• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

New member welcome thread..

Welcome, Halllzy! We’re glad you’re here. I think you'll find a lot of info on this forum. It‘s been on-going for about 8 years now.

As for a “best oil” thread, we try to quickly exterminate those dreaded threads.
Wull axshually the best oil is

...fresh oil :D

This forum has saved me thousands of dollars and taught me entirely new heights of frustration in the garage. Pretty good!

Good morning fellow NC700X'ers!

I just purchased mine last week from a guy that bought it new and only put 1,100 miles on it! Crazy! I love these bikes and was tickled to get such a great deal on mine. I look forward to talking to some of you and learning more about these bikes. One of the first things I may do is change the tires as they are the original ones. While they look brand new, (again, only 1,100 miles,) I've read that you should get new tires every 5 years as the compound starts breaking down.

I'll search for a tire thread but look forward to seeing what everyone puts on theirs. I was thinking of putting some adventure tires on with a littler more aggressive tread on them rather than the racing slick looking tires that are on there now.

Anyway, thanks for having me!

. . .
While they look brand new, (again, only 1,100 miles,) I've read that you should get new tires every 5 years as the compound starts breaking down.

I'll search for a tire thread but look forward to seeing what everyone puts on theirs.
. . .
WELCOME

I think that is more of a marketing thing to sell tires than much else. Is a 6 year old tire dangerous but a 5 year old tire is fine? Absolutely not.

If I was you, and my advice is worth exactly what you are paying for it, I would ride the bike for the whole season and then look at new tires when you are putting it away for the winter. Or, if winters are mild enough there to ride year around, then buy your bike a Christmas present.

2 reasons for my advice.

1 - the tires are probably fine and why waste the $$$ by getting rid of good tires.
2 - figure out your riding style and where you take the bike. Michelin Road 5 seems to be a favorite ROAD tire, but Shinko 705 tires seem to be common for those who run these bikes down dirt roads. There are other common favorites but those 2 stand out as favored tires.

WELCOME

I think that is more of a marketing thing to sell tires than much else. Is a 6 year old tire dangerous but a 5 year old tire is fine? Absolutely not.

If I was you, and my advice is worth exactly what you are paying for it, I would ride the bike for the whole season and then look at new tires when you are putting it away for the winter. Or, if winters are mild enough there to ride year around, then buy your bike a Christmas present.

2 reasons for my advice.

1 - the tires are probably fine and why waste the $$$ by getting rid of good tires.
2 - figure out your riding style and where you take the bike. Michelin Road 5 seems to be a favorite ROAD tire, but Shinko 705 tires seem to be common for those who run these bikes down dirt roads. There are other common favorites but those 2 stand out as favored tires.

Thank you for your feedback and message in general. Nice to meet fellow riders but esp those that ride the exact machine you are on, ( even more specific information.)

I've never had adventure tires on a street bike. They certainly look cool but wondered how they felt on the road. The feel and ride is of course most important. If I went adventure tire I was going to get either the Skinko 705 or the Avon Trailriders. Otherwise I think I will stick with the Michelin Road 5.

Thanks again. I appreciate it.

If you're willing to tolerate flat spots like me, you could get 18k miles out of the Michelin Road 5 rubbers. Something to consider

Welcome to the forum folks!

I just purchased mine last week from a guy that bought it new and only put 1,100 miles on it! Crazy! I love these bikes and was tickled to get such a great deal on mine. I look forward to talking to some of you and learning more about these bikes. One of the first things I may do is change the tires as they are the original ones. While they look brand new, (again, only 1,100 miles,) I've read that you should get new tires every 5 years as the compound starts breaking down.

I'll search for a tire thread but look forward to seeing what everyone puts on theirs. I was thinking of putting some adventure tires on with a littler more aggressive tread on them rather than the racing slick looking tires that are on there now.

Historically tire manufacturers recommended to replace tires at 5 years regardless of miles.
Currently, most now recommend replacement at 10 years, regardless of miles. This is total time since manufacture, not how long they have been installed.
It's similar to motor oil, where car manufacturers went from 3000 miles/3 months to more like 7000/1 year sort of intervals.
Progress happens.

Michelin quote:

3. Tires show signs of aging
It is difficult to predict a tire's lifespan because it bears no relation to its manufacturing date. Tires that have never been used, or have only been used infrequently, may still show signs of aging. Many factors can affect their lifespan: weather conditions, storage and usage conditions, load, speed, tire pressure, maintenance, riding style, and so on.

Michelin recommends that all riders regularly spend some time inspecting their tires to pick up on any external signs of aging or wear, such as deformations or cracks in the tread, on the shoulders or sides.
You should also have your tires checked by a professional who can assess if they should be replaced or not.

