Nova Scotia? Route 66 to California? Where to go?

melensdad

Reaction score
Visit site
Favor of a reply from the Canadian members here ... are you hearing anything about Canada opening for tourism in LATE AUGUST or EARLY SEPTEMBER?

Specifically looking at New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island and Nova Scotia, possibly Quebec too

bigbird

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Our federal government doesn't give us any hint as to what's coming and when.
The borders are controlled through the CBSA.
The CBSA will not post anything about future openings until that info is released to the public.

melensdad

Reaction score
Visit site
On the news today there "may" be an update July 21. Super cryptic...but that is the way most things have been through this process.
Honestly I'm hoping for August 21, or a little later.

We will be losing our foster son in mid-August. Sometime in mid August I also have to get our foreign exchange student moved into her dorm at Notre Dame. After that point anything is fair game. So we will probably depart from N.W. Indiana (suburban Chicago) around August 20 and head up toward Maine. We tend to travel on 2 lane rural highways so it will take a week to get up to border in Maine. So September 1st is a realistic date to hit the border.

Being the optimistic guy that I am, i downloaded the maps for Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, Connecticut, Quebec, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island and Nova Scotia.

Last edited:

melensdad

Reaction score
Visit site
Actually nothing new to report.

This news story makes it sound like travel is opening up, but the reality is that nothing new is actually happening. At least not until after July 21. And we don't know if they will loosen up at that point. Tourism is still locked down.

I submit, for your reading displeasure, an optimistic spin on nothing much:

TheIronWarrior

Reaction score
Visit site
I think what's happening at the national level is that more and more things are being added to the "essential travel" list, while non-essential/tourist travel is still restricted.
For example, I can recall when travel to visit a spouse was not permitted. Now it seems that travel to visit a spouse, or even a committed partner (meeting a specific definition) is maybe permitted.
So all you need to do now is marry someone in NS and you're all set!

melensdad

Reaction score
Visit site
Starting to focus less on looking at the New England states in US, focusing more on getting THROUGH the midwestern states and western N.E. to get up the Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine, plus crossing into Canada.

We are not, nor do we have a desire to do IRON BUTT riding. Figure on 4-5 days to get to New Hampshire/Maine, that includes fairly easy riding with tourism.

melensdad

Reaction score
Visit site
And now today the USA has extended travel restrictions to August 21. Which would be just about the time we would be hitting the border. I have to get our foreign exchange student back to Notre Dame, her move in window is August 15th/16th. We figured we would leave Chicagoland approximately August 18. That puts us at the US/Canadian border sometime around August 25th, give or take a day, assuming we stop in Maine for a bit of touristy stuff.

melensdad

Reaction score
Visit site
So this arrived in the mail today.

Going to take a good hard look and do some trip planning.

It looks doable. Got to coordinate the travel dates, but we are looking at late August, early September. Biggest hangup may be our foster son, he is supposed to be 'reunited' into his grandmother's care in mid-August, if that goes as scheduled then we could head out of town before late August.

There is now some question about the timeline of our foster son leaving our home, a possible delay that could scuttle plans for a nice trip. We have to be home by September 10, that is a hard date that cannot be changed, due to other obligations.

tempImagexLlzxE.jpg