• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

NM4 Key Duplication

C8Chris

Reaction score
Visit site
Long Story, Short:

The JET-HD117-PH blank for the Honda CBR650F and CBR1000 14+ will work for the US Honda NM4 NC700J. A quality locksmith will need to your original key on the machine, insert the blank mentioned above and cut the new key. It works. I just had it done. The picture of the blank key bag is attached.

Long Story, Long:

I bought a 2015 Honda NM4 used from a dealership in NC. They only had one original key with no keycode tag. Looking at the funky, high security Sidewinder key, I knew if it was ever lost, I'd be in trouble.

I brought my original key to 2 locksmiths and they simply refused. I went to the local Honda motorcycle dealer and they suggested I go to a Honda car dealership, since they had no way to duplicate my key.

I went to a Honda car dealership. They said they could cut a key, but they needed the code. Apparently, they insert a blank, enter the code and the machine cuts the key. The NM4 key "looks" close to the Honda CRV Sidewinder key.

I went back to the Honda motorcycle dealer empty handed. After contacting Honda in California (the mothership), they said that I would need to hand over my original key, provide proof of ownership, provide $90, ship the key off for duplication and wait about 3 weeks. Wasn't crazy about the price, but was even less crazy about shipping my only working key away for 3 weeks. What could wrong?

Got a lead for a quality locksmith and rode out there. He had a Honda Sidewinder key that was close, but didn't work after tracing my original in the machine and cutting it. Have to get the depth, thickness, etc. correct. He said he'd call his supplier for the correct blank and get back with me. Next day, he said it'd cost $35 and I'd need to wait about 3 weeks, which was fine.

I rode the NM4 out today in about 25 degrees and got the duplicate made. Tested it in all of the key holes. It does NOT have a transponder chip in the key. I believe the European models with HISS do HAVE a transponder chip in the key. But I didn't have one of those.

The microfiche calls out all of the locks at $400+, not counting the time and effort to get at all of them. The ignition has special "breakaway" bolts. It might have had a key code on the ignition, but removing it wasn't going to be simple. And I wasn't sure somebody could cut the key with that code anyway. I read a key code off one of the saddlebag tumblers, but it wasn't useful to the locksmith.

Supposedly, the Honda dealership that originally sold the bike (whoever that was) is supposed to keep the keycode on file. Not exactly sure how I'd track them down or if they'd still be in business. Proof of ownership is a simple as providing the title. Finding them (and resolving the problem) is the trickier part.

That was about 3 months of running around. Hopefully, if you run into the same problem, the first two sentences will make you life easier. Find a good locksmith that can cut Sidewinder keys and provide that blank information. It's pretty unlikely they'll have it in stock....

Attachments

• IMG_2060.JPG
    IMG_2060.JPG
    708.1 KB · Views: 23
Quality locksmith is the “key”. Many ACE hardware stores can cut the key......but......might not have the blank.

Honda sells the key blank. Part number.........35121-MGS-A31.........price vary from Honda dealer $14.00 to $20.00
Aftermarket key blanks are far less money.
Not all dealers have the mill style key cutter. Most locksmiths will have the mill cutter.

Several prior post on keys. US market Honda motorcycles are not a chipped key.

Key cutting video that explains the laser and sidewinder terminology.

I was in your situation, down to only one key, then I lost it. Had the motorcycle towed to what is apparently the only quality locksmith left in the city who will work with motorcycles, Lock world, and he got the key made in a couple days, one Honda brand blank and two generics. Surprisingly, the Honda blank was too thick to go into some of the keyholes and had to be ground down.

I just ordered and received a spare Sidewinder key for my 2018 NC750. I supplied the key-code to keys4urride.com and, after a few days and $36.54 (incl. shipping), the spare arrived in the mail. It fits both ignition and frunk and was way less expensive than the $70+ I was quoted by a local locksmith. (I've got no relation to this vendor other than being a satisfied customer.)

Back