• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

New Year's Day brings new Michelin sport touring tire

dduelin

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I saw an ad today advertising that Michelin will release a new sport touring tire on 1/1/22. The Road 5s are two years old now but the Pilot Road series hasn't been updated in 7 years. Hopefully prices will fall on the Road 5s but they will remain in the line up.

Apparently Continental is also offering a new Conti RoadAttack 4 Hyper-touring tire that requires no warm up for maximum traction

Reactions: MZ5
I'm curious to see what Michelin brings, and also what the new Continental is like. The RoadAttack 3 is a very good tire. I wonder where they intend to try to improve it for v.4.

I'm curious to see what Michelin brings, and also what the new Continental is like. The RoadAttack 3 is a very good tire. I wonder where they intend to try to improve it for v.4.

The article I saw was on Motorcycle.com, something about sipe placement and silicone content I think.

Hopefully they will include a Road 5 size for the rear wheel of my X-Adv.

I always assumed the Pilot Road series was superceded by Road 5?
Yes, me too. Contemporary tire reviews of the Road 5 mentioned the bullet points Michelin gave the reviewers to regurgitate, one of which being the Road 5 was a replacement for the Pilot Road series and 'combined performance and mileage along with wet weather capabilities'. Tall order but the Road 5 ticked all those boxes for me.

I guess buyers did not jump from the Pilot Road 4s to Road 5s as expected and a loyal following kept buying the Pilot Road 4 GTs. The non-GT PR4s have been discontinued a while but PR4 GTs are still in the product line up along with R5 GTs and non-GTs.

I have noted that riders have mentioned the R5s did not give them the mileage previous PR4s did and this was a disappointment to them. Perhaps the new tire will go back to a harder compound combined with the way the R5s wrap around and support the soft edge compound so as to increase tire life and not have the weird lumpy wear that previous Pilot Road 3 and 4s had.

Hopefully this new tire brings prices down on Pilot Road 4s and Road 5s or at least blunts supply chain-induced price increases in 2022.

The Road 6 looks to be evolutionary and not revolutionary with claims of increased wet grip and longer life.

Road6.jpg

This is getting to be like Rocky Movies 2.3.4.5.6 lol
The number game marketing scheme must be working. Here we are in the middle of winter talking about Michelin tires and reposting their advertising, just what the company would want.

The number game marketing scheme must be working. Here we are in the middle of winter talking about Michelin tires and reposting their advertising, just what the company would want.
Diabolical isn't that darn capitalism.

Is it a problem to post industry news in this forum or is it just the full color ad?

Diabolical isn't that darn capitalism.

Is it a problem to post industry news in this forum or is it just the full color ad?
It is probably not a problem for a general member to be posting either one, as far as I know. Actual vendors or manufacturers would need to register as such to post advertising, again as far as I know.

Has anyone run any of the tire mfgs GT spec tires on their NCs? Used the Bridgestone T30 GT spec and did not see increased mileage just a very rough ride. I did get higher mileage(mpg& wear) with a 70 ratio instead of the 60(non GT) in the back that also outlasted the front,never had that happen before on any bike. Michelin Pilots are top rated but I went back to Metzeler Roadtec 01 after using Bridgestones T30 GT, T30 EVO, T31. Just wondering what mileage people are getting with the Michelins?

It's prime riding season (...here in southern AZ...), and I actually need a set of tires very soon!
(-:

It's prime riding season (...here in southern AZ...), and I actually need a set of tires very soon!
(-:
My mistake. I need to remain conscious of the current riding conditions in various parts of the world. Actually, it’s been good riding up north for me this winter, however the next six weeks or so might be too cold or snowy for riding.

I was just funnin', NOT serious in any way.
It's distinctly NOT riding season for a huge swath of the board membership.

Back