is closed or out of fuel, I highly recommend you consider a way to carry extra fuel, maybe in a 1 gallon RotopaX can.

That fuel storage method may play into what type luggage you buy. I personally do not like the (quite pricey) OEM luggage, but some others do. There are many good aftermarket options. It’s a complex decision you’ll want to spend some time on.

Welcome to the forum!
Thanks for advice on gas and how rotopax need to be considered in the type of luggage. As far as camping- maybe but my preference is to motel it as much as possible. The Alaska trip is a bucket list kind of thing to me. I have the time and the inclination to do something that not many have ( obviously you’re an exception and a trove of information and good tips I may not have considered or know about). Fountain Hills is not far from me in Ahwatukee. Short trips like Payson, then Sedona to Prescott then back home is a trip I did on a rental Yamaha T7 which confirmed to me that touring basically on back roads is definitely something I wanted to do. I got lucky on Craigslist and saw a 2021 750xDCT with super low miles and I jumped on it and now I’m one step closer to my eventual goal Btw, I also want to enjoy the journey. I miss the dirt bike and have no intention of trying to use my pristine 750x to recapture any lost memories. I really like the idea of backroads ( freeway a sometime necessary evil) because I think you really experience the terrain and see and smell and hear things you just don’t get in the car bubble that I’m used to. My dirt aspirations are only a few dirt roads when necessary as I still think piloting a 500 pound motorcycle with the decent but short travel suspension to be more hazardous than sticking to reasonably good asphalt. At least at this point in my cycle career. I look forward to talking to you and maybe a ride sometime.

Thanks for advice on gas and how rotopax need to be considered in the type of luggage. As far as camping- maybe but my preference is to motel it as much as possible. The Alaska trip is a bucket list kind of thing to me. I have the time and the inclination to do something that not many have ( obviously you’re an exception and a trove of information and good tips I may not have considered or know about). Fountain Hills is not far from me in Ahwatukee. Short trips like Payson, then Sedona to Prescott then back home is a trip I did on a rental Yamaha T7 which confirmed to me that touring basically on back roads is definitely something I wanted to do. I got lucky on Craigslist and saw a 2021 750xDCT with super low miles and I jumped on it and now I’m one step closer to my eventual goal Btw, I also want to enjoy the journey. I miss the dirt bike and have no intention of trying to use my pristine 750x to recapture any lost memories. I really like the idea of backroads ( freeway a sometime necessary evil) because I think you really experience the terrain and see and smell and hear things you just don’t get in the car bubble that I’m used to. My dirt aspirations are only a few dirt roads when necessary as I still think piloting a 500 pound motorcycle with the decent but short travel suspension to be more hazardous than sticking to reasonably good asphalt. At least at this point in my cycle career. I look forward to talking to you and maybe a ride sometime.
A number of folks on this forum have done trips to Alaska. When you want to do some serious planning and modifying, start a thread on the Touring and Traveling and/or the NC750X Modifications subforums and I’m sure you’ll get lots of advice. I hope you get to mark an Alaska ride off your bucket list. It’s a pretty amazing trip.

I, too, lean toward aftermarket racks because you have many more options available ... pannier size, material, configuration (i.e. top or side opening) etc. and some mfr's make a rack that's easily removed for when it's not needed. My choice for my 2018 DCT was Hepco & Becker, mainly because I'd already had a couple of small panniers configured to fit the H&B rack mounting ring. I was also able to later find a used set of their large panniers that fit, for cheap (even if they did have a KTM logo molded in). I suspect other mfrs are good too but I've got no regrets.

If you do do an Alaska trip, think REAL hard about doing one of the legs of the trip on the Alaska ferry (I think southbound is marginally better but ymmv). And if you do that, you can camp on deck instead of getting a cabin (limited avails and moderately hi $) or sleeping in a deck chair -- if so, you'll wanna have a tent for privacy + sleeping bag & pad and be sure to stake out your spot as soon as you get on board. Oh, & I second the notion of carrying a rotopax or some such, even if only for peace of mind.

I'm pretty familiar with rides in the Prescott area so gimme a holler if you're interested in some ride-along companionship or helpful hints.

I, too, lean toward aftermarket racks because you have many more options available ... pannier size, material, configuration (i.e. top or side opening) etc. and some mfr's make a rack that's easily removed for when it's not needed. My choice for my 2018 DCT was Hepco & Becker, mainly because I'd already had a couple of small panniers configured to fit the H&B rack mounting ring. I was also able to later find a used set of their large panniers that fit, for cheap (even if they did have a KTM logo molded in). I suspect other mfrs are good too but I've got no regrets.

If you do do an Alaska trip, think REAL hard about doing one of the legs of the trip on the Alaska ferry (I think southbound is marginally better but ymmv). And if you do that, you can camp on deck instead of getting a cabin (limited avails and moderately hi $) or sleeping in a deck chair -- if so, you'll wanna have a tent for privacy + sleeping bag & pad and be sure to stake out your spot as soon as you get on board. Oh, & I second the notion of carrying a rotopax or some such, even if only for peace of mind.

I'm pretty familiar with rides in the Prescott area so gimme a holler if you're interested in some ride-along companionship or helpful hints.
I may contact you in the future for a ride around the Prescott area. Thanks.

Hepco and Becker “C” mounts look good and work well. I’m 71, been riding since ‘67 and was looking forward to several more years up on two, but a recent cardiac issue may derail that. . DCT is “nice” but the bike works too hard to get in higher gears. Try the Sport modes and it’s a lot more fun to ride

Motojbj,
I purchased the same bike and did not know what you meant by “linked abs brakes”. Could you enlighten me or anyone else who knows what this is?

My 2013 NC700S has linked brakes. On my model, when you press the rear brake pedal it applies the rear brakes and one of the pistons on the front brake.

Back