• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

New/old guy on the block

CruisinTx

Reaction score
Visit site
Good morning all. I am a long time rider wanting to learn more about the NC700 series of bikes from Honda. I'm hailing from Fritch, Tx and seriously considering down-sizing from my BMW R1100RT. The main reasons for that are; looking for lower seat height for my 27" inseam, lighter weight for my old arthritic knees and hips, better fuel mileage for my retirement budget. Maybe someone here is ready to up-size.

Hello, CruisinTX, and welcome.

The NC has a lot going for it, but what caught my eye in your story was that you were looking for a lower seat height. Honda specs the NC750X seat height as 32.7”, which is not especially low. However, I don’t know what height you’re coming from on the R1100RT.

Honda discontinued the CTX700 model, which is much the same as the X, but with a different styling and riding position, no “frunk”, and a seat height of 28.3”. If that is of interest to you, there are probably still leftovers at dealers or warehouses.

Hello, CruisinTX, and welcome.

The NC has a lot going for it, but what caught my eye in your story was that you were looking for a lower seat height. Honda specs the NC750X seat height as 32.7”, which is not especially low. However, I don’t know what height you’re coming from on the R1100RT.

Honda discontinued the CTX700 model, which is much the same as the X, but with a different styling and riding position, no “frunk”, and a seat height of 28.3”. If that is of interest to you, there are probably still leftovers at dealers or warehouses.
Thank you. I am pretty much completely out of touch with the Honda line-up. I have not owned one other than a couple of Rebels since 1977. The lower seat height is a must have for me. So, I may be on the wrong forum here. I don't mind advice from those more in the know.

The 1100RT is a very tall bike like most of the BMWs. The lowest seat setting of three is about 31.5" My lowering efforts have knocked that down a lot, but as I get older, the tip-toeing at stops with a 670lb bike really raises the pucker factor. It's a great bike in great shape, but for my own safety, I really need to let it go.

Someone is sure to post here that the NC700X or NC750X can be modified to lower the seat. Yes, it can, but doing so compromises frame geometry, suspension, and clearances. If you were starting with a clean sheet of paper, it would be better to find a bike with a low seat height to begin with.

I’m not a fan of cruiser styling and rider position, but I have to say the aforementioned CTX, as well as the new Rebel 500 would get you a smaller bike with a low seat. The 500 parallel twin engine Honda now uses in a number of models is a great engine.

My wife is riding scooters in order to get a low seat. Unfortunately Honda doesnt currently sell a scooter with a decent size engine for highway use.

See the lineup at https://powersports.honda.com/

Last edited:
Cruisin, the seat height on the nc700x or dct is about the same at the bmw you have,,,and you can make simliar adjustments. The NC700x or dct weighs approx 200 lbs less than your bmw...you may be able to get it down low enough to be on the balls of your feet but not flat...
As 670cc mentioned, the ctx700 is basically the same bike (they are listed part of this forum even), but in cruiser form....same frame (just stretched for cruiser), same engine, same tranny...it doesnt have the 21/22 liter front trunk (frunk). The ctx700 also has a manual and dct versions.
Here is one example down in Texas:

Good morning all. I am a long time rider wanting to learn more about the NC700 series of bikes from Honda. I'm hailing from Fritch, Tx and seriously considering down-sizing from my BMW R1100RT. The main reasons for that are; looking for lower seat height for my 27" inseam, lighter weight for my old arthritic knees and hips, better fuel mileage for my retirement budget. Maybe someone here is ready to up-size.

Perhaps the S version which has a seat height of 31.1 inches. The X is 1.5 inches taller.

Perhaps the S version which has a seat height of 31.1 inches. The X is 1.5 inches taller.
The S version would be a good candidate, but unfortunately the S was never made available in the United States.

I've seen a couple CTX on craigslist in the NW lately. Looks like a good way to get a lower seat and DCT. Probably a lot more comfortable and wind-protected than an NC with a stock seat and larger aftermarket windscreen too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Older arthritic guy here too...

My wife rides a NC700x with a "Soupy's" adjustable lowering kit. She can barely get on my NC750x with the standard seat height. Not saying she can't do it, but she was 1 footing her NC700x at stop lights before we installed the lowering kit.

With a 27" inseam, you will want a lowering kit.

It certainly is a well balanced bike that rides lighter than its actual weight because the center of gravity is nice and low. As for fuel economy, that is a bonus, these sip gas.

As for the NC7--x series bikes, we are clearly a family sold on the concept. Easy to ride, easy to live with. These are not robust off road/on road bikes. They have the adventure look but really have street suspension and are great commuter bikes. If you want to go off road for adventuring you'll probably want to upgrade the suspension. But in stock mode you can ride and ride and ride on anything from a gravel road to a super slab.

I ride mine into town to run errands, use it to commute to the local fencing club to give lessons to kids, and ride it locally just for fun. Wife and I did the "Great Lakes Circle Route" with ours last year; going along the coastlines of all 5 Great Lakes & crossing the St Lawrence Seaway. They make nice lightweight touring bikes. Never going to be as comfortable as riding a Goldwing, never going to have the passing power of a BMW GS, but if you are looking for an easy to ride bike this may be a great choice for you.

Back