• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

odometer??

johnakay

Site Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
OK I know mine isn't an NC but has chain driven gear.
theres a debate going on on another forum that I'm a member of.
the question is by changing the front sprocket from 16th to 17th this in theory raise the speedo reading by 1/16th or something like that.
so previously the speedo read 30mph when in fact its 28mph.
changing my front sprocket to 17 tooth made no difference still over read by 2mph.
what some are saying the the odometer will give a higher reading in mileage.
this is what one member mention and another replied...
I've heard changing sprockets can rack up your mileage. what does the odometer read off of?

Yes it does. Re read previous posts on the thread. It will explain how and why it's affected.
I've re-read the post but cannot find any explanation to how or why mileage will increase.
can any of you guy guy are able to explain??

If your speedo uses the front wheel to sense speed, then gearing will change nothing in regard to your speedo reading.
BUT, tire size will change how your speedo reads.

If you bike senses speed by the motors output shaft, then with a larger gear on the front you will see a difference.

If speed and distance is displayed on and electronic display, then speed/distance is in all probability calculated by sensing the rotational speed of the transmission output shaft. Changing relative sprocket sizes (ratios) will effect the the speed and odometer readings. If the motorcycle has ABS, then there will be speed sensors on the front and rear wheels. However, they are used for sensing small, precise differences in wheel speeds used by the ABS control computer. I don't think front wheel rotation speed has been used for determining speed/distance once speedometer cables were done away with.

OK thanks. I'd rather my clock over reads.
all I was concerned about is racking up false miles on the odo.

typically odometer reads more accurately than speedo, which tends to report a higher speed than actual, though both figures are derived from output shaft. but to find out how accurate it is, compare to GPS.

I dropped my front sprocket 1 tooth to 15 on my manual NC2012. The speed differential is negligible, like 3 mph at 55. It does seem to have more pickup at the stoplights. I used a gps but it is hard to read while riding.

well would you believe it.
this ol fool (me lol) read the speedo wrong.went out yesterday did a 160 mile run with the wife.
and notice I was doing 45 in a 30 mph zone that is when I realise it was reading in km so the total odo reading was 4822 in km.
changed it back to mph and 2999 miles .what a relief.

Back