No spark

670cc

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Mods
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
It’s pretty amazing that the dealer and American Honda can’t fix a no spark problem.

mtnbiker1185

Reaction score
Visit site
I am still of the recommendation to take it to a different dealer/mechanic.

That is great they have ruled out a broken wire, but have they checked all the simpler things? Like change the spark plug for a known good one? Bypass the engine cutoff switch? Etc? From what I gather from your posts, all they have checked really is for blown fuses and that there were no broken wires. I would not assume that they checked the simple things, nor would I assume that Honda Tech Support asked them if they checked the simple things. I would ask them for a list of everything they have checked just so I could sanity check them, and then take it to a different mechanic and have them start from square one with no knowledge of what the other place already tried.

Edit: After thinking about it some more, when they checked the wires tip-to-tip did they check for power or did they just ohm them out?

Last edited:

foodog38

Reaction score
Visit site
ok, so the latest is still the same hahaha, the dealer was put in touch with some one who is an expert on these types of bikes, I think another two weeks might be in order lol

showkey

Super Mods
Reaction score
Visit site
ok, so the latest is still the same hahaha, the dealer was put in touch with some one who is an expert on these types of bikes, I think another two weeks might be in order lol
Call HONDA directly ( 866)784-1870 be cool and collected.........state the entire story. Be exact with times and dates, people you talked with, days out of service, parts and labor cost to date, be sure to include the American Honda is asking for Japan help ( that’s likely total BS).

Suspect the dealer is lost and either not talking to Honda unable to follow the tech line instructions and test process or just maybe incompetent.

Even the worst dealer could take a known good bike and swap all the parts until it’s fixed in 4 weeks time.
The spark system on the NC is NOT all that complex.

Janus

Reaction score
Visit site
Three months later and no solution.... they should be paying you for wasting your time. This is practically prime riding season!

670cc

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Mods
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I’m with showkey thinking the dealer is lost. The dealer possibly can’t acurately describe the problem symptoms or test results, and when Honda recommends a course of action, the dealer doesn’t follow it to the letter. So, Honda thinks dealer did what was recommended, but dealer possibly didn’t, and the repair process then proceeds on an alternate path, instead of the path that would have resolved the problem.

Switching to a different dealer or service tech is my suggestion.

Alias

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Can you list the dealership name? I don't live in your state but I do ride there from time to time and would hate to end up in that dealers service dept if I encountered a problem.

davidc83

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Southern Indiana/Central Florida-part time snow bi
Visit site
Lemon Law!!!!
I would agree with this; but it depends on if he bought it new, when he bought it, and how many miles is on the bike: motorcycles are covered in NC lemon law (last time I looked, Indiana does not-have to look at it again if I buy another new bike).

The North Carolina Lemon Law, also known as the New Motor Vehicles Warranties Act (N.C.G.S. ... It requires manufacturers to repair defects that affect the use, value, or safety of a new motor vehicle within the first 24 months or 24,000 miles (whichever comes first).

mtnbiker1185

Reaction score
Visit site
Call HONDA directly ( 866)784-1870 be cool and collected.........state the entire story. Be exact with times and dates, people you talked with, days out of service, parts and labor cost to date, be sure to include the American Honda is asking for Japan help ( that’s likely total BS).

Suspect the dealer is lost and either not talking to Honda unable to follow the tech line instructions and test process or just maybe incompetent.

Even the worst dealer could take a known good bike and swap all the parts until it’s fixed in 4 weeks time.
The spark system on the NC is NOT all that complex.
That was my thinking. They could have replaced the entire ignition system by now. Heck, the troubleshooting section for the ignition in the manual is a whopping 1 page long. While I don't recall exactly, the DCT has 12 main components while the manual has 13. It has to be one of them.

showkey

Super Mods
Reaction score
Visit site
Lemon law ........in most states only applies to vehicles in warranty, often excludes RV and motorcycle as well.

Last edited:

jackthebiker

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I picked up my new 2018 Honda NC 750X with 17 miles on it at Team Motorsports in Depere Wisconsin in Janruary. I rode it 58 miles 4 days ago and 52 miles yesterday. (Its still in the 40 degrees around here) Today I go to ride it again and it spins over great but won't start. They will be driving 92 miles to pick it up on Monday. Sounds like a similar problem. Good thing my trouble free 2019 Road King with 15000 miles on it started right up so I still got a ride in. To bad I sold my trouble free 2015 Triumph Bonneville T100 to buy this Honda. :mad: