• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

New member welcome thread..

I would say try to get a test ride of the NC and see if you click with it's unique low rpm easy going character. Specs, reviews, and all of the research that goes into a bike is great, but it is putting your behind in the saddle and seeing how you and the bike like each other is where things change or gel. For many people who have ridden high RPM bikes they may or may not like the NC's mannerisms. For some it just works and is a delight.

I had the same hang up when I was looking at the NC about the lack of ABS on the manual. At the time I wasn't sure I trusted the DCT for the same reasons stated. Complicated gizmo's are questionable in my mind over the long haul. However some time has passed and the DCT does seem to be holding up pretty well for most people that I have seen talk about their bikes. If I had it to do over again I would not rule out the DCT on a motorcycle. I did rule it out when I bought my NC and decided to live with the fact it does not have ABS on the manual just to avoid the possible hassles over time of DCT issues. Not a problem at all as I really enjoy this bike and have had nothing but good experiences so far with it other than the farkling to get the bike the way I want it for my own comfort. Everyone is different and one size does not fit all. So I would say as part of any investigation to go out and see if you can get a ride on these bikes you are interested in to ensure they are really in your short list for real. I don't think I would rule out the DCT however. Give it a try and see what you think. The DCT is in a variety of machines now and appears to be very nice and I would consider one on my next bike. The NC is a different kind of bike in my mind due to it's low rev power plant and it just clicks with me personally. YMMV

Exactly my feelings. The newly improved 2019 CB500X is also on my short list. Yamaha Tenere 700, too, if I decide to wait more than a year and go new, not used. I’d need the extra time to save up my pennies, anyway. Possibly a Suzuki V-Strom 650. I would have to try one.

Eliminated from my list so far: Triumph Tiger 800 (weird annoying engine noise), Kawasaki Versys (I don’t like high-RPM power). No KTM ever made it on my list.

It’s still early in my research phase, however, so things could change. Probably I’ll bounce back and forth in my leanings as time goes by. I find that learning and anticipating are some of the most enjoyable parts of buying. No hurry; I might just do some lighter-weight adventuring on my KLX next year and decide after I gain that experience.

P.S.- One thing I need to check out is seat height on the CB500X. 35” on my KLX250S is perfect for me, flat footed after the suspension compresses with my weight. The CB500X might be too small.

Yes, the CB500X could be too cramped for your body size. I guess you’d have to try one on for size.

Back on the DCT vs. manual choice: The DCT works OK. You give up your clutch, which is used for other things besides shifting, but either the DCT or the manual get you where you’re going. I could live with either one, but I just plain enjoy riding the manual better. I have DCT in my car, and it works well. I even own automatic CVT scooters, and I like them, too. I personally believe that I can shift a manual transmission motorcycle just as smoothly as the DCT can shift, and that I can operate a manual transmission using no conscious thought whatsoever, but other people say that I’m wrong, so I’ve quit telling people that. :).

What I absolutely can’t have is greater chances of failure because of the increased complexity of the DCT vs the manual on a motorcycle. The biggest concern I have is Honda’s handling of failure situations. I’ve seen first hand what problems it can cause. I was riding a CRF250L Rally alongside a friend who was on an Africa Twin DCT. We were on a remote mountain trail and his rear wheel speed sensor failed. Making a long story shorter, the way Honda engineering dealt with that situation was to essentially disable the DCT bike and strand the rider. Honda could have implemented a plan B/get home mode and ran the transmission normally using alternate sensors like maybe the one on the front wheel, or used default failure-mode programming. But no, it’s tow truck time. I’ve also read about all the other DCT failure types here on the forum and it seems for the most part, a DCT failure renders the bike unusable, wherever you might happen to be. That’s just not the way I roll. Simple is better.

By the way Dellaster, welcome to the forum! I admire that you’re volunteering at the National Park. That’s really cool. Stay in touch and let us know what bike you might eventually buy.

