• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

New Prospective NC750 owner

fmpro

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Folks! I've been lurking here for awhile but this is my first post. My wife and I are total motorcycle newbs. I've SOME riding experience from my younger years, mostly large scooters and small motorcycles. My wife and I, (50 and 43), are taking to the road for a few years in our new airstream that's on order. We are probably about 18 months away by the time we sell our home and wait for our travel trailer to be completed as well as our truck that we've yet to order. We are ordering a F350 as our tow vehicle, and I'm thinking a pair of NC750s would be a perfect addition to our adventures. We'd get the bikes sooner rather than later so that we can take some safety courses and get comfortable with the bikes. BUT......I've no idea if loading two NC750s onto a F350 with a long bed, is even possible. Dimension wise, I think I only have an inch of wiggle room in the width department, possibly 1/2 inch. I've found a few posts on here with regards to loading a NC750 on a Honda Ridgeline, but no references to a heavy duty long bed. What do you guys think? Could two NC's be loaded into the bed of a heavy duty long bed (8ft bed)? Thanks in advance! Looking forward to learning more from you all!

Being an RVer (motorhome) as well as a motorcyclist, I have some thoughts on this.

* Camping can involve a lot of gear and supplies, depending on whether you are just traveling through or fully indulging in a forest campsite for multiple nights. Travel trailers sometimes do not have a lot of storage, so some gear goes in the truck. If the truck is full of motorcycles and loading ramps, will you have room for camping gear? Will you have room for motorcycle helmets, pants, jackets, boots, and motorcycle maintenance equipment?

* The NC is nearly a five hundred pound machine. While the F350 will probably have the payload to handle the bikes and the trailer tongue weight, is loading 500 pound bikes into a high truck bed something you are comfortable with?

* You will need to unhitch the trailer and pull away to unload the motorcycles.

In the RV world, there is no perfect solution to all the possible ways you can RV and bring various toys, toads, and trailers along. You have already ordered the Airstream, which I assume is not a toyhauler, so you are already set on the path you're on. All I can suggest is to consider smaller, lighter weight motorcycles to make loading and handling easier. Going with a CB500X will knock off 33 pounds each, but I'd consider going smaller yet, depending on how you want to use the motorcycles.

In regards to the motorcycle choice, there are many females well capable of handling an NC750X, but with you and the wife being "total motorcycle newbs", is the NC750X even a good choice for you both to start out on?

We went the motorhome route because we sometimes bring a compact car along, sometimes motorcycle(s), sometimes a boat, sometimes only bicycles. The motorhome combines the truck and the living quarters, thus gives us freedom to bring along the toy(s) or toad (dinghy) of our choice that suits the activity. We don't full time and don't plan to, but if we did, we'd go with a motorhome, motorcycle lift, and dinghy, or a truck with a fifth wheel toy hauler.

Last edited:
Being an RVer (motorhome) as well as a motorcyclist, I have some thoughts on this.

* Camping can involve a lot of gear and supplies, depending on whether you are just traveling through or fully indulging in a forest campsite for multiple nights. Travel trailers sometimes do not have a lot of storage, so some gear goes in the truck. If the truck is full of motorcycles and loading ramps, will you have room for camping gear?

* The NC is nearly a five hundred pound machine. While the F350 will probably have the payload to handle the bikes and the trailer tongue weight, is loading 500 pound bikes into a high truck bed something you are comfortable with?

* You will need to unhitch the trailer and pull away to unload the motorcycles.

In the RV world, there is no perfect solution to all the possible ways you can RV and bring various toys, toads, and trailers along. You have already ordered the Airstream, which I assume is not a toyhauler, so you are already set on the path you're on. All I can suggest is to consider smaller, lighter weight motorcycles to make loading and handling easier. Going with a CB500X will knock off 33 pounds each, but I'd consider going smaller yet, depending on how you want to use the motorcycles.

In regards to the motorcycle choice, there are many females well capable of handling an NC750X, but with you and the wife being "total motorcycle newbs", is the NC750X even a good choice for you both to start out on?

We went the motorhome route because we sometimes bring a compact car along, sometimes motorcycle(s), sometimes a boat, sometimes only bicycles. The motorhome combines the truck and the living quarters, thus gives us freedom to bring along the toy(s) or toad (dinghy) of our choice that suits the activity.
Great insight. Thank you very much for sharing your wisdom and experience! I was initially looking at the CRF300L, for the reasons you stated with regards to the size and weight of the bikes. My one issue is the lack of DCT, which I think will make or break my wife's experience. I thought I'd read that the NC750, while not ideal for newbies, was a not a crazy choice either if the rider is strong enough. I'll look into the CBX. Is that by chance offered with a DCT? Payload isn't an issue with the F350 I'm going to order, but frankly, if I'm not getting the NCs, I'll likely opt for a short bed vs long. Thanks again!

Great insight. Thank you very much for sharing your wisdom and experience! I was initially looking at the CRF300L, for the reasons you stated with regards to the size and weight of the bikes. My one issue is the lack of DCT, which I think will make or break my wife's experience. I thought I'd read that the NC750, while not ideal for newbies, was a not a crazy choice either if the rider is strong enough. I'll look into the CBX. Is that by chance offered with a DCT? Payload isn't an issue with the F350 I'm going to order, but frankly, if I'm not getting the NCs, I'll likely opt for a short bed vs long. Thanks again!
The CB and Rebel 500 series engine is not available with an automatic transmission.