The 5 year test… before it's too late!

After 5 years or more of use, tires should be examined every year by a professional mechanic. If the tires need to be changed, follow the manufacturer's recommendations with regard to replacing original components. As a precaution, all tires that have not been replaced after ten years should be changed, even if they appear to be in a generally good condition and have not reached their tread wear limit.

Source

Hi All,

My name is Jochen and I'm from Holland.

I have ridden a lot of offroad on bigger bikes. Mostly the old africa Twin, some hondas and a KTM 640 Adventure. SInce 3 years I had a NC 700x end have ridden 40.000km on it.

I have always liked my NC700X but decided I needed more horsepower, so I recently upgraded to an NC750X ;-P

I was looking for an Africa Twin, but it would cost 4000 euros more and I would not use the bike where it is designed for. My offroad days are far over now (drove into barbed wire, brrr). Also I really liked the steering on the NC700. I have no shameedges (?!!??!) anymore to indicate how great it will steer ;-) In Holland we call it "Schaamrandjes", its the outside of your tyre you have never ridden on.

Greetings

Welcome. I beg to differ. The bikes that are designed to go off-road don't have that much in common with the Africa Twin. They weigh a lot less ; }

Seriously, the AT is a good pavement machine, though it doesn't have the fuel economy of the NC700X.

Hi All,

My name is Jochen and I'm from Holland.
[...]
In Holland we call it "Schaamrandjes", its the outside of your tyre you have never ridden on.

Greetings
Greetings Jochen!

Here in yankee America we call those "chicken strips"
I've also heard them called "sanity strips", but where's the fun in that?

Welcome, bienvenue, wilkomen!

I have sport tires on mine.

Hi
my name is Dave from the U.K.
I’ve had many bikes over the years at present I have a Ducati Scrambler 1100. Tomorrow I collect my NC 750x DCT it’s a 2016 with 18k miles. The reason for buying the bike is I have had major surgery and I have been left with problems to my left leg and foot, hence the auto gearbox. Looking forward to joining in on the forum.
D989E908-98A1-47D7-956E-7380192484EE.jpeg

Hi
my name is Dave from the U.K.
I’ve had many bikes over the years at present I have a Ducati Scrambler 1100. Tomorrow I collect my NC 750x DCT it’s a 2016 with 18k miles. The reason for buying the bike is I have had major surgery and I have been left with problems to my left leg and foot, hence the auto gearbox. Looking forward to joining in on the forum.
View attachment 42286
Welcome aboard! I am also a new member. Good to have you. That is a great looking bike, but glad you have the Honda.

Hello everyone, I just recently acquired a 2014 NC700X with 2100 miles on it. I'm in Corpus Christi, TX. Looking forward to the long haul with this bike! (Literally). I come from riding a 2007 Suzuki DR200SE so this is a huge upgrade. Hopefully people still use this forum, I know the Zuckerbook seems to be taking over things .

Hello everyone, I just recently acquired a 2014 NC700X with 2100 miles on it. I'm in Corpus Christi, TX. Looking forward to the long haul with this bike! (Literally). I come from riding a 2007 Suzuki DR200SE so this is a huge upgrade. Hopefully people still use this forum, I know the Zuckerbook seems to be taking over things .
Welcome aboard! I just got my first NC700x in May and love it! Great choice!

Hello, I picked a new 2019 NC750X DCT on July 04/20.
I traded in a 2104 CTX1300. It was getting a bit heavy for me to deal with.
Finally got out for a ride today along the Niagara Parkway.
I’m in Virgil, Ontario, Canada
Cheers all.
Welcome.

Curious to hear about how you like the NC750 after coming off the CTX1300.

FWIW my wife and I rode a good bit through Ontario last summer and along the north shore of the lake.

I made my first few posts without introducing myself. My name is Bob and recently I moved from the once great State of Illinois to Arlington, TX about 4 months ago. My job (pre-Covid) had me traveling all over the globe, however now I sit in my house and live on Zoom calls. I chose Arlington because it's close to the airport and if the weather is good, I can take side streets and get to DFW in 40 minutes and park my bike at offsite parking.

I bought my first bike, a Bonneville in 2010. It was a great bike but no lockable storage and not the best bike for touring. Granted, the NC750 I bought in 2020 isn't the best for touring, it isn't really the best at anything, but it's efficient, reliable, fun, secure (frunk and now Givi panniers), so I am more than thrilled.

I love being in Texas, as it's almost all-year riding. Granted, right now unless I am really moving, riding around in 100+ degree weather isn't ideal, however let's talk September - November and March - June. Spectacular riding weather for sure.

Back