Last edited:
Hi everyone. I’m currently in the research phase for my next bike and the NC-X is on my short list. Moto background: first ride was a 50cc moped as a tween, young adulthood brought a Suzuki 500 2-stroke then a BMW R90/6 full fairing bike. After a 30-something year gap I bought a Kawasaki KLX250S which I still ride seven years and 21k miles later. Fully retired now at 62, looking to do some lengthy adventure touring (USA & Canada) while I still can.

As mentioned, the Honda NC700X/750X is on my short list. There are a lot of things I like, going by reviews and specs. I have yet to see one in person. One thing that may knock it out of contention is that in the US you need to get the DCT if you want ABS. I really want ABS on my next bike. The DCT? Not so much, not after reading of shift pins coming loose and Honda not owning up to the problem, among other things (I hate, HATE complicated vehicle systems deciding to stall me or go into limp mode if everything isn’t 100%, even if it’s just a dirty mass air sensor).

Due to that, a good used BMW F700GS has moved into my top pick slot, for now. But I do like this forum. And things might change by the time I’m ready to get serious about a purchase (not before November since I’m a volunteer at the Grand Canyon NP till late October). So I’ll likely be checking in here for a while.

Welcome Dellaster...I have a manual 2013 NC700x (had the option to purchase a dct, but I like using a clutch) and I keep a 2009 KLX250SF in storage in Florida (I purchased new in 2011)..that klx250sf is a fun, light, nimble bike (even though a 2x4 board would be a more comfortable seat-riders on here complain about the stock NC700/750 seat...they need to ride the klx seat-15 minutes on that seat and my butt bone is screaming-I stand a lot on the little klx250sf when riding)...you could also add the BMW g650gs to your list...the specs on it are comparable with the NC700x (I owned one but traded it in for the NC700X just because after 33,000 miles in 3.5 years, I got tired of hearing a thumper (it is a 650cc single cylinder) at Interstate speeds-came to that conclusion on a ride back from Florida-to Indiana-on I-24 between Chattanooga and Nashville TN).

What I absolutely can’t have is greater chances of failure because of the increased complexity of the DCT vs the manual on a motorcycle. The biggest problem I have is Honda’s handling of failure situations. I’ve seen first hand what problems it can cause. I was riding a CRF250L Rally alongside a friend who was on an Africa Twin DCT. We were on a remote mountain trail and his rear wheel speed sensor failed. Making a long story shorter, the way Honda engineering dealt with that situation was to essentially disable the DCT bike and strand the rider. Honda could have implemented a plan B/get home mode and ran the transmission normally using alternate sensors like maybe the one on the front wheel, or used default failure-mode programming. But no, it’s tow truck time. I’ve also read about all the other DCT failure types here on the forum and it seems for the most part, a DCT failure renders the bike unusable, wherever you might happen to be. That’s just not the way I roll. Simple is better.

By the way Dellaster, welcome to the forum! I admire that you’re volunteering at the National Park. That’s really cool. Stay in touch and let us know what bike you might eventually buy.
You nailed it. Even if the chances of failure are very low, the consequences of failure are too severe to be acceptable to me. Worrying about it, having that nagging possibility in the background, would eat into the enjoyment of my adventure.

I’ve been semi-retired for over eight years, full-time traveling in a motor home while freelancing on the internet and doing the odd seasonal job, plus some fully volunteer gigs as campground host for the past five of those years. I spend a lot of time alone way out in the boondocks camping in national forests, BLM land, etc. I love the life. Now that I’m fully retired I want to do more of the same on motorcycle, with access to places my wimpy low-clearance motor home can never reach, distances I wouldn’t want to drive using the thirsty 13 mpg(hwy) pig, plus a desire for the sheer joy of two-wheel freedom. Getting stranded by a technical failure like you described would be intolerable and downright dangerous at times.

Thanks for the welcome. This is a nice forum with helpful, friendly people, which is a plus added to the NC-X score.

