• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Question No swingarm spool threads? Come on Honda.

You're probably right! And as mentioned earlier, I'm sure it has a lot to do with the fact that you can add a center stand to it, eliminating the need for paddock stands.
Definitely.
In my experience, sportbikes use paddock stands, most other bikes use centre stands.
And Harleys live up on a motorcycle jack in an eternal state of repair... :p

Definitely.
In my experience, sportbikes use paddock stands, most other bikes use centre stands.
And Harleys live up on a motorcycle jack in an eternal state of repair... :p
YES!!! Having used paddock stands on several sportbikes, center stands on both my NC's, and having owned 1 (first and last) Harley - I much prefer the center stand on the NC! And if the front end needs work, a cheap small floor jack or a few blocks of wood stacked up under the front of the engine and you can remove everything completely, including forks....whereas with paddock stands, you would need a triple tree lift stand to remove the forks from most bikes.

This is clearly Honda's way of keeping the base price on the NC's lower. That $113 + labor could raise the MSRP they show on this bike too high, compared to the competition.
I have an old, heavy duty Power Stands stand that had adjustable pads that lifted the swingarms on my old Ninja 250R. But it weighs a ton and if it worked on my NC's I'd still have added the centerstand.

I don't like center stands on my bikes so I'm glad it didn't come with one. I just use the paddle-style stand.

I agree though I feel like spool holes shouldn't be that hard to include. I'd pick up the T-rex ones if I didn't do the swingarm swap instead.

I don't like center stands on my bikes so I'm glad it didn't come with one. I just use the paddle-style stand.
I'm also in this camp. I'd rather get a bike a few hundred cheaper without the centre stand than pay for something I'm likely to use relatively infrequently and probably feel like it's in the way more often than I find it useful. Especially since my Ninja 300 would be silly with a centre stand (in my mind) so I'm still going to have paddock stands anyway.

I'm also in this camp. I'd rather get a bike a few hundred cheaper without the centre stand than pay for something I'm likely to use relatively infrequently and probably feel like it's in the way more often than I find it useful. Especially since my Ninja 300 would be silly with a centre stand (in my mind) so I'm still going to have paddock stands anyway.

I agree though I feel like spool holes shouldn't be that hard to include. I'd pick up the T-rex ones if I didn't do the swingarm swap instead.

I’m just curious; how does chain maintenance work out on a long trip using the side stand only? Or do you not take long trips? If the NC was shaft or belt drive, I wouldn’t be as concerned about having a center stand as no final drive maintenance would be due when away from home/paddock stand.

I’m just curious; how does chain maintenance work out on a long trip using the side stand only? Or do you not take long trips? If the NC was shaft or belt drive, I wouldn’t be as concerned about having a center stand as no final drive maintenance would be due when away from home/paddock stand.
Or a flat on the rear out on the highway someplace far from home

I've got 2 small kids at home now, so I don't have the opportunity for long trips any more. Hopefully again soon.
When I did, I just did everything with the wheels on the ground. Same as I did for the few years before I got my paddock stands. Everything is possible, just less convenient.
Clean/oil chain -> the classic "spray, roll, spray, roll, spray, roll..."
Slack adjust -> works fine with the wheels on the ground, especially considering the slack measurement is given "on the side stand"
Flats -> never had a bike tire go flat on me, but I've gummy-wormed and inflated plenty of car tires without taking them off the car. Seems to me it would be even easier on a bike since you don't have that pesky wheel well restricting access.

Everything is certainly less convenient without a stand, but I can't think of anything I'd need to do where the rear wheel would absolutely have to come off the ground.
Of course, changing a tire would need the wheel off the ground, but if I was getting a tire, I expect the same place that sold me the tire would have the required stands to remove the wheel and change the tire.

Preferring the convenience of always having the centre stand to make these tasks easier is a very valid viewpoint, especially if you are frequently travelling and have to do all of this on the road often, so please don't interpret anything I'm saying as trying to invalidate your opinions.

I've got 2 small kids at home now, so I don't have the opportunity for long trips any more. Hopefully again soon.
When I did, I just did everything with the wheels on the ground. Same as I did for the few years before I got my paddock stands. Everything is possible, just less convenient.
Clean/oil chain -> the classic "spray, roll, spray, roll, spray, roll..."
Slack adjust -> works fine with the wheels on the ground, especially considering the slack measurement is given "on the side stand"
Flats -> never had a bike tire go flat on me, but I've gummy-wormed and inflated plenty of car tires without taking them off the car. Seems to me it would be even easier on a bike since you don't have that pesky wheel well restricting access.

Everything is certainly less convenient without a stand, but I can't think of anything I'd need to do where the rear wheel would absolutely have to come off the ground.
Of course, changing a tire would need the wheel off the ground, but if I was getting a tire, I expect the same place that sold me the tire would have the required stands to remove the wheel and change the tire.

Preferring the convenience of always having the centre stand to make these tasks easier is a very valid viewpoint, especially if you are frequently travelling and have to do all of this on the road often, so please don't interpret anything I'm saying as trying to invalidate your opinions.
I understand. If I was not traveling far from home, I would be less inclined to insist on a center stand. My Zero has no center stand. The only time I would ever use the stand is to replace the tires, an infrequent job, and I can rig up ways at home to do so without the center stand.

It has been a few years since I was able to take any long trips but the trips I have taken didn't need any special maintenance.
I live in the city and most of my trips are in the 300-mile range for the last couple of years.

I've been lucky with flats only once but I don't need a stand to patch a tire on the road and if I couldn't patch it I wouldn't be replacing it on the side of the road.

For the handful of times, it would have been useful it would have been an eyesore on my bike 99% of the time.

But I realize for a lot of riders on this forum their NC is more about function, comfort, and utility. I care more about how my bike looks and making it mine. If I lived where a lot of you guys do I'd be more into decking it out to be more rugged but in the city it just doesnt make sense so I made mine more sport looking.

Back