• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

New Tires: TKC-80 front and Shinko 805 rear

SlickZ

Reaction score
Visit site
Just mounted up a new set, had to wait for the back ordered TKC. I got 2800 miles out of the stock Dunlop, and they were crap in the dirt. I'm hoping to do more offroad camping and exploring this year, hence the change to knobbies.

image.jpg

First impression:

Easy to mount, I put RideOn in them as a precaution. In the limited miles I have on them they are so much better on the gravel road, and they seem to grip the pavement and ride as smooth as the old Dunlops. Haven't seen any water yet, but stream crossings are in the future.

Last edited:
1000 mile Update

I just got back from a nice camping trip with 2 of my BMW buddies. Trip was awesome, about 50/50 dirt/street, spent the last few days wandering the Uintah Mountains of NE Utah and Colorado. I hadn't been to Dinosaur national park since I was just a little kid. Camping and riding along both the Green and Yampa Rivers was beautiful.
The dirt roads are plentiful, they involve everything from oiled smooth to barely improved dirt trail. We found a couple long sections of deep sand which assisted both BMW's in taking unexpected naps. I am proud to report that the new tire combo on the NC went great through the sand, steep loose rocks, river crossings and smooth down the highway. I don't notice the Shinko 805 to be much different than the knobbies on my WR in the gravel, they all move around a bit. I can't say enough about how happy I am with my purchase. Tkc80 front still has the little nubbins on it(next no wear) and the rear 805 has just gotten the edges rounded off on the center blocks. Looks like they are going to give me much better mileage than the stock Dunlops, and are relatively cheap to replace.

I wish I took more pictures, but I will have to hit up the other guys as my cellphone pics aren't that great.

Last edited:
Ha! I wish you had SOME pictures!

I bet it was great to go on past the Beemers!

Good for you and the NC's rep.

Nice setup! I just finally wore out my TKC80 front and K60 Scout rear. Loved the front but the K60 really wasn't great in the wet. Was slippery way too often. Only good thing was they wore completely evenly, almost 10k miles. This time i picked up both TKC80s. Next time Ill try that 805 on the rear, i didn't realize it was an option until after i ordered, and I've heard good things so far!

I've had the same combination on for 10,000 km +. It's time for a new rear but I feel I made the right choice.

I use my NC for commuting which involves about 20km of northern gravel every day. I also do weekend trips down south (highway) and a bit of exploring when the opportunity presents itself. I bought the TKC-80 because it was the only relativity aggressive tire available for the front. I bought the 805 because it seemed like a good match, and it was cheep, here is the thread I used to decide. Early on I was impressed with the tire both on pavement and off. I knew I could expect decent off-road capabilities but was surprised how well it handled on the road. The only thing I came across that the 805 did not handle with grace was thick slush snow, but that's hardly fair. Once I got to know the tire I was very happy but thought it was wearing quickly. I decided if I made it to 10,000 km I would be happy indeed.

As others have mentioned in other threads the 805 lacks a bit of horizontal grip on loose surface, and it's predictable, but it's getting worse as the shallow vertical groves disappear. It also really doesn't like higher pressures, mine seems most happy right at 30 PSI.

I don't ride very aggressively but do like to keep a bit of speed on gravel and the pavement. I am now at 11,500 km for the Shinko and 10,000 on the TKC-80. The rear is nearly worn out with just over 3mm tread depth at the center. I am sure I can go another few thousand km on the road but it's starting to slide more than I like on wet clay base and muddy sections in the road. The front TKC-80 is still looking to be in great shape and I expect it to last the life of a second Shinko 805.

Overall I have been very happy with this combination. The Shinko could use a tad more horizontal grip on loose terrain but at the price it's something I can easily live with.
805.jpgTKC80.jpgFrancois.jpgQuApel.jpgSnow.jpg

Well, the 805 rear lasted 13500 km and was down to only 1mm of tread in a couple places. A new one went on the other day...

...As others have mentioned in other threads the 805 lacks a bit of horizontal grip on loose surface, and it's predictable, but it's getting worse as the shallow vertical groves disappear.
I found an old tire groover and thought I would take care of my only complaint about this tire.
IMG_20171014_162209.jpg

Glad to see this and hear all of these good reviews. I am I am thinkig the tkc80 up front and 805 for the rear is going to be my combo when the stockers go out on me shortly. I use mine for general commuting, no real offroad use, but she does see gravel/fire road use, as I haul my mountain bike with my nc, and sometimes to way to the trail head is off the beaten path. Seems like a great combo!

I just got back from a nice camping trip with 2 of my BMW buddies. Trip was awesome, about 50/50 dirt/street, spent the last few days wandering the Uintah Mountains of NE Utah and Colorado. I hadn't been to Dinosaur national park since I was just a little kid. Camping and riding along both the Green and Yampa Rivers was beautiful.
The dirt roads are plentiful, they involve everything from oiled smooth to barely improved dirt trail. We found a couple long sections of deep sand which assisted both BMW's in taking unexpected naps. I am proud to report that the new tire combo on the NC went great through the sand, steep loose rocks, river crossings and smooth down the highway. I don't notice the Shinko 805 to be much different than the knobbies on my WR in the gravel, they all move around a bit. I can't say enough about how happy I am with my purchase. Tkc80 front still has the little nubbins on it(next no wear) and the rear 805 has just gotten the edges rounded off on the center blocks. Looks like they are going to give me much better mileage than the stock Dunlops, and are relatively cheap to replace.

I wish I took more pictures, but I will have to hit up the other guys as my cellphone pics aren't that great.

In comparison to original front tire, comfort wise, how does the TKC feel on pavement? Also, do you experience any wobble at low speeds?

Back