. . .

I’ve been semi-retired for over eight years, full-time traveling in a motor home while freelancing on the internet and doing the odd seasonal job, plus some fully volunteer gigs as campground host for the past five of those years. I spend a lot of time alone way out in the boondocks camping in national forests, BLM land, etc. I love the life. Now that I’m fully retired I want to do more of the same on motorcycle, with access to places my wimpy low-clearance motor home can never reach, distances I wouldn’t want to drive using the thirsty 13 mpg(hwy) pig, plus a desire for the sheer joy of two-wheel freedom. Getting stranded by a technical failure like you described would be intolerable and downright dangerous at times.

Thanks for the welcome. This is a nice forum with helpful, friendly people, which is a plus added to the NC-X score.

13 mpg?! Must be a diesel. I’m happy getting 9 mpg with my gas motorhome.

Well even if if you don’t buy an NC-X, you’re always welcome to visit this forum!

Last edited:
13 mpg?! Must be a diesel. I’m happy getting 9 mpg with my gas motorhome.

Well even if if you don’t buy an NC-X, you’re always welcome to visit this forum!
I did mention it’s wimpy. Winnebago built this 22-footer on a V6 Eurovan non-diesel chassis. Somewhat decent fuel economy (on a flat, with no headwind) is one of the few advantages. I was getting more like 15 mpg average before I added the KLX to a lift in the rear. ;)

You nailed it. Even if the chances of failure are very low, the consequences of failure are too severe to be acceptable to me. Worrying about it, having that nagging possibility in the background, would eat into the enjoyment of my adventure.

If your primary goal is to have an offroad capable remote camp-spot finder, you may want to look at a bike geared a little more toward offroading in its design. The NC, while capable on moderate trails and loose terrain roads with the right tires, it isn't designed for the more gnarly trail riding as say the Africa Twin, or maybe even some of those other bikes you mentioned. That said, there are some YouTube vids of guys taking NC's on some fairly nasty trails and it seems to do ok.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

If your primary goal is to have an offroad capable remote camp-spot finder, you may want to look at a bike geared a little more toward offroading in its design. The NC, while capable on moderate trails and loose terrain roads with the right tires, it isn't designed for the more gnarly trail riding as say the Africa Twin, or maybe even some of those other bikes you mentioned. That said, there are some YouTube vids of guys taking NC's on some fairly nasty trails and it seems to do ok.

I never even take my KLX250S on gnarly off-road stuff. I’m solo, so any potential for dangerous crashes is a no-no. I leave that to youngsters who believe they’re invulnerable & immortal. I keep strictly to two-track forest roads that would be no issue for a bike like the NC-X.

To clarify, “access to places my wimpy low-clearance motor home can never reach” includes any road grade steeper than 6%—the 2.8l VR6 can’t pull 8,000lbs up roads more tough, regardless of nice pavement, for very long; milder climbs that are long, slow & twisty (its transmission overheats); or dirt/gravel roads that a 4” clearance and awful suspension can’t handle or the non-traction control front wheel drive can’t grip.

Sure, buying a different, more capable RV rig is an alternative option. And I probably will do that eventually. But right now I’m healthy and physically capable of moderate, safe, solo motorcycle adventuring so I want to pursue that dream while my heath allows it. I’m not getting younger, alas.

Haha. [emoji4] I envy your problems. Good luck with retirement, RVing, and riding!

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Ah. In that case, NC should handle all your offroad needs Lol

Indeed. I use 80/20 tires on my 250 dual sport and I think 90/10 might be better for me. I greatly enjoy paved road, especially mountain twisties. Dirt? Gravel? It’s what I need to get past to where I want to be. The KLX250S is a shopping utility bike and transport to trailheads where the real fun begins on day hikes. It’s not much fun on highways.

Haha. [emoji4] I envy your problems. Good luck with retirement, RVing, and riding!

