• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Question No swingarm spool threads? Come on Honda.

salishmoto

Reaction score
Visit site
So I change the oil tonight and when I go to look for the usual threaded place on the swingarm that accepts the spool for the rear lift, there are no threads!! You're kidding me? Bike doesn't come with a center stand, and doesn't even come with a threaded hole to put in spools so you can use your lift? It made lifting the rear a real pain and sketchy. I had to use the fittings that are for the front forks and use them on the rear, which is a less stable and strong way to do it. Come on Honda. I've owned several Yamaha and Kawasaki, and every one has had the center stand or threads for spools. Rassmfrassm. I'm getting a center stand as soon as I can, but in the meantime, Rassmfrassm.

Maybe it was designed that way with the hope that you will buy their center stand......Hmmmm
Likely enough. Again, rassmfrassm. I mean literally, what do people do who aren't really mechanical besides take their bikes into shops for all service? I even have the damn stands and can't use them effectively on it. I read other threads on this forum about this and people throw up their hands and do creative work arounds, and of course install the center stand, but this is an ancient motorcycle problem that was solved decades ago with a simple threaded hole. I'll stop ranting. Center stand was ordered tonight.

The topic of spools very rarely comes up on this forum. People just buy the center stand (which probably everyone would agree should have been standard equipment). There has never been a formal poll, but I sense that more people than not on the forum do their own service work. Having the stand sold separately is just a game Honda plays to extract a little extra money from the customer.

Since the center stand is not standard equipment, the Honda owner’s manual is written for service as performed on the side stand. The main thing to note is the drive chain slack specification assumes the suspension is partly compressed on the side stand. We have learned, for ‘12-‘20 NCX models, to add 5mm to the slack when chain adjustment is made on the center stand to compensate for the swingarm angle. No discussion has yet taken place regarding chain slack specs on the shorter suspended ‘21+ NCX models.

Likely enough. Again, rassmfrassm. I mean literally, what do people do who aren't really mechanical besides take their bikes into shops for all service? I even have the damn stands and can't use them effectively on it. I read other threads on this forum about this and people throw up their hands and do creative work arounds, and of course install the center stand, but this is an ancient motorcycle problem that was solved decades ago with a simple threaded hole. I'll stop ranting. Center stand was ordered tonight.
My rear stand is of the "paddle" style instead of the "spool" style. A little finicky to set up and probably a bit less stable than spools, but it works pretty well for me.
I've also seen a few varieties of bracket you add to the axle/adjusters to add spools, but I'm not sure how well they work.

The aftermarket has come to the rescue. No experience with these myself but there is an option.

My rear pit stand has paddles so I used it until I bought the center stand.

The aftermarket has come to the rescue. No experience with these myself but there is an option.

My rear pit stand has paddles so I used it until I bought the center stand.
I saw those from Trex and though a clever solution, they are most of the price of an OEM center stand. I passed. I removed the spool attachments from my rear stand put on the two pronged that is meant to support the forks. In effect it is a flat platform. It worked, but those items are not meant to go into the rear stand and the holes are too big and give some play. My 21 owners manual only says to check oil after you bring the bike up to vertical. I realized later the drain plug is on the left side and I could have drained the oil without lifting the bike. But you'd have less space.

If you would like rear spool deals, T Rex racing has units that are designed for this bike. They are little boxes that fit over the swing arms. Another option if you want to stick it to big Red.

I saw those from Trex and though a clever solution, they are most of the price of an OEM center stand. I passed. I removed the spool attachments from my rear stand put on the two pronged that is meant to support the forks. In effect it is a flat platform. It worked, but those items are not meant to go into the rear stand and the holes are too big and give some play. My 21 owners manual only says to check oil after you bring the bike up to vertical. I realized later the drain plug is on the left side and I could have drained the oil without lifting the bike. But you'd have less space.
Yes, the price is what made me decide to get the OEM center stand. It is with me wherever I go if I need it. At $125 it is not as expensive as some of the aftermarket center stands.

