• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

New toy

From your handle, Candystripes327, thought you might be a nurse but see you're an engineer. Welcome from another one.

LOL No, not a nurse, but I have a lot of stories involving them... the name CandyStripes is derived from a racing accident where I jumped the curbing (I call them candy stripes for their alternating colors) and spent a week in the hospital.

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome!

My boyfriend Matt, ToobleKain on here, actually made a video from the footage of the aforementioned crash...
it's here: Sofia--Rise from the Ashes on Vimeo

Sheesh!! Gave me flashbacks of when I went down on my last bike. Spent four days in the hospital. Thankfully I didn't break any bones, but had some nasty road rash on about 10% of my body. Glad you were able to "rise from the ashes".

Lowside, but I was under the bike...

I broke 8 ribs, 4 in 2 places (12 fractures), my collarbone and shoulder blade. And then there was the head injury; KOed for 4min according to the EMTs, 45min of no-memory and concussed (persistent dizziness) for over a month. I hit so hard I cracked the EPS and the Shell of my helmet.

I also collapsed a lung which is what kept me in the hospital so long... I had a chest tube to drain the fluid from the rib fractures... Probably the worst pain was feeling the chest tube scraping against the inside of my ribs... they would give me pain killers but then I would throw up... which really effin hurts when you have broken ribs.

I also had some road rash because I was wearing 2pc zip-together leathers. Since I was KOed sliding face down across the track the belly of the jacked rolled up, exposing the neoprene that attached the zipper to the leather... which immediately evaporated and exposed my stomach. Everything is long since healed, but I have a healthy respect for curbing now.

Last edited:
Lowside, but I was under the bike...

I broke 8 ribs, 4 in 2 places (12 fractures), my collarbone and shoulder blade. And then there was the head injury; KOed for 4min according to the EMTs, 45min of no-memory and concussed (persistent dizziness) for over a month. I hit so hard I cracked the EPS and the Shell of my helmet.

I also collapsed a lung which is what kept me in the hospital so long... I had a chest tube to drain the fluid from the rib fractures... Probably the worst pain was feeling the chest tube scraping against the inside of my ribs... they would give me pain killers but then I would throw up... which really effin hurts when you have broken ribs.

I also had some road rash because I was wearing 2pc zip-together leathers. Since I was KOed sliding face down across the track the belly of the jacked rolled up, exposing the neoprene that attached the zipper to the leather... which immediately evaporated and exposed my stomach. Everything is long since healed, but I have a healthy respect for curbing now.

candystripes that bite back! glad ur riding again.

The messed up thing is... this off made me faster at the track. My first weekend back I dragged knee for the first time... I think I lost my fear of getting hurt because I had the confidence that I would heal... if that makes any sense.

Then again, I have told people that this off knocked some sense out of me.

Not very observant, this one...

+1
Several ladies on this forum sporting the NC700X. I'm on a DCT ABS model.

Hey that isn't fair. I can tell from your name and your picture you are a girl. Chestnuts profile has no picture and gives no clue. There was nothing to observe :D Some women expect men to read minds and have E.S.P.

I just got done talking to my wife about getting a small bike or scooter so we can ride together. She said no. She has no interest in riding at all. She also hates riding on the back. So I'm glad that there are those of you out there who do ride. And it just so happens that I am a VERY observant guy ... :cool:

Last edited:
Wow, amazing bounce back from the crash. That would probably be enough to swear some people off the sport forever. Good on you!
Also really impressed with the boyfriend and the video he made for you. Says a lot!

Welcome!

Life is an adventure, so live it. Ride !!!!!

Hey OCR, welcome back. Glad you are doing ok ;)

I watched candystripes video, that scares me. She just rides way too fast :eek:

When I was a kid I wanted to race motocross so badly, but my parents did not cooperate.
Not sure if that was a good or a bad thing :confused:

[video=youtube;2aw1pVJsnKs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aw1pVJsnKs[/video]

Hey that isn't fair. I can tell from your name and your picture you are a girl. Chestnuts profile has no picture and gives no clue. There was nothing to observe :D Some women expect men to read minds and have E.S.P.

I just got done talking to my wife about getting a small bike or scooter so we can ride together. She said no. She has no interest in riding at all. She also hates riding on the back. So I'm glad that there are those of you out there who do ride. And it just so happens that I am a VERY observant guy ... :cool:

Observation 1: my first post in this thread said welcome from one of the ladies.
2: my profile does include a pic of me. Just not my avatar.

Anyway...
That crash vid is scary, and I only got through half of it. I've had some scary falls off horses, but never really injured and I've never come off the bike at any kind of speed. Not sure I'd be able to get back on after that kind of trauma. Props to you, candy, and glad you were fixable.

Welcome we ride so cal , you will have to join us sometime . We just did a Pala ride for lunch l was fun ! See ya around

I watched candystripes video, that scares me. She just rides way too fast :eek:

It's only too fast when one runs out of skill (as I aptly demonstrated in the video!).

Wow, amazing bounce back from the crash. That would probably be enough to swear some people off the sport forever. Good on you!

I do the whole Risk/Reward analysis after every off... to make sure it's still worth while. The irony with this off... I was in the hospital and my friend Paula asked me if I would ever get back on and I apparently said something to the effect of "I will think about it next time." ...memory of that 'vacation in Palm Springs' is still a little fuzzy.

I spent my whole recovery going through the crash over and over trying to figure out what I did wrong and how to never do it again. I think that getting booted off the bike is how I got fast; you don't realize what you are doing wrong until it bites you... then when you fix it, it inherently makes you faster.

I realize this forum is not a 'Go Fast' forum, but I will be honest... racing has made me a safer rider and driver on the street. Experience is a hard teacher... it gives you the test first and the lesson after. I just hope I live long enough as there is that motorcycling proverb "Learn from other people's mistakes as you won't live long enough to make them all yourself."

Also really impressed with the boyfriend and the video he made for you. Says a lot!

He is definitely a find :D You can't have him!

Wow! Love the Stories.. Welcome from the desert southwest...

Stories are what make life worth doing :) When I am 80, I am going to be an orthopedic train wreck but I full intend on telling my stories ad nauseam!

Props to you, candy, and glad you were fixable.

Thanks Chestnut :) Me too!

Back