• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

New Mirrors, Anybody ?!? Let's see em'...

WOULD YOU CHANGE YOUR MIRRORS ?!?

• YES, PLEASE GET RID OF THESE THINGS !!!

Votes: 8 18.2%
  • NO, I LOVE THE MIRRORS !!!

Votes: 21 47.7%
  • MAYBE…. IF I FOUND A COOL SET….

Votes: 16 36.4%

• Total voters

Jay Fridays

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have been wanting to change my mirrors for a while….

They remind me of big ol' antennae on a bug's head….lol
I love the visibility of the big mirrors, but the aesthetics leave much to be desired.

Anyway… i recently bought these replacements. They looked great; However, I broke one in the process…:rolleyes:
So, now I am waiting for the replacement to come….lol

The visibility is not nearly as good as the OEMs. Don't get me wrong, they work fine. You just have a smaller field of view. But they look WAY better….lol

I didn't get a picture of the bike before I put the Original mirrors back on, but here is a picture of the new ones. I will post a pic when they are installed. They did look awesome on the bike. They are small. The end of the mirror installed is even with the end of the handle bar, and sits a few inches above the handle (plenty of room for hands)

1.jpg

The view of what's behind me is far more important than the asthetics of the mirrors. I can see well with the stock NC mirrors. If they were like a CBR 250 or Ninja 250, where all you see is your shoulders, then yes, I would be changing them.

Personally, I like fairing mounted mirrors where the rear view is below your arms rather than outside your shoulders. The mirrors don't need to be spaced as far apart, they provide some wind protection, and the view is unobstructed. Wish the NC's were that style.

Last edited:
I understand the view is important. But honestly, I always turn my head when changing lanes. The mirrors are only to check for cops behind me…lol. And these mirrors definitely show you cars behind you, it's just a more narrow view range.

My only narrowed view downfall may be speeding tickets from cops in the distance. And when you see how cool they look installed, you may be intrigued….lol

I always turn my head to change lanes. So I don't think it will effect safety in this case. And they may get me to slow down a little bit (...probably not :rolleyes: )

Last edited:
Give me 4"x 6" rectangular in black chrome and I'll be a happy camper. Angular pointy mirrors are just something else to get skewered on if everything goes south.

Do the states have any requirements regarding mirror size? Here in Japan there is a minimum of something like 75 ㎠.

Do the states have any requirements regarding mirror size? Here in Japan there is a minimum of something like 75 ㎠.

Sorry it's in silly English units, but here's the requirements for manufacturers for motorcycles sold in the States:

FMVSS No. 111, Rearview Mirrors. A manufacturer must equip motorcycles/motor-driven cycles with a rearview mirror. Both vehicle types shall have either a mirror of unit magnification with not less than 12.5 in2 of reflective surface, or a convex mirror with not less than 10 in2 of reflective surface and an average radius curvature not less than 20 inches and not greater than 60 inches. The mirror shall be mounted on a stable support and the horizontal center of the reflective surface mounted at least 11 inches outward of the longitudinal centerline of the motorcycle. The mirror shall be adjustable by tilting in both the horizontal and vertical directions.

Mine might barely meet that size requirement. However, cops are not that strict about that sort of modification. As long as you have some kind of mirror. I have buddies with other customs that have much smaller mirrors and never get hassled.

Besides… That would require a police officer with a ruler, capable of gemetric calculations of curved shapes...
Not to typical in L.A....lol

Last edited:
Well, now that I think about it... If you add my two mirrors together, they will definitely meet the requirement….lol
:rolleyes:

Again, I only use them to check for cops in behind me… I always turn my head before lane changes…

Honestly, I highly doubt a cop is going to bust out a ruler and a pad of paper to measure my mirror. I can't even get them to come if I report a man with a knife near my house…. He's "low priority unless directly threatening someone… " …lol

Well, now that I think about it... If you add my two mirrors together, they will definitely meet the requirement….lol

Again, I only use them to check for cops in behind me… I always turn my head before lane changes…

Honestly, I highly doubt a cop is going to bust out a ruler and a pad of paper to measure my mirror. I can't even get them to come if I report a man with a knife near my house…. He's "low priority unless directly threatening someone… " …lol

Haha! Cops in the mirror? What are you guilty of? How different we are. Watching out for police never crosses my mind on any ride, ever.

Yes, I always turn my head, and I don't rely solely on mirrors, even when driving a cage.

I'm just a regular guy that likes to drive a little faster than the signs suggest...not any crime. But some cops feel the need to cause controversy where there is none in order to increase profit under the guise of a law written to protect me.... That's all...

I have those little convex mirrors stuck on my stock mirrors that give a larger field of vision. I don't need to turn my head. I can see out both both mirrors -(not a typo -lol ).
I am not one that worries about cops. I drive within what they consider acceptable. I could get pulled over for not signaling my intentions, though.

That regulation only applies to bike manufacturers and the mirrors they must provide at the time of sale. Doesn't say a word about aftermarket mirrors.

That regulation only applies to bike manufacturers and the mirrors they must provide at the time of sale. Doesn't say a word about aftermarket mirrors.

That's true. It was from the NHTSA regarding manufacturer's requirements.

What mirror(s) an owner must have on his machine to ride it legally on public roads would probably be governed by state law, and could vary from one state to the next.

Last edited:
Each state is different. Here is the California Vehicle Code. It applies to visitors of the state as well.

Looks like there is no size requirement. Just that we only need at least 1 mirror that can show us 200 feet behind.

V C Section 26709 Mirrors

Mirrors

26709. (a) Every motor vehicle registered in a foreign jurisdiction and every motorcycle subject to registration in this state shall be equipped with a mirror so located as to reflect to the driver a view of the highway for a distance of at least 200 feet to the rear of such vehicle.
Every motor vehicle subject to registration in this state, except a motorcycle, shall be equipped with not less than two such mirrors, including one affixed to the left-hand side.
(b) The following described types of motor vehicles, of a type subject to registration, shall be equipped with mirrors on both the left-and right-hand sides of the vehicle so located as to reflect to the driver a view of the highway through each mirror for a distance of at least 200 feet to the rear of such vehicle:
(1) A motor vehicle so constructed or loaded as to obstruct the driver's view to the rear.
(2) A motor vehicle towing a vehicle and the towed vehicle or load thereon obstructs the driver's view to the rear.
(3) A bus or trolley coach.
(c) The provisions of subdivision (b) shall not apply to a passenger vehicle when the load obstructing the driver's view consists of passengers.

Amended Ch. 74, Stats. 1970. Effective November 23, 1970.

The positive swing here is that you're never going to get hassled with a ticket for insufficient mirror size since they'll have plenty of paperwork involved in your speeding tickets.

So... good luck with that?

I'm in the fairing mount mirrors camp for preferences. I don't see that working with this bike, though. If anyone figures it out, please shoot me a PM!

Also, you're poll question is way too leading/funneling. There's a lot of options not mentioned.

Last edited:
It's not that I want to speed, I am forced to by my need to sleep longer in the morning…..lol

And, it's a poll…. what other options do you need? You like them just fine, you want to change them, or you're on the fence about it….

And you are correct about the fairing mounted mirrors not working here. Personally, I wouldn't go that route anyway. I like the mirror placement. I just don't like having such loooong stems and block mirrors on a bike with such nice lines and contours. The stock mirror might as well be off of my grandma's ford taurus….lol

Back