For others interested, one of many good sources in the USA for the 2021-2022 NC750X mainstand would be procaliber.com (Vancouver, WA), selling at $113.36, free shipping. I'm not sure whether they collect sales tax. I have purchased from them several times and received good service.

08M70-MKW-D00
KIT,MAIN STAND(LD)
MSRP: $125.95 Dealer Price: $113.36

rockymountainatvmc.com is generally even lower priced, but they don't show the mainstand on their web site. With a phone call you could probably get a price.

Last edited:
For others interested, one of many good sources in the USA for the 2021-2022 NC750X mainstand would be procaliber.com (Vancouver, WA), selling at $113.36, free shipping. I'm not sure whether they collect sales tax. I have purchased from them several times and received good service.

08M70-MKW-D00
KIT,MAIN STAND(LD)
MSRP: $125.95 Dealer Price: $113.36

rockymountainatvmc.com is generally even lower priced, but they don't show the mainstand on their web site. With a phone call you could probably get a price.
I'm glad to learn about procaliber, especially since they are so close to me, but that center stand is impossible to find. I even put in the part number you so helpfully supplied and it doesn't even show up as an option. I'm sure it's there somewhere, but I live online ordering stuff and their site doesn't show it after searching lots of ways. I've already ordered one from fleabay, but will use these guys for future parts if I can find them on their site!

I'm glad to learn about procaliber, especially since they are so close to me, but that center stand is impossible to find. I even put in the part number you so helpfully supplied and it doesn't even show up as an option. I'm sure it's there somewhere, but I live online ordering stuff and their site doesn't show it after searching lots of ways. I've already ordered one from fleabay, but will use these guys for future parts if I can find them on their site!
I understand the parts availability problem. If you order from a dealer, like Procaliber, they in turn probably have to order from Honda, and who knows what the stock is. An eBay seller that claims to have product in hand would be a safer bet if you want the item quickly.

BTW, the Honda center stand part number can be seen under it’s details on the accessories tab on Honda’s US site. http://powersports.honda.com/street/adventure/nc750x/accessories?year=2021 I put that number in procaliber’s site search and what I posted above in post #13 is copy/pasted results from the procaliber site.

My personal opinion is that the center stand is best bought from Honda, but the aftermarket is a better source for other add-ons.

So I change the oil tonight and when I go to look for the usual threaded place on the swingarm that accepts the spool for the rear lift, there are no threads!! You're kidding me? Bike doesn't come with a center stand, and doesn't even come with a threaded hole to put in spools so you can use your lift? It made lifting the rear a real pain and sketchy. I had to use the fittings that are for the front forks and use them on the rear, which is a less stable and strong way to do it. Come on Honda. I've owned several Yamaha and Kawasaki, and every one has had the center stand or threads for spools. Rassmfrassm. I'm getting a center stand as soon as I can, but in the meantime, Rassmfrassm.
Buy a center stand, it's a hell of a lot more handy and less hassle to use than a paddock stand, and it's not in the way when removing the rear wheel.

They also make rear paddock stands for bikes without spools, I had one for an older sportbike I had that also didn't have spools.

I'm sure they didn't make it with spools because of how the rear swingarm is designed. It's a hollow, square tube design, unlike solid cast swingarms on sportbikes that have the threaded tabs for spools.

Last edited:
I'm sure they didn't make it with spools because of how the rear swingarm is designed. It's a hollow, square tube design, unlike solid cast swingarms on sportbikes that have the threaded tabs for spools.
My Ninja 300 also has a hollow box swingarm. There are two welded-on threaded lugs on the underside to accept spools.
I'm guessing it's a combination of "spools are for sportbikes" and Honda not wanting to add the extra manufacture step of welding on the lugs.

My Ninja 300 also has a hollow box swingarm. There are two welded-on threaded lugs on the underside to accept spools.
I'm guessing it's a combination of "spools are for sportbikes" and Honda not wanting to add the extra manufacture step of welding on the lugs.
You're probably right! And as mentioned earlier, I'm sure it has a lot to do with the fact that you can add a center stand to it, eliminating the need for paddock stands.

Back