• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Oil Change with metal in oil?

fleetingyouth

Reaction score
Visit site
Just did my oil change which was overdue but the bike has only been used for commuting this summer and the oil looked pretty good.

I've been having some issues with the bike and haven't been able to diagnose so I checked the pan after draining for metal. I have two issues right now that have been bothering me. One is an ongoing problem for the last year or more. I can hear a noticeable sound like sent between two metal discs turning quickly. almost like the breaks are rubbing as the tire turns but it's not the breaks. This sound also has a second sound when on the throttle that is louder and more abbrasive that goes away when letting off the throttle leaving just the first sound. I have posted numerous times on the forum about this and tried everything imaginable to diagnose it with nothing fixing the noise.

The second issue Just started recently and I thought at first might be the clutch acting up but now think it might just be the chain. I posted about it HERE It is very hard for me to tell the difference between the clutch clunking and the chain clunking on the front sprocket. The chain seems to be at the right slack but there is a good amount of side to side movement which seems unusal. So I'm going to tighten that now and see if it changes the clunking. The chain is the stock with over 16k on it so its time to change it. I'm more worried it might be the clutch. When I try to replicate the issue it does seem to happen most when letting of the throttle and giving it throttle seems to me to indicate the chain. Though I have heard it clunk a couple times while costing just before the gear down shifts.

In the oil pan I noticed two things a lot of goldish flakes and some larger bits. I put a magnet to it, the larger bits are not magnetic and seem like small shavings. The gold doesn't seem to be magnetic either however There where a bunch of silver bits that were on the magnet. This makes me very nervous just because of Im unsure if my clutch is acting up. I imagine the gold could be from the clutch.

IMG_1302.jpg

IMG_1305.jpg

IMG_1304.jpg

Bad news, maybe.

Your description and pictures may indicate that a rod or main bearing has failed. I hope not, because that would be very expen$ive. Was the pan you drained the oil into scrupulously clean to start with (no pieces in it before you drained the sump)?

If you saved your drained oil, go to Blackstone Labs for instructions (they send you a kit) on how to send them a sample. They can analyze it and tell you more than you want to know about what's in it.

Good luck.

How many miles are on this bike? 16,000?

The Blackstone Labs idea sounds good.

I’ve never heard a clutch clunking but have definitely heard a chain clunking. Change the chain.

Then, wear good earplugs and just enjoy the ride. I couldn’t tell you what an NC is supposed to sound like. When I can’t hear the engine at all, it means I’ve got the earplugs in correctly.

Last edited:
Flakes in the oil are somewhat normal with a wet clutch.
If you had a rod knocking, you would know it. They are loud ticking/knocking noise.

Cut your oil filter open and see what's inside if your real concerned.

I'd just ride it. Chances are it's nothing.

As far as th clunk when shifting from N to 1st or N to 2nd ............we have talking about that clunk since 2012. It pretty much normal. Most of the clunk noise is the dogs on the gears dropping in slots on the opposing gears. Some NC owners to avoid the clunk start the engine in first gear with clutch in. Drive away with no clunk because there is no dropping into gear with that initial clunk of the gear slop and dogs engagement.

Try this while Standing still.......engine running N to 1st big clunk, now shift to second no big clunk, now back to first no big clunk. Back to neutral......let the clutch out.....pull-up the clutch in Now N to first big clunk is back.

The clunk can be different based on chain tension ( too loose and too tight) and the condition of the rear cushion rubbers.

Picture below is an example of the gear dogs and the engagement point.

4C8B516B-38B2-49E5-A45D-4CA8F20002F2.jpg

0DC1E421-2344-4037-BDDC-E97215CE9BAE.jpg

Last edited:
Flakes in the oil are somewhat normal with a wet clutch.
If you had a rod knocking, you would know it. They are loud ticking/knocking noise.

Cut your oil filter open and see what's inside if your real concerned.

I'd just ride it. Chances are it's nothing.

noticed very fine metal flakes in the oil last oil change....at 121,000 miles.
Ride the bike. Don't let a tiny worry like that spoil your fun!

Thanks everyone I sent away for the kit and will cut open the filter just to be sure. I know my chain is shot and it is causing some of the issues I am having. So ive ordered a new one and will see how it rides with the new chain before doing anything else.

One last thing I realized after cleaning up 1.6 quarts of the oil I put in was actually 20-50 and not the 10-40 I boutht. Same bottle design someone must have put them in the same spot at the store and I didnt even notice. Will that cause any issues? Should I replace the oil or is the thicker oil close enough that it shouls be fine?

If it were me, I would change the oil. You have a DCT and the thicker oil may affect the operation a bit. I have a manual and I would still change it. Thicker oil takes longer for the initial flow.
If you lived in Arizona, I would probably say run it since the temps there are so much higher.

But, that's just my opinion. Oil is cheep. Why worry.

JT

I would put the recommended oil type in the engine. 20w-50 is too thick. It’s a shame to have to change it back out, but it is what it is. I wouldn’t worry about the small amount that’s in the oil filter.

My personal protocol is to take one more look at the oil bottle before I pour the oil in the engine.

Last edited:
You can pull the filter off and drain it. Then spin it back on. The filter should be fine. Just make sure the gasket is ok.

JT

The BS labs sample is good for entertainment value, and will tell you things that may be useful, but an analysis of that type does not and cannot 'see' chunks that you can see with your naked eyes.

I'd also change the oil if it was my bike, and I _do_ live in southern Arizona. (-:

did my oil change this weekend - took a quick look in the oil but did not see anything... also didn't look too hard, no need to get myself anymore anxiety :rolleyes:

Back