• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Oil change sanity check

badgopher

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm grabbing everything I need to do this, oil change plus valve check

2014 nc700x, manual.

4 quarts mobil 1 racing 4T 10x40 motorcycle oil

Kn 204-1 filter

1 gallon zerex 50/50 blue Asian silicate free coolant

Also grabbing an oil pan, I have a filter wrench and I think all the fittings and allen keys.

Some people will suggest replacing the oil drain plug crush washer. I do, about every other oil change. Other people poo-poo the crush washer change, and yet another camp will launch into a discussion about annealing the old washer. The short answer is you might want to order a bag of oil plug crush washers. They need to be the right diameter and material, but not necessarily genuine Honda parts.

I strongly suggest you have a set of torque wrenches, very good tools for working on motorcycle engines. Of particular concern is the cylinder head cover bolts. I found it funny that at least one person on the forum has self reported breaking not just one, but two of these bolts.

Honda has migrated over time to primarily recommending 10w-30 oil. The 10w-40 is also acceptable per the service manual. I use either one, depending on what I have on hand. Operationally, and mpg wise, I can’t tell any difference between the two.

I'll order some washers. Do you know the spec off hand? I'm in no rush on this one, might as well get everything in hand.

I do have a torque wrench that has only rarely been used as a hammer so should be in calibration.

The 10w40 was on sale, so that's what's going in :)

I'll order some washers. Do you know the spec off hand? I'm in no rush on this one, might as well get everything in hand.

I do have a torque wrench that has only rarely been used as a hammer so should be in calibration.

The 10w40 was on sale, so that's what's going in :)
The drain plug is a 12 mm bolt, so 12 mm I.D. washer.

Honda part number:
94109-12000WASHER, DRAIN PLUG (12MM)$0.97

Last edited:
Back