• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Not quite an Adventure Bike

cattmando

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Rode from Aurora, IL to Evansville, IN on Friday after completing this series of mods. Rain, lightening, traffic, and everything from Interstate (i-55 and -57) to wet, sloppy, rough gravel/dirt. These tires have transformed the bike, handles better on and off pavement. The change in tire sizes did NOT phase the DCT. I can no longer flat foot without stretching. She leans farther left on the side stand and much easier to get on the center stand.
------
Not quite an adventure bike
Just some practical mods for the long haul:
Electric grips from Warm And Safe,
Electric connector for my Gerbing vest,
2-prong SAE plug for charging tablet and phone,
MadStat windscreen,
Flat seat mod
Ron Majors rack off my old ST, plus a light bar,
Honda panniers and mounts,
Raised front fender,
Puig rear hugger,
Michelin Commander 120/90-17 and 160/70-17 tires,
New chain n sprockets and Scott Oiler.

Chain is 113 links instead of 112 because of fat tire and hugger.
Had to add a vacuum port for the oiler, real PITA!

No pics as its all pretty standard stuff

Now in Kingman, AZ after a hot hot hot ride down from Nampa, ID. Also attended ST-Owners rally in Spearfish, SD. Hauled from IN to SD and again from Spearfish to Nampa. Still, I've added a thousand miles since doing these mods. Everything works, nearly. Broken wire in the Whelen brake light is the only real issue.

Rode some graded dirt in SD. Fresh Sodium Chloride made a real mess but high pressure hose cured it quickly. Scott Oiler lost a tip but that's fixed nown. Big tires are brilliant. Did have to raise the rear hugger for clearance. Chain and sprockets are good with the oiler working correctly.

Installing fork extensions and fender extender now. All is good in Kingman AZ.

Headed back to Idaho end of this week left the van at a friend's house up there. :)

Fork extensions installed it was a diddle. No jack needed, used each fork to support the other. First, loosen top and bottom pinch bolts and push that fork down a 1/2 inch or so and tighten the bottom bolt. Now loosen the top bolt on the other and swap out that cap. Loosen the bottom bolt, push this side down to flush and tighten both bolts. Swap the cap on the other side and, push it down flat. Now tighten it all up. But, Wait! That's Not All! The bike needs to be taller to make up for the extensions. I put a piece of 1x under the center stand. Works a charm

With all this done, now need to extend the side stand.
More to come. :)

I got my NC in 2013. It has made it to every state in the US including Alaska and Canada except D.C., NJ, RI, Mass.,and Conn. hoping to get them before winter of 2107. I've logged almost 82k. I run a service road or good dirt road. I usually run 80/20 tires right now Cont Attack 2. It weakness I think is the wind protection with the narrow windshield, mine is taller than stock by 4". It also has bark busters which help in the rain.

Last ride Chattanooga to Anchorage and back over 9600 miles in 21 days with lots of rain but some hail, snow and wind on paved and unpaved roads. When stopped in Alaskan Leather looking for a SENA 20 I was told it was the first NC to make the trip and sign the book which surprised me. My longest ride in one day was from west of Chidress TX home in 17 hours and 1100 miles.

In saying all that the bike is solid but I doubt the intent was to push it like I do. I ride with all kinds of bikes and most people marvel at the little NC. It's fuel mileage, its ability to handle on curves despite it under powered engine it stays up with the fast bikes in the mountains with average riders. What hurts me the most is the wind especially across the plains. I agree that all motorcycles can be an adventure bike but not all were intended to be. My plan is every state and 100k before finding another bike but I will most like hang on to the NC until it can't anymore. I recommend this bike for a do it all bike with a low price tag.

Sounds like a great adventure. I also completely agree with your assessment of the NC. With the low resale value and the list of things it's good at I'm keeping mine until the wheels fall off

Looked at commercial foot pads for the sidestand, priced from about 12 to 80 bucks. They all spread the load but add little to the length. I'm gonna make my own. Pics to follow.

Cut up a plastic pad , free. Some glue and screws will add a 1/2 inch to the sidestand.

After adding the fender extender, had to add more to the raised fender to prevent the trailing edge from contacting the tire. PITA, but done now. Still need to fix the broken wire in the brake light.

Broken wire fixed, fender all tight. Kick stand pad cut, glued, and screwed. Going for a ride now. It's only 94 out, and hotter at the river. :)

Sounds good George! The last 5 years I've generally ridden the NC more miles than the ST. I would not have thought that to be but I'm not complaining. I was looking forward to seeing 200,000 miles on my '05 but unless I stay in the saddle like you do it may not happen.

Are your ST1100s fully out to pasture?

After some more local riding around Western Arizona and SW Idaho, I'm back in Kingman for a couple weeks. Rode back up to Nampa, ID carrying a 2 gallon can of ga. Didnt need it but there's a couple of long stretches on the Route. Carried her back down in the van with lots of handyman tools. Front brake pads are shot, plus she needs a full maintenance. Also need to raise the rear hugger for more clearance on the fat tire. So far, she's a keeper.

Dave, sold the 91s cheap, then a week later totalled the 01. NaNCy is now my daily ride, with GLORIA, my 83 Wing used occasionally.

Just did a tune up and recommended maintenance on my NC, valve lash, coolant, oil and filters. Found three tight intakes. Reset all to mid point. Put in Rotella 10W30. She runs and shifts more smoothly. Since installing new chain and sprockets and chain oiler, haven't needed to adjust the chain. I think she's a keeper.

Did manage to Nick the radiator, got it fixed locally. It's all good.

Loading her in The Mobile CattHouse for a run to Southern IL, Western TN for an event and the Eclipse. Hitting the road within the hour. :)

Back