• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

New to Riding

mzflorida

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hello Everyone,

I am just returning to riding after over 25 years away. I made the choice to buy a 2016 NC700X DCT ABS for a lot of reasons. I am taller than average at 602 with a 34" inseam. The bike seems to fit me well, but I might want to make some mods and am looking for any advice that I can get. Seats, pegs, whatever your initial thoughts are. One thing that I know I wold like to do, but don't know if I will be able to do, is to move the pegs and controls forward. Is that something that can be done? Also, I am getting a price of about 6400.00 OTD for a brand new bike. I think that is a pretty good price. Any thoughts on that? Also, I would really like to enhance the rear visibility of the bike. I appreciate any advice. I am pretty competent with wiring and mechanics. So, with that, I'll be happy to give back as I progress so others can benefit. Grateful to have found this forum!

Best, Mike Z

Welcome to the forum Mike! You can move the controls forward with a set of risers. As for visibility for the rear, Admore makes a great set of lights that fit the rear but I believe it's on a rack. I just added a cheap set of lights from eBay right above the license plate but doesn't add that much more light. I'm sure you know but mods on any bikes are endless and nc700x is no different. It also depends on the type of riding you want to do. A bigger windshield might also help. My recommendation is Madstad. As for seat, it's personal preference but options are out there. Good luck and keep us informed of your progress!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Kumatae! I am going to apologize in advance for asking so many questions....Catholic guilt I guess. I found the admore lights. It looks like a great product. Thanks for the advice on the risers. THe language is kind of new to me. The controls that i want to move forward are the right peg and brake and the left peg. The windshield looks good also. Pretty good guarantee also. Thanks for the tips!

I will absolutely keep you all posted.

I don't know how to move the pegs forward. I have installed some forward pegs on my skid plate and crash bars.
You will find the seat to be horrible and probably the most important change, but picking the right aftermarket one is not easy. Read a lot on here before spending the big bucks.
Welcome back to riding! I rode a little dirt as a young man, but never owned a bike until I was 59.

Here is a short video of some of my mods. I have made a few since then.

Honda NC700x DCT Additions and modifications. Oklahoma Hank. - YouTube

The Honda CTX700 is sort of a cruiser version of this bike, and has forward mounted foot pegs and controls. It may be possible to use/adopt the foot pegs and rear brake pedal setup to an NC. Since you have the DTC, there's no need for gearshift control.

Thanks B_Rub. Wold you by chance have any of the technical details on that mod? I did a quick search but I could not find anything meaningful to help out with that. Thanks very much for the tip!

Hi Hank. A lot of those mods really piqued my interest. You mentioned gravel on the roads in OK. We have as many tourists on the road here in south Florida as you have gravel in OK. So visibility is important. I like the handguards with the running lights and turn signals. The pegs look pretty good too. I had not thought about the seat. I kind of liked the seat on the test rides. But the more that I read here the more I think it will have to be traded out pretty quickly. The video is pretty cool too!

[...Honda CTX700 is sort of a cruiser version of this bike, and has forward mounted foot pegs and controls. It may be possible to use/adopt the foot pegs and rear brake pedal setup to an NC...]

My guess is that the CTX uses welded points with female threads for the forward controls so it's not a simple, bolt-on conversion. You can buy the CTX forward mounted floorboards and brake pedal but mounting them securely might be another matter entirely.

Thanks DirtFlier. That makes a lot of sense. I think that Hank's mod with the pegs mounted on the crash guard might be a good option. Thanks again to all of you for being so helpful!

To be clear, you have to choose running light or turn signal on those lights.
I had them installed by a tech. I do some mechanical work on the bike, but I like to have someone else do anything electrical.

Here are the lights installed.

SW Motech auxiliary turn signals on NC700 - YouTube

There are several other NC700 related videos on my channel.

The extra front lights seem to make a huge difference in visibility to car drivers.

Last edited:
Hello Everyone,

I am just returning to riding after over 25 years away. I made the choice to buy a 2016 NC700X DCT ABS for a lot of reasons.
Welcome from Oregon and congrats on your new bike.

I too had a long hiatus from riding until I was drawn to a Honda showroom with slight interest in a CTX. Being weaned on dirt bikes in my younger days, I immediately disdained its low seat and forward pegs. But lucky for me, a NC' was sitting next to it and it was luv at first sight. I'm on my third NC' now and the romance continues.

Farkling make your bike personal, enjoy!

Ray

Thanks to Hank and NoFear! Totally stoked! I wound up buying this used 2016 at an incredible price. Hank...I am definitely going to add those guards or something similar. Thanks for the encouragement, Ray! It should be here in no time flat.

side view.jpg

...or at least it paces your priorities financially or how much you enjoy installing stuff...

Back