• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Not Mine, But Garmin Zumo For Sale On Ebay.

I upgraded from my Zumo 396 to the XT - big difference in being able to see details in any condition (especially with my old eyes).
The Zumo 396 (I own one) is terrible at showing detail, and it doesn’t label your saved points on the map. Often the map space is mostly blank instead of showing secondary roads. You cannot configure it for high map detail. The Garmin models from 10+ years ago were better units, in my opinion. I’ve stocked up on the older ones. I haven’t tried the XT.

The Zumo 396 (I own one) is terrible at showing detail, and it doesn’t label your saved points on the map. Often the map space is mostly blank instead of showing secondary roads. You cannot configure it for high map detail. The Garmin models from 10+ years ago were better units, in my opinion. I’ve stocked up on the older ones. I haven’t tried the XT.
What older Garmin units are you stocking up on? I have used successive Garmin units since 1996 and run a couple of 396s now. I have a Zumo 550 on the NC now but I'm getting ready to retire it having repaired the buttons twice.

What older Garmin units are you stocking up on? I have used successive Garmin units since 1996 and run a couple of 396s now. I have a Zumo 550 on the NC now but I'm getting ready to retire it having repaired the buttons twice.
In addition to my Zumo 396, I have a Zumo 220, a Nuvi 500, and three Nuvi 550s. All of the latter have the same form factor, mounts, replaceable batteries, IPX7 water rating. Only the Zumos have bluetooth verbal turn instructions, but I don’t use that anyway. The screens are somewhat small and the brightness could stand to be a little brighter, but what I really like is the fine map detail and ease with which I create routes right on the GPS. Every road that exists, down to the smallest gravel forest roads, can be seem on the map on the 0.8 mile scale. The pan/zoom is fairly quick and fluid. The software also handles the “checking off” of waypoints well, and rerouting when I deviate from the planned route is good. There are software quirks that annoy me, but I learn to work around or live with them.

I have not used a Zumo 550, but I suspect it is a good unit for motorcycle use. I don’t really care for my 396; it resides permanently on my Goldwing since it is the bike I‘m least likely to use for exploring backroads.

I run a Nuvi 50 in my truck, which is old enough to not have nav in the dash lol.

I used a Tom Tom 1 on my ST 1300 which I still have and put into use on the NC as an experiment and it works fine, I guess. I tried using my iphone but found it unsatisfactory due to vibrations. I hate electronics. I think GPS's are fine for finding a specific spot going the fastest way but not very good for the routes I want to take. I mostly use written directions.

I run a Nuvi 50 in my truck, which is old enough to not have nav in the dash lol.

I used a Tom Tom 1 on my ST 1300 which I still have and put into use on the NC as an experiment and it works fine, I guess. I tried using my iphone but found it unsatisfactory due to vibrations. I hate electronics. I think GPS's are fine for finding a specific spot going the fastest way but not very good for the routes I want to take. I mostly use written directions.
Sort of repeating what I wrote earlier but with more detail, on the older GPS models I mainly use, I may select a final destination, then I pan around the map for interesting points that are not the fastest or direct. I just touch points along a road or intersection, then add them as a ”via” on the route. In a minute or two I have created a custom route right on the GPS that perhaps avoids interstate highways and adds interesting roads. If I change my mind while I’m riding and go a different way, the GPS instantly recognizes that I’m off route and recalculates a new route to the next waypoint. It also recognizes that I came close enough to a waypoint and I have moved on to the next one, instead of insisting that I go back to that exact point I supposedly missed. My late model Garmin 396, apparently based off modern automotive models, is not very good at this, and mostly just serves for point to point destination directions. I have also tried using an iPhone for motorcycle ride routing, but it was unsatisfactory. The Garmin screens work much better with gloves than the phone screen, and the phone isn’t waterproof.

When I went to the Smokies last week, the GPS gave me nearly all of my turn directions, but I had no exact preplanned route, just some ideas and general mental waypoints. I created the routes on the fly, on the GPS, as I moved along the way, improvising as I went.

Nothing wrong with using written directions, either, but as I don’t always preplan a route, I’d need a pencil and eraser, and lots of paper maps.

None of my vehicles have navigation built into the dash. I always use stand alone GPS or phone in/on them.

Note the more recent Garmin Zumo's have "adventure routing" that picks the smaller, curvier roads to any point. I use that all the time, and only turn it off if I'm trying to get somewhere fast. It works remarkably well ... so much so it will send you down residential streets to avoid major roads if you max the settings. It also has a "round trip" app that calculates round trips based on time or distance from any point. I use this a lot for shorter weekend rides when I've got a couple hours and want to do something different -- I just let the Zumo calculate a course for me based on time on a round trip from my home.

The XT (and XT2) have some "connected ride" stuff that now tries to link up to your riding buddies' Zumo's. I cannot fathom the utility of that and put that feature in the basket with all the iPhone "upgrades" that don't improve call quality. Focus on improving the core stuff, Garmin.

Back