• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Question New Tires

Thanks for all the input guys!
After all the information I got from you I decided to go with the Shinko Ravens. (For the little dirt & gravel roads I ride, they make the most sense)
I got a really good deal on them from Cycle Gear, used a discount code & used a $25 gift card I had, the set only came to $138 all in.

Thank you all for your help!
:)

After all the information I got from you I decided to go with the Shinko Ravens. (For the little dirt & gravel roads I ride, they make the most sense)
I got a really good deal on them from Cycle Gear, used a discount code & used a $25 gift card I had, the set only came to $138 all in.

Thats a dog gone great buy

Just bought another Shinzo raven rear. Took my bike in for inspection the other day and the current raven was too far gone (barely). I needed to replace it before the Heart of Texas Rally next month anyway. I was happy enough with it,I just reordered it again.

I run shinko ravens and think you will be well pleased with them.

My 2021 came with Metzler Tourance Nexts. They went 7130 miles. Then I tried Michelin R5s. They went 8579 miles. Then I tried Pirelli Angel GTs and they went 7696 miles. I recently put on Shinko Raven 09's. Only have about 700 miles on them. All have been very good tires. Some cost more, and some lasted longer. When figured per mile the Metzler cost .025 per mile. The Michelin and Pirelli .028 per mile. If the Shinko goes 7500 miles it will compute to .16 per mile. I would run any of them again handling wise.
Great input. I'm looking at the Shinko Raven 009's, but the Ebay tire selector claims this is not a fit for the 2022 NC750X DCT. I suspect that is incorrect, but any idea why that claim?

Great input. I'm looking at the Shinko Raven 009's, but the Ebay tire selector claims this is not a fit for the 2022 NC750X DCT. I suspect that is incorrect, but any idea why that claim?
I’ve never heard of the eBay tire selector. Can you post a link to it?

I’ve never heard of the eBay tire selector. Can you post a link to it?
I bought Shinko Raven 009’s for my 2014 NC700X based mainly on positive reviews on this site. I also considered 005’s.
The 1st 50+ miles they were really squirrelly, but again I knew they would be from this site.
Now that I have them, I love them. I go into curves with confidence now! My back tire was really worn & at times I could feel it slip a bit…
Not a big deal when you’re on a 175 Enduro when you 16, but a sphincter tightening moment when you are on this bike at 61 years old….

Well, they fit the 21's for sure and the 21s and 22s have the same wheels so it's obviously an error.

I'm now at 5,509 miles on my Shinko Ravens and have maybe 1/32 or so to the wear bar. They are not going to make 7,500 miles that's for sure, but I'll keep running them until they are worn out and see how many miles I can get out of them. They look pretty good although the rear is looking a little flattened across the center but they still handle fine.

Right now, cost wise, they are sitting at .022 cents per mile, and each mile drops the per mileage cost.

I have another set of Pirelli Angel GT's in the garage to go on when these Shinkos wear out mainly because Pirelli had a $60 per pair tire rebate.

I had great luck with Avon Trail riders on my CB500x for both street and loose gravel. Anyone else have experience with these? Thinking about going to these on my NC once the Michelins wear out.

I'm now at 5,509 miles on my Shinko Ravens and have maybe 1/32 or so to the wear bar.

Right now, cost wise, they are sitting at .022 cents per mile, and each mile drops the per mileage cost.

Making sure I ran the calculator correctly:
22 cents/mile, or 0.022 cents per mile?

I'm not a math major but I believe it computes out to just over 2 cents per mile

tire listed for $121.68 @ Revzilla when I priced it . 121.68 divided by 5509 = .022 or .02 cents + a little rounded down

Of course, that doesn't include mounting, but the mounting costs the same for every tire, no matter the brand.

Then again, all the tires I have tested Metzler (.026), Michelin (.028), and Pirelli (.028) all came out between 2 and 3 cents per mile as well.