I think the DCT is a great offering from Honda for new motorcyclists. What makes no sense it that Honda's smallest size entry point for DCT is at 493 pounds. Why Honda does not focus automatic transmission efforts in the 300cc range, I'll never understand.

Don't laugh, but the Honda Navi is an automatic that would be manageable and fun, but it's not a highway capable machine.

Don’t forget motorcycles need much more frequent maintenance than a car. The shops to do it are much less available and bringing the tools to do it yourself takes up more space.

The CB and Rebel 500 series engine is not available with an automatic transmission.

I think the DCT is a great offering from Honda for new motorcyclists. What makes no sense it that Honda's smallest size entry point for DCT is at 493 pounds. Why Honda does not focus automatic transmission efforts in the 300cc range, I'll never understand.

Don't laugh, but the Honda Navi is an automatic that would be manageable and fun, but it's not a highway capable machine.
You know, if someone had suggested the Navi to me 30 years ago, I would have laughed, lol. BUT, I find the older I get, the less I care about what other folks think, haha. It looks like a REALLY fun little bike. That said, I'd ideally want to own a bike that is at least a little bit highway capable. Picturing myself on the Navi, I can't stop thinking about about Chris Farley's "Fat guy in a little coat" routine, lol.

Hi Folks! I've been lurking here for awhile but this is my first post. My wife and I are total motorcycle newbs. I've SOME riding experience from my younger years, mostly large scooters and small motorcycles. My wife and I, (50 and 43), are taking to the road for a few years in our new airstream that's on order. We are probably about 18 months away by the time we sell our home and wait for our travel trailer to be completed as well as our truck that we've yet to order. We are ordering a F350 as our tow vehicle, and I'm thinking a pair of NC750s would be a perfect addition to our adventures. We'd get the bikes sooner rather than later so that we can take some safety courses and get comfortable with the bikes. BUT......I've no idea if loading two NC750s onto a F350 with a long bed, is even possible. Dimension wise, I think I only have an inch of wiggle room in the width department, possibly 1/2 inch. I've found a few posts on here with regards to loading a NC750 on a Honda Ridgeline, but no references to a heavy duty long bed. What do you guys think? Could two NC's be loaded into the bed of a heavy duty long bed (8ft bed)? Thanks in advance! Looking forward to learning more from you all!
One other thought, not motorcycle related. As for your timing of the travel in relation to the arrival of your trailer, allow some time for RV trailer shakedown. In my experience and from anecdotal evidence from many RV owners, a modern RV is the most poorly built, unreliable big ticket item you can buy. Allow a year or two to fix the manufacturing flaws, and uncover the defects in a new RV. I would advise against hitting the road as soon as your new trailer arrives. Although Airstream may have a good reputation from the past, they are now a Thor brand, and it’s my observation that Thor ranks near or at the bottom for product quality. We can only hope that Thor has let Airstream continue their business without interference. I don’t mean to put down your particular RV choice, but it’s the general reality of the USA RV industry.

Last edited:
As noted loading heavy motorcycles into a tall truck bed is “interesting” and not something for the faint hearted. Also, it you want to carry ANY motorcycle(s) and pull a trailer get the long bed truck. You will thank me later (tailgate has to be up for most trailer applications, meaning the floor of the bed itself is all the room you have. A lot of machines won’t fit a short bed with the tailgate up. The “little” 750 NC has more weight (and as much power) than most of the “big bikes” from the 1960’s. Might be a bit much for folks new to the sport, esp is one is vertically challenged. There are “motorcycle loaders” that with electrohydraulically lift your bike and place it in your truck bed, but the ones I’ve seen are a one machine lift. Two midsize road bikes in a truck bed will be “cozy”. Look around, a lot, before you buy. If automatic trans is a must have, you might be better off with midsize scooters (250-300 cc”). They will run highway speeds, are lighter and easier to learn than a lot of motorcycles. Good luck and happy riding

I would highly recommend a scooter for this application. I drove a Vespa GTS 300 for the past 2 years and loved it. It topped out at 76 mph in perfect conditions and was comfortable all day long at 65. Tons of storage, easy for anyone to drive due to low center of gravity, and super cool to boot! Much easier to get into a truck and I’m sure you could fit 2 side-by-side in a big F350.AC7789BA-5CC6-4F7A-91A6-580C60741776.jpeg

I think a Vespa is a great idea. Had one for 6 months in my youth. Abused it badly but it shrugged it off. Practical, and cheap to run.

I would highly recommend a scooter for this application. I drove a Vespa GTS 300 for the past 2 years and loved it. It topped out at 76 mph in perfect conditions and was comfortable all day long at 65. Tons of storage, easy for anyone to drive due to low center of gravity, and super cool to boot! Much easier to get into a truck and I’m sure you could fit 2 side-by-side in a big F350.View attachment 49396
What happened to Honda?.....lol. Maybe I shoulda' kept my Honda Dream.

Last edited:
FWIW, the OP left the conversation about 5 weeks ago.

But others might be interested. It's not like it's a fast-moving forum with no room for interesting tidbits.
I agree, it's all good, and it's not a topic we have discussed before. But, if someone was directing advice to the thread originator, they may no longer be with us.

What happened to Honda?.....lol. Maybe I shoulda' kept my Honda Dream.
What happened to Honda? is a good question. Honda has not been active in the USA scooter market, currently offering only 4 models, the largest engine size being 157cc. The 250 and 600 size scooters are long gone.

Back