• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Nobody will patch my tire!!

Therapy

Reaction score
Visit site
SO.
I have a new
oops, I mean Michelin Pilot Road 4 with two small holes from some sort of staple that has less than 50 miles on it. Just.................DANG!!!

I put two plugs in it and it holds air just fine but since the Dragon meet is coming I decided I just did not want chance the inconvenience of problems on those days of riding. So I got another and the younger son helped me put it on. Man are those beads hard to pop!!

I cannot find anyone that will put a patch in the tire. I guess they just can't take the risk of a lawyer visiting. Are they just quoting that one time one went flat again is there a real history of failures?

I know motorcycle tires flex more than car tires but I have plugged my pickup tires and run another 20k (and more) miles till worn out more than once.

What is the real truth about plugging MCY tires?
What is the real truth about patching MCY tires?

Thanks.

Oh, Did I say DANG???!!!?!?!?!?

Last edited:
SO.
I have a new Dunlop Pilot Road 4 with two small holes from some sort of staple that has less than 50 miles on it. Just.................DANG!!!

I put two plugs in it and it holds air just fine but since the Dragon meet is coming I decided I just did not want chance the inconvenience of problems on those days of riding. So I got another and the younger son helped me put it on. Man are those beads hard to pop!!

I cannot find anyone that will put a patch in the tire. I guess they just can't take the risk of a lawyer visiting. Are they just quoting that one time one went flat again is there a real history of failures?

I know motorcycle tires flex more than car tires but I have plugged my pickup tires and run another 20k (and more) miles till worn out more than once.

What is the real truth about plugging MCY tires?
What is the real truth about patching MCY tires?

Thanks.

Oh, Did I say DANG???!!!?!?!?!?

The reality is that most shops won’t plug motorcycle tires.

I do patch and plug tires, as long as the puncture is small, round, and not near the sidewall. In fact, I’ve bought used tires twice from forum members in the same situation as you - nearly new tires with a minor puncture wound. I’ve installed a Stop N Go internal patch/plug, which I have full faith and confidence in, and ran the tire until the tread was worn out. The internal patch/plug device is both a plug that extends through the hole, and a patch glued to the inside surface of the tire.

If you don’t find a suitable solution to your tire problem, don’t discard it. I would probably buy the tire from you. You could bring it to KSL and save on shipping. I think we’ll both be there with trucks and trailers.

There are many riders who would never use a patched or plugged tire, and that’s fine, too. I believe in the patch/plug in certain situations, and I’m fine with a repaired tire.

Patched the way you described as long as you maintain proper air pressure (as you should anyway) I don't imagine any problems.

Not on my NC, but on my cbr500 I've gotten two patches done. Cost me about 30 bucks to get it patched from the inside. Never had a problem with it.

I’ve had two occasions over the years to patch tires on a Road King (more weight, obviously) and both held up just fine for the life of the tire. It all depends on where the hole is on the tire and how much damage was done to the INSIDE of the tire. Assuming those questions are answered satisfactorily, a proper patch job should be fine. The issue is finding a dealer to do it. (Unless doing it yourself is an option) As has been said, most will likely take a pass just to avoid liability - whether they sell you another tire or not.

Full disclosure: I was in the tire business for 20 years. Repairing all manner of tires along the way. If done properly - no sweat.

Last edited:
I have patched car tires several times with no problems. Tires went until the wear bars just like the other three.
While I have never patched a motorcycle tire, I would not hesitate.
It's just that, with Ride-On, I'd not know I had a hole. :cool:

WHEW!
Thanks all.

The patch-plug combo would not work as the holes are less than 1/2 in apart. Two plugs that almost touch on the inside is what I have. I can see that the plugs look like a mushroom cap on the inside. I think I will save it and use it next with more confidence than I had when posting this.

I lived in CA for a few years and I have never had so much trouble with tires on my motorcycle in my entire life as the short time I lived there. I had bought a new DL1000 which was a good commuter bike if you can drain the lead from your right wrist and I was putting a lot of miles on the road every day commuting so a bike was perfect. Brand new bike and didn't have a couple hundred miles on it and had a screw puncture the rear tire. Motorcycle shops wouldn't plug it. So I had to buy another tire. Didn't have 1500 miles on the new rear tire and picked up a nail and again I couldn't get a motorcycle shop to plug it. Picked up a screw or nail in the front tire with only a few thousand miles on it, but this time I managed to find a local tire place that didn't even do motorcycle stuff to plug it for me. He had to read me the riot act about how he wasn't responsible for anything that might happen to me because of the plugged tire... It was insane. None of them were near the side wall, but it seems few are willing to accept the "risk" of plugging a tire. I never had an issue with the plugged tire. So if you can find a place that plugs tires that can take a look at it they can tell you if it looks doable. If not your out nothing for having them look.

My experience is similar to what others have described. I got a small screw in the centre of my rear tire after a month of ownership. I read about the pros and cons of plugging the tire. Watched many youtube videos on how it was done. I was nervous so I took it to a local shop to be done. They were straight forward that they would do the work but would not be responsibly if there was an issue. I wanted to see how it was done in person so paid the $30. I think I could do what the shop did. Never had a problem with the plug. Replaced the tire when it wore out. I have a plug kit now and would do it myself next time it happens with a similar location on the tire.

Most small auto tire shops will vulcanize the tire for you, if you carry the motorcycle tire only off bike to the tire shop. Most times cost is about $10 per tire...

Last edited:
Why not go for the "Belt & Braces (Suspenders)" option?

Fit your plugs and then install some tire sealant which will take care of any leaks, should they occur

I had a similar issue on a PR4 and patched it myself. I rode it for another 10K. The puncture on my tire was not in the dead center of the tire but offset to the left side in an area that is still heavily used on corners. I'm not saying it is safe or even recommending a person do this, I'm just saying that I did without any issues for a long period of time.

Back