• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Information New owner

Haroldz1

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello all. Just purchased a 2012 NC700X today. One owner with 5700 miles. Lots of extras, Honda trunk and bags, rack, center stand, fender extension and rear hugger. Hauled it home in the truck, just a little to cold to ride. Warmer next week.
Been riding for over 40 yrs, retired after 45 yrs and needed a new to me bike. Think I got a good one Hopefully will be able to do a lot of riding this year and many more. Location: Carbondale,Illinois.

Welcome, Haroldz1. Sounds like you got a good bike (I also have a 2012). Don’t be afraid to ask questions on the forum, and enjoy the ride!

Welcome from sunny Florida although today and tomorrow it feels like Illinois.
Welcome to the site Haroldz1. I just got a 2012NC this past week myself. It was 20 degrees here this morning so Like you the weather hasn't been the best for riding. I am also an old retired dude like you (72). Maybe we can ride and learn about them together.

I copied dduelin on this because I was curious about riding conditions in Florida. We are selling our home and moving to Cape Coral from Columbus, Ohio this Summer. All the Ohio snow this February was the last straw. I swear that I had to run our snowblower every other day in February. Part of the drive was compacted snow and inch thick ice. I slipped and landed flat on my back and don't bounce as good as I used to. We have spent the last 5 Winters before this one in the Cape with our daughter but we didn't go this year because of COVID. Don't know which is worse, COVID or Winter. Maybe it's time to trade the snowblower for a pontoon boat.

DDuelin, I have driven our van a lot down there but didn't pay that much attention. Is sand on the roads a common problem? I would hate to scratch up my new to me NC.

Welcome to the site Haroldz1. I just got a 2012NC this past week myself. It was 20 degrees here this morning so Like you the weather hasn't been the best for riding. I am also an old retired dude like you (72). Maybe we can ride and learn about them together.

I copied dduelin on this because I was curious about riding conditions in Florida. We are selling our home and moving to Cape Coral from Columbus, Ohio this Summer. All the Ohio snow this February was the last straw. I swear that I had to run our snowblower every other day in February. Part of the drive was compacted snow and inch thick ice. I slipped and landed flat on my back and don't bounce as good as I used to. We have spent the last 5 Winters before this one in the Cape with our daughter but we didn't go this year because of COVID. Don't know which is worse, COVID or Winter. Maybe it's time to trade the snowblower for a pontoon boat.

DDuelin, I have driven our van a lot down there but didn't pay that much attention. Is sand on the roads a common problem? I would hate to scratch up my new to me NC.

Hi Ron. I live in Lee County but on the south end. Sanibel and Captiva often have sand in the road but speeds are low. You'll no doubt go out on River Road in Alva. Nothing out of the ordinary there except later on in the ride there is a concrete company that has access to its plant just before a curve. There is often sand there that you need to pay attention to and adjust. 29, 78, 17, 27 have never presented any unusual concerns. Alico Road has lime and concrete companies but in straightaways...never been a real issue. Riding down to the Everglades at certain times of the year has had some sand but no pucker factor volume. Never an issue through Ocala (up north) and the other forests for me except once after Irma. Back roads in Arcadia you have to watch out for grass, straw, and sand (and animals). I tell you what is the most concerning thing in this county...distracted drivers and half-drunk tourists who have not a care in the world. It's been really bad lately.

Mzflorida. Thanks for the info. My daughter commented about how dead the supermarket is until snowbird season and then it is a mess. I guess with thousands of people who are used to driving in other parts of the country that is a big risk.

Hello Ron,

Florida's a big state. Not so much in square miles but in distances. It's 850 miles between one end of Florida to the to other. I have no idea about roads close to Cape Coral - it's 325 miles from my house to Cape Coral and I rarely ride south of a line across the peninsula that is just above Orlando, a line across Brooksville, Clermont, and Titusville. I live in extreme NE Florida, I grew up on northwest FL. I think a lot of people that move to FL don't ever ride or even visit inland north central, north, northeast and northwest FL. It's pass-through country on the way to retirement communities in central and southern FL. Aside from the coastal beaches the northern part of the state is a mix of rural farm land, cattle and horse ranches, and forested areas. It's not mountainous of course but we do have areas of low hills and rolling country and our share of curvy roads. Sand on the road is not really a problem. Wildlife like deer, turkey, and buzzards are what I worry about. I ride mostly out in the country away from cities and towns, 320 miles today with a couple of friends and we had the roads pretty much to ourselves.

Thanks for the update dduelin. Mzflorida answered my questions. He lives closer to the area that I was concerned with.

I do know it is a 4 hour drive once we cross the Florida border just to get to my daughters house in Cape Coral. The northern part of the state seems to be more rolling hills and farmland and that gives way to flatland once you get further south. Asking you a generic question about Florida roads without knowing where in the state you live didn't make much sense.

Have a great Easter.

Back