• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

News Story

Status
Not open for further replies.

mzflorida

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Not something I would do. This is my neck of the woods, a few miles from my house. The level of inattention, impairment, and distraction that is presented by drivers here in South Lee County is insane, and it takes a lot to get me shocked.

Not something I would do. This is my neck of the woods, a few miles from my house. The level of inattention, impairment, and distraction that is presented by drivers here in South Lee County is insane, and it takes a lot to get me shocked.
I don’t know if it is just me but the level of stupidity and aggressive riding and driving this year is very alarming. Seems like after lockdown people really have a death wish.

I don’t know if it is just me but the level of stupidity and aggressive riding and driving this year is very alarming. Seems like after lockdown people really have a death wish.
You know what? That actually could be it. I did not even think of that. Here in Florida, patrons can get alcohol to go from restaurants now. I drink alcohol so I don't know what that looks like. Maybe they are chugging margaritas in the parking lot waiting for their order to be filled. I actually do not understand the whole phone in the hand while driving thing either. I seriously do not get it.

Two (of many) things I learned after 15 years as an ER Trauma Nurse: 1. You can't fix stupid. 2. You can't save people from themselves.
Very true. My good friend was the Trauma Nurse in Charge at the OK City bombing then the tornado. He's now in pediatrics. I'm sure you understand. Appreciate you doing what you do.

Woah I also would never film a motorcyclist living his best life instead of driving my car. People really are going nuts like @Havok said. I've noticed that too.

Now, as for riding without hands on the bars, I would need cruise control for that.

I'm looking forward to the breathless hysteria of local news channels who don't want to investigate or report actually meaningful occurrences in this country blasting segments on reckless bicyclists who ride without holding the handlebars

Talk about making a story out of nearly nothing. Personally I wouldn't do it, but he seemed comfortable with his surroundings, so whatever. Sensationalism is one of journalism's favorite subjects, anything for some ratings and a fill-in story.

I've taken my hands off the bars before, but not for that long. I had a throttle lock on a BMW once and only used it for long highway runs with little to no traffic. But, I would switch hands, always one on the bar. Is he a knucklehead, sure. His choice. At least he isn't doing a 100 MPH weaving in and out of traffic, which is far worse.

The story says, ”The Florida Highway Patrol is warning people to drive safe and not distracted”, and “Troopers said the video, which was filmed by a person in another vehicle also driving on I-75 also caused concern.” The main takaway is don’t be steering your car with your knee while trying to get a video of a motorcyclist in the adjacent lane.

What passes for journalists and news these days is a joke…

I can just see the control freaks in the legislature rubbing their hands together at the prospect of a new bill to curb this threat to society

Hopefully the kiddies in the back seat were appropriately strapped into their rear-facing car seats with head and neck restraints and unable to witness this lawlessness.

Last edited:
Talk about making a story out of nearly nothing. Personally I wouldn't do it, but he seemed comfortable with his surroundings, so whatever. Sensationalism is one of journalism's favorite subjects, anything for some ratings and a fill-in story.

I've taken my hands off the bars before, but not for that long. I had a throttle lock on a BMW once and only used it for long highway runs with little to no traffic. But, I would switch hands, always one on the bar. Is he a knucklehead, sure. His choice. At least he isn't doing a 100 MPH weaving in and out of traffic, which is far worse.
Exactly, and thank you for being so clear on the problems.

I'm an ATGATT guy but I don't support helmet laws. Ride your own ride, as you said, his choice. Would I do what this guy is doing, oh hell no. He is a knucklehead. So is the driver filming from the next car. So is the so-called journalist who made much ado about not much at all. I am far less concerned about this guy than the idiots who wheelie down the Dan Ryan Expressway in Chicago at 80mph or the ones running 100 and weaving thru traffic.

well ... If this guy hits a dip or bump and loses control, he likely involves other cars on the highway. So, it isn't "just him."

I'm fine if people want to be stupid and endanger themselves. Stupidity is a God given right -- but they should be required to carry a card that says they don't get to have hospitals, nurses, doctors and EMTs have to treat them (especially when uninsured). And if they hurt anyone else in the course of their stupidity they pay 3x damages.