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
Yeah, first world problems. I’m quite grateful to be in my situation. My needs and pleasures are relatively frugal by American standards, and I have my health. :)

Indeed. I use 80/20 tires on my 250 dual sport and I think 90/10 might be better for me. I greatly enjoy paved road, especially mountain twisties. Dirt? Gravel? It’s what I need to get past to where I want to be. The KLX250S is a shopping utility bike and transport to trailheads where the real fun begins on day hikes. It’s not much fun on highways.

Yeah, first world problems. I’m quite grateful to be in my situation. My needs and pleasures are relatively frugal by American standards, and I have my health. :)
I then can confirm the NC handles the twisties extremely well. I have a sportbike / trackday background and was pleasantly surprised with the NC's handling on the road. I am currently collecting gear to get back into trackdays on it. Won't be as fast as I was on my old ZX10R, but it will still be fun! Go sit on and possibly test drive an NC if possible. You will probably know by sitting on it if it's for you or not. I wish they had more power, just because of the type riding I like to do most, but given my circumstances I can't complain. The only other option for me would be the VFR1200X with dct trans, but the dct model weighs in around 630 lbs, around 150 lbs heavier than the NC. And thats not to mention a leftover 2017 model brand new costs over 3x what I paid for my NC used. I almost pulled trigger on the Vfr1200x a few weeks ago but decided to scratch that itch by taking the NC to the track and seeing how that goes.

...and a hearty welcome to the ride from northern IDAHO Dell..!! I am semi-retired(54) and am looking forward to fully retiring in about 6 years. I ride my NC all over the western half of the states and now parts of Canada. Be patient and keep checking the local paper there and Craig's List. You will not always, but often times, find a great deal on a nice low mile NC. Be sure to test ride one first, then don't be afraid to fly somewhere and ride her back home! :{)

Last edited:
My thanks to everyone for the good advice and insights. It’s a shame, but because I desire ABS and not DCT, the US NC-X isn’t going to work out for me. There’s not much point in test driving unless I want to relent on one of the those two things, and I don’t. Now if Honda offers a manual NC for 2020 with ABS option (like in the rest of the world) that will change things, of course.

670cc’s recommendation of the CB500X ABS got me looking again. It appears that the 2019 model is finally showing up at dealers in quantity. Its replacement of the 17” front wheel with a 19” means the seat height is up nearly an inch, now 32.7”, so it may not be too cramped for my size (5’10, 32” inseam, the KLX 35” seat is perfect when the suspension settles under my 180-ish lbs). I need to sit on one. It’s looking to be the sweet spot bike for my needs, wants, and riding style. Is it my unicorn? We’ll see. And since I will likely have to buy new and self-farkle it, this isn’t going to happen till maybe the end of next summer. I need to save up pennies since I don’t do debt. In the meantime I’ll service my KLX and do some adventuring in the slow lane, so to speak. ;)

Anything in the 32+ seat height should be perfectly fine for someone who is 5'11" with 32 inseam. I'm 6'1" with 34 inseam and the NC at stock height is perfect for me.

I hope not having abs is going to burn me if i want to try to commute year round with this. I guess I just need to test drive one (2015) and see if the 5k out the door for a showroom model gets me, wasn't really considering a new bike...

Hi, I'm a new member.
I recently purchased a 2012 nc700x with about 25k miles for $2800. I hope to be touring to Denver with it in September.

IMG_5674.jpg

IMG_5675.jpg
Honda sure does like their fasteners.

To do:
Fork service (perished dust seals) fork gators
Electrical port installs
Ergo improvements (bar risers?)
Valve check

Where do I go for the NC pro-tips? What can I over maintain? :)

Anyone WTB a KLR?:p

Last edited:
Man that is a deal for 2 bros exhaust, oem luggage, and corbin seat, even with the miles. Welcome to the forum. There are youtube vids on how to do most maintenance, even one on valve clearance check.

Back