• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

OEM 12v Outlet "How I Did It" Video

Agent

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I recently installed my OEM 12v Outlet on my 2012 NC700X. I've put together a video series going step by step through the installation process. I would have had a fourth video with the reinstallation of the plastic pieces, but the camera battery died and I didn't realize it. Besides, it's just a backtracking process anyway. They are long, but I've cut and shortened where I thought I could.

Here are the links.

Part 1 (Setup, relay and fuse)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EObh5cJR_oU

Part 2 (Plastic removal)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeJhJRASV70

Part 3 (Installation and wiring of the outlet)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1_DUQ1HXjg

This would have been helpful back in January when I hooked up my heated grips. Removing, and reinstalling the plastic was a PIA :p

Next idea : some screws are very similar but not exactly same (diameter and height of the shoulder under the head of screw)

Use a piece of cardboard and plant the screws inside during the work. You never invert 2 screws for reassembly.
pensebete2.jpg
;)

Thanks for those great videos Agent. Much appreciated.
There were a couple of things that really surprised me though.
First was the ridiculously LOOOONNNNGGG harness wires. I personally would have cut those as short as possible.
Second, I personally would have opted to hook the socket directly to the battery with an inline fuse.
There are many times when you may want to have power while the key was off and removed like to charge a camera or GPS or whatever, while you're having lunch.
Of course this means I'd actually have to remember to unplug these items before parking the bike for any extended period of time.
Unless I'm mistaken, having the relay in there eliminates that possibility, right?
And the last thing didn't become apparent until you added the little sticker inside the frunk.
ONE, I say ONE amp???????:confused:
That's an absurdly low current rating for an accessory outlet. For me personally, I would have been much more happy with at least a 5-10 amp rating.
But then again, everyone has their own ideas on what they want or need.
Having said all that, the videos were still VERY informative and appreciated.
Thanks.

Just did this to mine. Thanks for the video. I was left with one extra plastic rivet. I went ahead and hooked up my Battery Tender wires too.

Those Honda plastics are a booger to get off. Even when you know he "tricks" they will get you wondering if you really know what you're doing!

First Agent, thank you very much for these excellent Videos! I just received my sub harnes and relay kit from Honda. I am installing a dual usb port on the handlebar tomorrow. Your video will save me both time and aggravation, I am sure.

Second this is why I choose to donate to this site. Between your work, and the work of others like the windscreen reviews, seat reviews, saddlebag standoff DIY mods, and so much other information my donation is very little money very well spent. To all those who add information to this site THANK YOU ALL. Someday I hope I will be able to add some helpful information myself.

How many wires are there in the female coupler of the harness?
Colors? I notice the motorcycle male coupler has five wires going in,
but am sure not all five are used by the harness.

There were only three wires used in the sub-harness green=ground, brown = switched 12v, and blue, the blue wire only wint to the 4 pin connector for Honda fog lights. I didn't use that connector however I believe the blue is a high beam trigger so the fog lights only work on low beam.

There were only three wires used in the sub-harness green=ground, brown = switched 12v, and blue, the blue wire only wint to the 4 pin connector for Honda fog lights. I didn't use that connector however I believe the blue is a high beam trigger so the fog lights only work on low beam.

The blue wires carries a high beam signal, but be aware that the signal is apparently present at the connector only when installed on 2012 and 2013 models (in the US).

Last edited:
has anyone determined where you can purchase a connector that plugs into the accessory harness? I am hoping to install this harness and then plug in a GPS into the accessory harness.

The GPS simply has a black and red wires, no fuse or switch. I wanted to avoid hard wiring to the battery so I don't accidentally drain it.

Thanks

EDIT:

I think i found the answer in this thread: http://nc700-forum.com/forum/nc700-mods/3146-corresponding-connectors.html

It links to these connectors:
Motorcycle 2.8mm - 110 Connector and Terminals

Last edited:
Those are the ones I ordered, worked perfect. I ordered the three pin connectors, one in each color and one 4 pin. I only used one three pin for my USB hookup but I wanted spares I case I wanted to add something else later. That outfit ships promptly and I had them 3 days after I placed my order.

Back