I saw a report that traffic accidents and deaths were up across the board for 2020. Motorcycle to a lesser degree but still up from 2019. The theory is with fewer people on the road those who were are driving more recklessly not willing to wait or be inconvenienced by others.

I saw a report that traffic accidents and deaths were up across the board for 2020. Motorcycle to a lesser degree but still up from 2019. The theory is with fewer people on the road those who were are driving more recklessly not willing to wait or be inconvenienced by others.
I need to find some data on this but I think motorcycling has reversed it's decline thanks to people seeking more solo and solo-social hobbies. Not everyone seeks training.

I need to find some data on this but I think motorcycling has reversed it's decline thanks to people seeking more solo and solo-social hobbies. Not everyone seeks training.
I think I read that report. The interesting thing is that the percentage of accidents that were the "fault" of the other driver was also increased and the number of unlicensed motorcyclists increased as well.

BFD. I set the CC and take gloves off, do "baggage re-alignments", unzip tank bag, take a sip of water, all kinds of crap. Is it the smartest thing? Nope. A risk i'm willing to take? Obviously. Long, straight, good roadway surface...have at it. Oh MY GOD, look what that person is doing (that I can't do)! And he's a former COP!
F'n relax. Put the phone down and drive your car. Because one doesn't understand or agree with another's practices does not a valid safety bitch make. Reminds me of the "I would never split traffic" argument. Because you won't do it does not mean you are any less of a rider. Because I do do it, does not make me some insane half-wit with a death wish. If the guy in the video had his feet up on the road pegs and was texting, well, yeah, he's a dip-shit. But a rival to the Zapruder film this is not. Typical NBC though...I expect nothing more of their "journalism".
I would dare say he is operating his vehicle no less safely than the guy with his head turned, phone in hand, filming, not watching the roadway. Context, people.
There was a saying in Austria in the late 30's
If you are caught violating the law by the authorities, you are in trouble.
If you are caught by an Austrian citizen violating the law, you are in BIG trouble.
Everyone needs to take a step back and not look for their 15 minutes of fame at someone else's expense.

So, everyone else needs to take a step back, and YOU get to determine the "dip-shit level"? Texting with feet-up on the road pegs breaks the safety barrier? Thanks. We were all wondering where the line was. Not exactly clear on the connection to the Kennedy assassination conspiracy theories, but there is always room for that somewhere. It is perhaps worth noting that Austria in the late '30's was the cradle and incubator for those charming guys and gals of the Nazi party, so the dapper citizens in brown shirts were no doubt the "BIG" troublemakers! In the ER, we never made fun of guys like this. We gratefully referred to them as "organ donors". Taking this a little personally, aren't we? That isn't by any chance you in the video, is it? Asking for a friend...
BFD. I set the CC and take gloves off, do "baggage re-alignments", unzip tank bag, take a sip of water, all kinds of crap. Is it the smartest thing? Nope. A risk i'm willing to take? Obviously. Long, straight, good roadway surface...have at it. Oh MY GOD, look what that person is doing (that I can't do)! And he's a former COP!
F'n relax. Put the phone down and drive your car. Because one doesn't understand or agree with another's practices does not a valid safety bitch make. Reminds me of the "I would never split traffic" argument. Because you won't do it does not mean you are any less of a rider. Because I do do it, does not make me some insane half-wit with a death wish. If the guy in the video had his feet up on the road pegs and was texting, well, yeah, he's a dip-shit. But a rival to the Zapruder film this is not. Typical NBC though...I expect nothing more of their "journalism".
I would dare say he is operating his vehicle no less safely than the guy with his head turned, phone in hand, filming, not watching the roadway. Context, people.
There was a saying in Austria in the late 30's
If you are caught violating the law by the authorities, you are in trouble.
If you are caught by an Austrian citizen violating the law, you are in BIG trouble.
Everyone needs to take a step back and not look for their 15 minutes of fame at someone else's expense.
er

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back