• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

New Update to DCT?

mzflorida

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The presenter in this video states that the latest iteration of DCT on the Africa Twin considers lean angle before shifting, eliminating "in-turn" shifts that are controlled by the ECU. Can anyone confirm this as fact and if that is true across all DCT bikes? I cannot find any support for that. I do believe that would be a meaningful improvement.

Last edited:
I’m just trying to understand the need for this. I‘m thinking 1) sometimes you need/want to shift in a corner, and 2) the DCT supposedly shifts smoothly. So why would it matter if the DCT did shift in a corner?

Well, I for one do not care for the shifts that the DCT makes in corners from time to time. If nothing else, I don't want to manage the shift as an information point to consider while cornering. I am pretty sure that it is a common "complaint" about DCT, relying on this forum and other sources to support that position. If this is accurate information, and the update has been applied, I would have to believe that Honda also saw it as a detractor evidenced by their investment in engineering the solution to address the condition. Do you know if the presenter's assertion is correct?

Seems like if that were a problem with the present NC DCT version, you could just run the DCT in manual mode, and you could shift it when you want it to shift.

I doubt Honda could engineer an automated transmission that could please all the people all the time.

I don't believe the 6 axis Bosch black box is interfaced with the DCT to prevent shifting in a corner. The various media reviews of the upgraded ES model mention cornering ABS which is a benefit of 6 axis IMU (BMW and KTM use this Inertial Measurement Unit for cornering ABS and lean sensitive traction control) and some of the reviews mention that Honda tweaked the shift points in gears 1 to 3 to rev a little higher before shifting. Honda provides a press packet for mass media reviewers to make sure the important bullet points get mentioned and it would be a stretch to think not one review mentioned something like an IMU/DCT interface. Honda doesn't even mention it in their technical section pertaining to 2010 and 2021 AT DCT models.

Last edited:
Having gone from a NC700X to a 2020 Africa Twin, I *think* I feel that my AT doesn't shift up nor down while I'm heavily leaned over. I think this is important so that if I'm in a patch of sand/gravel while cornering, a downshift won't kick the rear-wheel RPMs higher and potentially have the bike lose traction. It may all be in my imagination though.

Honda's website says of the AT that the : "a six-axis inertial measurement unit (IMU) makes possible the addition of ... DCT cornering detection ..." and "... a Bosch MM7.10 IMU, which performs real-time six-axis measurement (angle and rate for roll, pitch and yaw) to identify the motorcycle's position and ... enabled improvements in the accuracy of various controls and systems, including shifting..."

Back