• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Offroad winch comes standard on all bikes?

Great idea! As soon as I saw your post I figured out what they were going to do. Why didn't I think of that before? Good thing I was able to skip the first five minutes of the video to get to the meat of it. (I have no patience for videos).

Be sure to bring a knife along to cut that tightly wound wad of twine out of your wheel.

I read this when it was first published. Only in extreme circumstances would I consider the method. I ride solo mainly and I try not to ever put myself in such straits in the first place, though a couple times -- once recently where I got into snow, and attendant spring melt -- I was desperate enough but finally found a downhill path back to tenable tracks ; }

"Chris does admit after the test that there are a few things he still needs to work out. This may not end up being a practical solution for a timed race but the technique just might get you and your bike out of a hopeless situation while out adventure riding. With enough time you could cut out the rope or take the wheel off to untangle it, then be back on your way again."

Its a cool emergency situation winch. But I bet his spokes were not all 100% straight after that... personally I think it may do some damage, but what do I know, I'm not a Red Bull ADV superstar! :D

I forget where I heard it or read it, but someone claimed they were able to pull a bike out of a muddy water hole by tying paracord from the left footpeg of his bike to the right footpeg of the other bike. The rider whose bike was stuck was off the bike and giving it throttle to assist, but still a cool story...if true.

I forget where I heard it or read it, but someone claimed they were able to pull a bike out of a muddy water hole by tying paracord from the left footpeg of his bike to the right footpeg of the other bike. The rider whose bike was stuck was off the bike and giving it throttle to assist, but still a cool story...if true.
Must've been a real good paracord.
But footpeg to footpeg is the standard tow method:
Towing a dead motorcycle - YouTube

Mental note - stick a wad of paracord in the frunk and test its strength with my NC' when time permits.

Ray

I know the military grade para cord had a tensile strength of 550 pounds and we actually called if 550 cord. The bike alone would appear to be pushing its limits but it is worth a try. A bike that is really stuck in the mud might require more force that para cord can handle but pulling a bike up a hill as shown in the video might be possible. Maybe?

The guys on the KLR thread on ADV refer tow straps as KTM straps, because they say they're most likely to be pulling a KTM out of something he can't get out of. I thought it was pretty funny.

I would go to dyneema (amsteel). As the wikipedia says "The all-nylon construction makes paracord fairly elastic." which means if it breaks....

Videos....

"670cc,
Why didn't I think of that before? Good thing I was able to skip the first five minutes of the video to get to the meat of it. (I have no patience for videos).'

670cc,

Videos can be a bit bothersome and I assume you know you can....on many videos....hit the 'L' key to advance the video around 10 seconds, just as you can hit the 'K' key to stop the video and the 'J' key to back it up a bit. This does not work on Vimeo, but there might be something else that does that I'm not aware.

You probably know this but just in case you don't.

Slo_Rider

Last edited:
Pull tape would be answer to the paracord. Pull tape is 1/2” wide flat polyester and comes in varies strengths like 1200, 1800, 2500,4000 and 6000. I carry 1800 # on the bike and ATVs. As come in handy on the ATV more than once.

It’s real job is to pull wires primarily by utility companies. I found mine in HUGE tangle on the side of the road. Suspect the workers did not want to deal with the mess.

570F55D4-DE71-4A3F-A9AC-469F6683453B.jpg

Polyester Pull Tape

Last edited:
Back