For someone that rides like me though, the fewer mounting jobs you have to pay for in the long run (say, in 100,000 miles), the less the "tire experience" is going to cost .....which favors the tires that get the highest mileage, which for me would be the Michelin R5's. ..at least one would think

BUT

in 100,000 miles with Michelins getting 8579 miles that would require 12 mounting fees @ $60 a wheel = $ 720

at 5509 miles (if that's all I got out of the Shinkos) that would require 18 mounting fees @ $60 a wheel = $1080

a diff of $360

However, digging deeper

12 Michelins @ 242.84 = 2914.08

18 Shinkos @ 121.68 = 2190.24

the math would show 18 Shinkos cost $723.84 less than 12 Michelins

so in 100,000 miles you would save $ 363.84 by running Shinkos even though they get less miles out of them and you have to pay for more mountings than the Michelins

Can you tell I'm retired? lol

I'm not a math major but I believe it computes out to just over 2 cents per mile

tire listed for $121.68 @ Revzilla when I priced it . 121.68 divided by 5509 = .022 or .02 cents + a little rounded down

Of course, that doesn't include mounting, but the mounting costs the same for every tire, no matter the brand.

Then again, all the tires I have tested Metzler (.026), Michelin (.028), and Pirelli (.028) all came out between 2 and 3 cents per mile as well.

For someone that rides like me though, the fewer mounting jobs you have to pay for in the long run (say, in 100,000 miles), the less the "tire experience" is going to cost .....which favors the tires that get the highest mileage, which for me would be the Michelin R5's. ..at least one would think

BUT

in 100,000 miles with Michelins getting 8579 miles that would require 12 mounting fees @ $60 a wheel = $ 720

at 5509 miles (if that's all I got out of the Shinkos) that would require 18 mounting fees @ $60 a wheel = $1080

a diff of $360

However, digging deeper

12 Michelins @ 242.84 = 2914.08

18 Shinkos @ 121.68 = 2190.24

the math would show 18 Shinkos cost $723.84 less than 12 Michelins

so in 100,000 miles you would save $ 363.84 by running Shinkos even though they get less miles out of them and you have to pay for more mountings than the Michelins

Can you tell I'm retired? lol
So in 100,000 miles the confidence and safety margin afforded by riding on proven grippy all-weather tires only costs $364 more? What a bargain.

Well, they fit the 21's for sure and the 21s and 22s have the same wheels so it's obviously an error.

I'm now at 5,509 miles on my Shinko Ravens and have maybe 1/32 or so to the wear bar. They are not going to make 7,500 miles that's for sure, but I'll keep running them until they are worn out and see how many miles I can get out of them. They look pretty good although the rear is looking a little flattened across the center but they still handle fine.

I have another set of Pirelli Angel GT's in the garage to go on when these Shinkos wear out mainly because Pirelli had a $60 per pair tire rebate.
Yea, agree.... going for it.

So in 100,000 miles the confidence and safety margin afforded by riding on proven grippy all-weather tires only costs $364 more? What a bargain.
There is that.

I love Michelins. My favorite tire to run on all my vehicles 2 and 4 wheels for decades.

I have honestly been surprised by the Shinkos. They have never given me concern, and I ride in plenty of wet weather, rain and snow, but it doesn't appear they are going to meet my longevity expectations, even if they have for others.

Honestly the only tire I doubt I would put on any of my vehicles are Bridgestones, due to bad experiences with several that came on new bikes I boought, although others love them.

I see. It appears this seller needs to update their listing. The seller’s compatibility chart doesn’t show fitment for any motorcycle model newer than 2018. To potentially sell more tires, it would be to their advantage to use a more current chart.

In my opinion, the compatibility chart in the listing serves to give the buyer a claim against the seller in case they do send an item that is unsuitable for the advertised purpose. Other than that, I see so many errors in seller listings that I have much more confidence in my own research than in their listing details.

Back