• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

NOISE !! High Pitched Whistling/squeeky

Jay Fridays

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
About 2500 miles into my bike, I started noticing a whistle like, squeaky, chirpy kind of noise coming from, what I think is, behind the radiator or engine area. It only happens when the bike is in gear and I am about 12-15 mph or faster.

Of course I can't hear it when I get much faster cause of the wind, but I assume it's still there. When the bike is in neutral, the sound is absent at any RPM. After my last oil change/tune up at about 4000 miles, it seemed to have stopped for a day or so, but then came back. I don't know what it is?!?!? It's not super loud, or seem like it's affecting anything; but it's kind of annoying me....

Anyone have any comments/experience/suggestions about this ?!?
:confused:

Last edited:
No, not the trunk. I think it is lower than that. Like from the engine. just behind the radiator. I think I explained the location badly in my original question.

Same thing going on with mine.taking it to mother Honda this weekend.been told maybe chain to tight.i think someone else had this problem.they were told all ok.its a wine at about 25 mph.will find out Fri or Sat.

Same thing going on with mine.taking it to mother Honda this weekend.been told maybe chain to tight.i think someone else had this problem.they were told all ok.its a wine at about 25 mph.will find out Fri or Sat.

I found this and some other posts about the noise in the FOR SALE section...lol.

Maybe you can suggest some of these things to your mechanic:

1. nc700x parts for sale
Hi everbody selling my nc cant stand the noise coming from the fork tunnelmy dealer says its the nature of the bike either i live with it or dont...

2.Has to be the Air box intake noise... I like it............

3.hi its a whooshing type of noise people have said it also sounds like a wheel bearing type noise it really bugs me i cant go for a slow ride in the countryside without it spoiling it for me i've had loads of bikes over the years but never had this type of noise

4.It's the front tire and he's correct you can't do anything about it.

5.No a real issue is something you can't fix with a $150 tire....

6.hi, its not induction noise, switched the engine off when the noise appears, still there,so i think it may be tyre noise amplified by the fairing my honda. dealer says a few people have complaned off it he says you either adjust to it or not i cant. thanks paul.

LET US KNOW WHAT HAPPENS !!!

Mahalo !!
:)

Last edited:
I get a squeaky, chirpy kind of noise on my bike, but its not the bike. I don't know what it is exactly, but something on my full face helmet whistles at certain speeds. Only way I figured it out was the whistle doesn't happen if I wear my open face helmet. I've tried putting my hand over the vents and the whistle is still there, I've tried tilting my head and the whistle is still there, but if I turn my head fully sideways, it goes away.
At any rate good luck with tracking down the cause.

Bob

I get really LOUD whistles sounds like it is coming from behind me, but that's when i ride naked, dont know what it could be.

Well, I just took her out for a little ride... I didn't cut the engine off, but the noise does go away when the throttle is released. So it's not the tire or fork vibrations....

Have you tried looking at your tach when you get the whistle, then stopping, shifting into neutral or pulling in the clutch, and running the engine at the same rpm while stopped? If so does it still whistle?

Bob

I get a whine at 3k rpm. Doesn't bother me though. Between my ear plugs and music being sent to my headset I just roll with it.

Have you tried looking at your tach when you get the whistle, then stopping, shifting into neutral or pulling in the clutch, and running the engine at the same rpm while stopped? If so does it still whistle?

Bob

Yes, and the tach doesn't make a difference, The dct is constantly around 2k until I reach higher gears. The noise starts at around 10-15 mph and goes from there.
Again, I have the DCT, so I can't go into neutral while rolling. However, There is no noise at any RPM when the bilke is revved in neutral while stopped. And at any speed or gear, the noise stops when I release the throttle. So it's only when I am in gear, moving, and holding the throttle, I get that whistling/whispy/chirpy/sqeak....

I'm sure there are better diagnosticians on the forum than I, but it sounds like you can rule out the front end since the loads on it don't really change between steady throttle and coasting. The engine sounds unlikely since it should make the same noise regardless of whether or not you're in gear, so I would concentrate on the transmission, chain rubbing on something, or other rear end bearings or components. If you have a center stand you could try putting the bike on the stand and put the bike in gear (if the DCT allows that), and see if you still get the noise. If you try that, do it gently. If the bike gets knocked off the stand while in gear you'll be having a really bad day. If you can do this and if the whistle occurs, it should be a lot easier to find the source.

Bob

Thanks Spaceteach.. That makes sense about not being the tire or front end. I am shitty at auto diagnosis though. I am a licensed electrical contractor...lol. I can build the hell out of an electrical distribution systems, wire a new school, housing complexes, or a hospital; However, I know very little about auto-mechanics...lol

I pretty much thought it had to be the transmission, or some intake/exhaust issue. I don't have the center-stand, or I would try that. Question though: When the throttle is released, isn't the chain still spinning? I think it would be. I am curious, and without the stand, I can't tell....

I guess I will be mentioning this to the dealer on my next service and have them take a look at it. I just spent so much on mods, I don't want to buy the center-stand right now.

That's why I am EAGERLY awaiting the response from Ziggy about his trip to the dealer.

The chain is still spinning while coasting, but any tension is on the bottom of the chain. Under acceleration or even steady state throttle, any tension is on the top run. In other words when you apply throttle, the chain above the swing arm is tight and the chain below is loose. When you let off the throttle and the engine is giving you some braking effect, the bottom is tight and any slack is on the top.
I think if the noise was intake or exhaust related you would hear it at certain engine rpm regardless of whether the bike was moving or not. While I could be wrong, I think intake or exhaust issues are highly unlikely in this case.

Bob

Incidentally yesterday we took out all our bicycles coz sun finally came to this side of the Earth, and my daughter's (she's 6) has a squeak which I cannot find.

For the NC, just ride with ear plugs and enjoy the scenary.
Live to ride....don't worry too much.
:D

"The chain is still spinning while coasting, but any tension is on the bottom of the chain. Under acceleration or even steady state throttle, any tension is on the top run."
I see... Thanks for the bite of knowledge.... Ok, well, now we are narrowing the mine field down a little bit...

And there you go... a good example of why I will stick to my Klein hand tools, and Dewalt drills; and let the auto-guys work on my vehicles...lol. But I will hopefully be a doctor soon, and be able to hire someone else for all of it....lol

I have a feeling I am gonna get a lot of mechanic knowledge/experience from joining this Forum.... I'm STOKED about that..... I thank everyone in advance for sharing their acquired knowledge.....

;) ....MAHALO !!!

ps... I thank you Happy, and the other suggesters of ear plugs; However, I want to find the issue, not cover it up. Although, I do see how this would be GREAT as a parenting strategy...LmFaO !! This one sounds mechanical. Maybe it's bad, maybe it's just the sound that it makes... but I'd like to find the source.

So.. um...ya, no more earplug suggestions please... unless it's about sticking the earplugs somewhere in the NC's drivetrain...lol

Last edited:
Ok all is good.its normal chain and sproket noise.with bike being new it will be louder as time goes things will break in.i also did a test.road down road pull clutch turn bike off.noise still there this is how they showed me to tell if motor or other.check slack often.and they said chain should be tighten even 500 miles.if not in spec.he said his bike does the same thing.

Back