• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

North to Alaska

scncx

Reaction score
Visit site
I must be out of my mind but im putting together a month long ride to Soldotna Ak. A high school buddy and I are wanting to go see a school buddy up there. Iv drove it once and all the way all I could think is it would be awesome on a bike. If anyone out in NC land is interested we are looking at May 15 2017.

My oldest son lives in Soldotna. Sure whish I could come along. I'd struggle getting two weeks off back to back let alone a month. Enjoy the trip.

OCR, are you going all the way up to Prudhoe bay again? I was thinking about trying to do that ride next year and was thinking it would be wise to go with another rider, preferably one who has already done it.

-Tom

OCR, are you going all the way up to Prudhoe bay again? I was thinking about trying to do that ride next year and was thinking it would be wise to go with another rider, preferably one who has already done it.

-Tom

The Prudhoe Bay ride must be done in Mid May to Mid July, otherwise rain rain and lots of mud. Once you pass White Horse between May and July, very small chance of snow. However, I have been in 2 feet of snow in July in the mountains just before Toad. And a few years back the entire haul road was washed away a few days before I got there, so changed plans and went up to Dawson City and Chicken.

I have two operations this next month, 100% knee replacement and dental work. So it will be at least March before I will be able to ride again.

I am sitting at honda dealership right now, waiting on truck to arrive with my new Africa Twin. I have high hopes to be riding again by March. At that time a few of us are off to South America, the furthest palace south in South America.
We should be back about May or June.

I really want to head to South Africa from South America, but still don't know if I can pull off a around the world trip right now. So, if I do not head out around the world to Africa, Spain, France, etc, Alaska would be an idea. I really just do not know anything yet. The first couple of operations went 100% perfect, but who knows what lies ahead!

Last edited:
If you want someone to break in your ATwin,
I am one post away.
We want pics, nevertheless!

The Prudhoe Bay ride must be done in Mid May to Mid July, otherwise rain rain and lots of mud. Once you pass White Horse between May and July, very small chance of snow. However, I have been in 2 feet of snow in July in the mountains just before Toad. And a few years back the entire haul road was washed away a few days before I got there, so changed plans and went up to Dawson City and Chicken.

I have two operations this next month, 100% knee replacement and dental work. So it will be at least March before I will be able to ride again.

I am sitting at honda dealership right now, waiting on truck to arrive with my new Africa Twin. I have high hopes to be riding again by March. At that time a few of us are off to South America, the furthest palace south in South America.
We should be back about May or June.

I really want to head to South Africa from South America, but still don't know if I can pull off a around the world trip right now. So, if I do not head out around the world to Africa, Spain, France, etc, Alaska would be an idea. I really just do not know anything yet. The first couple of operations went 100% perfect, but who knows what lies ahead!

Is there a best? For a rear, short of something like big block knobbies i'd recommend the Mitas E-07 as a great all-arounder, paired with a big block knobby like the Continental TKC 80 on front. Or are you really looking at something that's less competent off pavement?

Last edited by a moderator:
If you want someone to break in your ATwin,
I am one post away.
We want pics, nevertheless!

I wanted to be like "Mike". So, this old dog got a lesson about DCT yesterday. Parked on what I thought was the top of a hill incline yesterday. Put down kickstand, got off the bike, even checked sidestand to make sure the dirt was solid, and started walking down hill incline to help someelse. DCT lesson #1, put on bike parking brake. After walking about 15 feet away from bike, the DCT bike just started following me down the hill. Before I could get back to the grab the bike, it fell over. Other good folks did help me pick the bike up. So, now I have a decal scratch just like Mike's.

In the middle of putting on accessories, so once I am done I will send you pics. Also, in a bit of a hurry with putting on the LONE STAR RALLY this weekend. Now known as the largest weekend rally in the country, this Texas size party is truly for those who live life wide open and ride hard. Seems like just yesterday that 8 of us dealers started this little Texas size party. I'll be beyond a little busy from Thursday to Sunday this week!

As for tires for Alaska, if you plan to ride the haul road (Dalton Hwy.) I would reccommend Continental TKC 80 tires on front and rear.

Last edited:
I'm heading back up in early June or late may,destination Dawson city for the D2D "rally". I'm not sure the NC is the bike to ride up there,mostly because of the crap suspension. The alcan would be torture on stock suspension. Anyway......probably hit up Tok again and the cassier. My bike is lowered and my planned trip back to Mexico may be problematic due to potential bottoming out on the topes.

Last edited:
I know a guy that has made 2 trips to Alaska on his NC700X. He works the parts counter for QC Moto in Springfield MO. He has some great stories. Rides a Triumph Explore 1200 now but says the NC700 was a great bike.

Back