• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Not only the road can be slippery when wet...

Motodrocher

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I was putting my bike on the center stand after a rainy ride and did it as usual - stepping on the stand while holding the bike without forcing it up or backward. But my foot slipped off the stand when it was "almost there" and my foot ended up right under the stand. The bike leaned the opposite side and I could barely hold it pulling back. As a result I forced it to come back the price of some minor back ache and a scratch on a two days old riding boot.

2014-11-25 10.53.38.jpg

So:
1. Wear a proper gear)))) If that happened to me two days ago before I got the riding boots with hard toe protection I would have dropped the bike just because I wouldn't force it back to squeeze my toe with the center stand.
2. Check the grip of your sole before stepping on the stand
3. Get a rubber boot for the stand anchor (or whatever it is called) so it wouldn't slip out any more

Bummer on the boots. That said, a riding boot should not have laces. Having a boot come untied and loose laces in the chain could be a recipe for disaster. I've even seen people have the loops get caught on the foot peg as they are reaching for the ground and end up falling over.

To each their own, but something to consider.

I feel for your misfortune but it sounds like it could've ended up a lot worse.

Oh and they ain't no riding boots, them there is trainers (Sneakers?). I wouldn't go out in anything less than my Sidi's or MX boots personally.

Oh and they ain't no riding boots, them there is trainers (Sneakers?). I wouldn't go out in anything less than my Sidi's or MX boots personally.

They look like they may be TCX X-Street "boots".

While not for me personally, they do appear to have at least saved his toes from an owie :eek:

Yes, L.B.S. is right they are the TSX ant they are not a "state of the art protective" but I feel comfortable riding wearing them as they are way better than just sneakers or any other casual shoes I have. Again they might be not steel toe shoes (pretty much not CSA boots) but nevertheless the shoe top didn't bend allowing the stand to slip off my foot and that exactly what i need in my RDING BOOTS (yes that's the way I like to call them:p). If I fall down at a high speed and will slide toes down a distance long enough to wear off the toe protection then I think I will have some bigger body damages to worry about...

Bummer on the boots. That said, a riding boot should not have laces. Having a boot come untied and loose laces in the chain could be a recipe for disaster. I've even seen people have the loops get caught on the foot peg as they are reaching for the ground and end up falling over.

To each their own, but something to consider.

I had this lesson in like 5-6th grade on bicycle :p Learned well, did tons of homework, and now zip and velcro my pants over the boots and check the laces occasionally at stops... Thanks for reminding though!

Last edited:
Throw some super glue on it,will be good to go.

It's not the shoe I was worried about! That't nothing, the photo is just to show what your toe might look like if you wear slippers... But most likely the bike would be down as I wouldn't feel comfortable holding my toes under the centre stand holding the bikes' weight. And as you can imagine in such situation you just have no time to make a half step back or aside to reposition your feet.

True.I only use my center stand when checking the chain.all other times its on the side stand,but that is my way.

Glad things did not end up worse. I believe someone had a similar situation just a few weeks back and the bike ended up on its right side. Glad you saved yours. I put my bike on the center stand every single day. I did not used to until the wind kept blowing peoples bikes over. There have been a couple instances where my boots could have slipped off the center stand foot pad because I did not take the time to ensure my foot was centered. I get in a rush sometimes and don't keep my foot completely level and centered. I have found that is the key.

Ideas?

1. Rubber Boot (You Mentioned). I've never seen it but they may be out there.

2. A piece of self-adhesive non-skid tape. I have heard of guys doing this and it works. It might need ot be replaced once in a while. They work on surfaces that get wet. Just think back to the days when people put them in bath tubs. You can get a role of take at Lowes to $9

3. You could rough up the pedal surface with a file or grinder and repaint it.

Boots ain't just for protecting your toes and feet. Think about your lower leg too.

Heres what I wear

MX.jpg

Or

bota_sidi_VertigoRain_Black.jpg

Never anything less.

1. Rubber Boot (You Mentioned). I've never seen it but they may be out there.

2. A piece of self-adhesive non-skid tape. I have heard of guys doing this and it works. It might need ot be replaced once in a while. They work on surfaces that get wet. Just think back to the days when people put them in bath tubs. You can get a role of take at Lowes to $9

3. You could rough up the pedal surface with a file or grinder and repaint it.

Yeah, the right side is the only place where the bike goes when your're messing with a center stand:D

I thought about all that and decided Option 2 is not for me, as I don't really like rely on anything that might fall off right at the moment when you "just used to to have it there". I'm doing my research on your third suggestion since the day it happened and will post some pics when it's done. Thanks!

Nice boots, but I don't like racing outfit though it gives the best protection. I prefer to have something casual looking for my rides to feel comfortable when I'm off the bike and cannot change. For me it minimizes the risk of taking a wrong decision one day to ride somewhere in regular shoes just because I won't be able to change my "proper boots" at the destination.

Back