• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

New rider ready to ride Cross Country!

Jeniusbiker

Reaction score
Visit site
Just picked up a 2014 NCXD with the intenton of riding it cross country!
IMG_2645-726329.jpg

Welcome to the Ride JB! Sound like quite the undertaking and IMHO you have the perfect bike for it! A hearty welcome from North Idaho. If you are up this way, i'll happily ride a stretch with you and a meal/PIE is on me!

I am presuming that you are going to add some comforts/protection to the bike. Some sort of Bark Busters/Hand guards, seat modification or aftermarket seat, crash bars, highway pegs etc etc... :{)

Last edited:
If you give a heads up about your route and keep everyone up to date on your whereabouts I'm sure you can get some free meals beverages and conversation along the way, on that note if your in central California and I'm available I'd like to cover a meal and hear about your travels.

Another rider is covering multiple states right now and relating his whereabouts using glimpse, it's also possible with Google maps but this glimpse thing has worked very well

Glympse - Default Viewer

Welcome to the Ride JB! Sound like quite the undertaking and IMHO you have the perfect bike for it! A hearty welcome from North Idaho. If you are up this way, i'll happily ride a stretch with you and a meal/PIE is on me!

I am presuming that you are going to add some comforts/protection to the bike. Some sort of Bark Busters/Hand guards, seat modification or aftermarket seat, crash bars, highway pegs etc etc... :{)
Greenboy another rider on here recommended a sit-n-fly or similar type of seat cover, I would highly recommend looking into that

Enjoy the trip. I rode out west two years ago, not to the coast, but as far as Zion. Wonderful trip. Great memories. Follow the above suggestions and drink in every mile and every stop.

Invest in a CamelBack or other water rig. I did the Iron Butt on a stock seat w/an AirHawk on it, no problem. Don't bungee anything across the passenger seat (makes fuel stops a pain). As far as apps to set up on your phone - look at EatSleepRide. It has a ride tracker (free) as well as a Crash Alert (paid version) function. High winds can be brutal; between Wells Nevada and Boise Idaho I couldn't get it over 70 mph and was leaned over most of that part of the ride into the wind. Food, documents, quick supplies in frunk, all else in the saddlebags. If you're going over mid-summer, a cooling vest or a cool-dana are life savers.

Just picked up a 2014 NCXD with the intenton of riding it cross country!

Quite a lofty goal for a new rider...Might want to get some miles under a motorcycle's tires before jumping into the deep end of a multi-week ride that takes a new rider thousands and thousands of miles. All kinds of roads, traffic, and weather....

Just to be clear: There is no "new rider" that is ready for a trip like that...but it has probably been done.

I know it must be exciting thinking about an epic ride on the new bike, (cross-country rides and rides to Alaska are bucket list rides for many) but you should have some real experience first. Right now as a new rider, you don't even know what you don't know :-(

In one, two, three seconds someone will jump in about how their first ride ever was around the world or down to Patagonia and how anyone can do it "if careful". But I would personally gain some real experience first!

Gotta add that your new bike looks great and wish you many, MANY happy miles/smiles on it. Do it safely though!

Last edited:
I would stay in CA and ride there for a while. if SF means San Francisco (I used to live in Marin County) you have some of the BEST MC roads in the country. When it stops burning I would start to explore there. Get a copy of Destinationhighways.com Northern California book and map. Well worth the money and a lot of those roads are within a day or two of you. Truly great rides. If you get near to the Illinois/Wisconsin border I can set you up to a meal and bed. Also any maintenance needed from valve adjustment to a tire change. Ride local and read all you can in the meantime about gear/accessories and what is needed and what is nice to have. There will be much differing of opinions but it is what you think is best for you.
Luck to you
P.S. Don't over plan your trip. Leave up to 3 days extra in your time line. Use it for going an unplanned way, for bike maintenance, or just because you want to relax and recoup in a nice place.

Back